Anyone else into the Fire Emblem Nintendo series?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Anyone else into the Fire Emblem Nintendo series?

Postby Psyre » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:51 pm

I think Fire Emblem has been the longest running interest in video games for me. I love retro gaming, particularly SNES and GBA, but get down on a little NES and Genesis too. Anyway ever since 2003 when Fire Emblem became localized, i've been hooked. Now with the advent of classic gaming reproductions and translation patches, life has been blown open with long desired access to these games. I'm about halfway through Fire Emblem 6 (Binding Blade) on gba. This features Roy from Super Smash Melee.

I recently started Mystery of the Emblem for SNES, a remake of the first 2 for NES. These feature Marth of SSBM as well. The first 3 chapter of this game were featured on the instantly discontinued FE anime, which I also owned (what a let down due to only having 2 episodes ever 8''''( )

I have Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 in the bullpen. I just can't wait to finally play.

Anyway, I'm sure this thread will get little to no response, but if you are a fan of strategy and RPG's, these games are MUSTS. Perma- death and gteat stories are the driving factors.
That being said, I have not played any of them past Sacred Stones, but will have to eventually. I just prefer the 2d format to the newer 3d games.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Anyone else into the Fire Emblem Nintendo series?

Postby calfzilla » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 am

I wasn't a fan of the newest games... You can take away perma-death and almost have to. Some of the battles got a little head scratching, like scorched map tiles driving you towards an enemy that had you outnumbered 2 to 1. Maybe it was just the nostalgia of playing sacred stones, but I didn't care for those mechanics. I may pick one up again (awakenings or something) just to see if I'm back in the swing of gaming.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby Psyre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Interesting, I heard decent things about Path of Radiance, but I didn't even go that far. I got about 3/4 of the way through Sacred Stones and had to give the borrowed copy back. That's the one I plan to play after I finish 6....which is by far the most difficult in the series for me. Some maps have taken me well into 2 weeks to beat. Sometimes the recruitment process is just brutal in 6.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Fire Emblem’s okay. I don’t really care about storylines, so, I get a little tired of all the exposition.

Advanced Wars was a much better fit for how I play

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:21 pm

I can understand that. I had a short stint of Advanced Wars, mainly the second. The story is very little of appeal to me, although Geneology and Thracia 776 by far have the most dark/complex.
All in all, I was mostly bummed out by advanced wars. Reminded me too much of real war where units are a number not a name. More than the story it was the complexity of keeping yur whole batalion alive as a strategist that keeps me coming back to FE. Even characters I have no affinity for, I'm still getting them back to their sick and crippled children, damnit!
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 am

That makes sense. Fire Emblem really offers much more challenging gameplay if you play it like that. My favorite strategy has always been making large numbers of the cheapest vehicle and swarming the battlefield like ants. And that really doesn’t translate into Fire Emblem at all.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Discussion