What's your favourite non-ILFcast podcast?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What's your favourite non-ILFcast podcast?

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 am

Inconuucl wrote:Chapo's traphouse is trash and they people behind it are abusive assholes. :duck:

Abusive?
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby ognoy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:59 pm

My favourite podcast atm is "The 5049 Podcast".
Great conversations between, mostly, experimental musicians and the host, Jeremiah Cymerman.
Mostly NY-based musicians.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PanicProne » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
Lore: Spooky podcast about ghost stories and such, lots of history mixed in, dealing with the originals of a lot of horror tropes, expertly written.

Ok, this sounds like riiiight up my alley. I studied folklore as a part of an ethnology course at uni a while ago and got super hooked and tried finding good podcasts covering stuff like this but never really ended up sticking with any of them and eventually just gave up. Might give it another go with this one though.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby BitchPudding » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Pod Minutes to Cast Night, the official podcast of Two Minutes to Late Night. The cast of 2MTLN listen to bad albums and try to find stuff they like about them. Hijinks ensue. https://soundcloud.com/2m2ln
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
Critical Role (Although mostly through video): the stupid DnD cast has taken over my life, send help. their ability to improvise gripping stories is amazing, granted they are professional voice actors.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: CR is the best for flights and commuting.

Are we counting Dark Barn's podcast? That's a good one. Also welcome to night vale was fun but too short and the music for breaks was always so, so bad.

I have heard good things about Lore and if INC and his unimpeachable taste approve I will have to investigate
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby apparish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Favorite podcast of All Time is Mysterious Universe. Two Aussie hosts discuss all things strange and paranormal. Personally I liked it a lot more several years back when they covered all types of cryptids and aliens and shit, but it's still a great show with high production value. I feel like I've heard every paranormal podcast out there, but this is the only one i can hang with.

Bodega Boys is consistently hilarious and I listen to it every week. Pretty much consumes all my Comedy Podcast Listening Time.

Casefile is my go to for True Crime. The ads are annoying but all ads are annoying. Great if you want to hear a dude talk about stalkers, backstabbers, and all things murdery.

Other than that: Intercepted for News, Tabs Out for Music (even though, no bullshit kinda, I wish these dudes would just start a podcast where they fuck off the whole time making jokes and dropping samples for an hour and a half. Very funny and dumb show), Joe Budden Podcast for the Culture, Unexplained for some more paranormal and creepy stories (also hoping Bedtime Stories starts uploading new episodes. For the Heebie Jeebies)
apparish

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

Good sugestions, will check them out!

As a follow up question: what do you guys look for in a podcast, putting the actual topic of it aside. What makes a good podcast host?
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 am

One (very brief) former editor of your editor in chief (that's me by virtue of Jero) David Roth is on the Deadspin Deadcast and he's always a lovely person to listen to because not only is he whip smart he also routinely says things in such a way that make you under why you couldn't have said that thing yourself.

Obviously I see a lot of him in myself. Physically. Late at night. Sometimes in the early afternoon.

Literal and figurative Onanism aside, being a good podcast host is just like being a good interviewer, in that you need to let people expound while guiding the conversation.

Also if you sound like, speak like, or otherwise exhibit any trace of Ira Glass the state of California should stick you with a carcinogenic label.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Pop culture:
The Way I Heard It w/Mike Rowe [mostly short stories of assorted lore]
The Bill Simmons Podcast [formerly The BS Report]

Nerdy NBA:
Dunc'd On
The Lowe Post
The Woj Pod
House of Strauss

Comedians talking:
Monday Morning Podcast [Bill Burr]
Fitzdog Radio [Greg Fitzsimmons]
The Joe Rogan Experience
Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank
WTF [Maron]
The Comedy Cellar: Live from the Table
Mohr Stories [Jay Mohr]
The Chip Chipperson Podcast
Real Time with Bill Maher (it counts yeah?)
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Rusty how do you listen to Lowe and Simmons and not want to change the channel immediately.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm

The short answer is "I'm a bit off."
Simmons asks interesting questions when interviewing interesting people. Entertaining guy. His associates and employees are a harder listen for the most part. Still do :idk: insert n3twerk laughing into the mic at full vol :whoa: I'd say I catch 70% of the content.

Lowe grates on me more lately, I mostly check for when he has Howard Beck & Brian Windhorst on as guests. Jackie MacMullan too. He has a good speaking/host chemistry with various insiders I can tolerate. I'd say I catch a third of the content.

The ones who make me want to change the channel immediately as of late: Rachel Nichols, Broussard, Screamin' A & Skip obv.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:24 pm

D.o.S. wrote:One (very brief) former editor of your editor in chief (that's me by virtue of Jero) David Roth is on the Deadspin Deadcast and he's always a lovely person to listen to because not only is he whip smart he also routinely says things in such a way that make you under why you couldn't have said that thing yourself.

Anything where Drew Magary speaks freaks me out because I read him for years before he did podcasts or videos and his actual voice doesn't match at all. (I was expecting less bass, more 'Minnesota Bill Simmons.')
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Inconuucl wrote:Good sugestions, will check them out!

As a follow up question: what do you guys look for in a podcast, putting the actual topic of it aside. What makes a good podcast host?

I essentially use podcasts as a way to feel like I have a few buds around just talking about random shit while im chilling or playing video games or some shit. So anything thats talky works. PM2CN, H3 Podcast, ILF cast of course. That kind of thing. Certain casts always have my attention and are dope as fuck listens, big fucking shout out to the No Sleep podcast. Great podcast if your into horror, not the best choice if your alone in your studio late at night soldering and then the lights go out. :lol:

As far as a good host. Someone with a lot of character. Again using Pod Minutes as an example, Gwarsenio is a super charismatic dude with a very recognizable voice whos also stupid funny. When he talks, you know its him. That whole operation wouldn't work without him. Ethan from H3 is similar, except you replace the charm with awkwardness. Our own JWAR and Invisibleman are that way too. Sexy ass voiced b i t c h e s. :love:

So yea, not necessary for me to enjoy a podcast, but definitely keeps me coming back.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Music-related podcasts that aren't artists doing press for their newest thing (Song Exploder seems like that) and aren't just boring-ass gear talk? I like them to straddle the line between the work/influences and process (which can include gear).

Hanging Out With Audiophiles has some good ones - when it's a mixing engineer I usually bail but like the Haxan Cloak episode is nice because they're really excited about how each of them makes music
mylarmelodies Why We Bleep with Adrian Utley is excellent
Darwin Grosse's Art Music Technology is good, very local NPR-like interviewing style but it's hard to get into them when I've never heard of the artist
Talkhouse has some good conversations between artists, varies heavily based
Joe Wong's Trap Set - he gets some great guests, highly recommend his interview with Janet Weiss after she left Sleater-Kinney

Turned Out A Punk - these never work for me, I subscribe again every few months because there's a guest I'm interested in but the interviews are really shallow most of the time
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby Achtane » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:01 pm

Ear Hustle: Covers all aspects of day to day prison life, co-hosted by a prisoner in San Quentin and a social worker who advocates for prisoners.

Stuff You Should Know: 2 dudes talkin it up educationally-like about all kinds of subjects, one subject per episode.

Car Talk: a classic, dudes. NPR releases an old episode once per week.

JDM Imported: a dude documents his journey into starting a kick-ass Japanese auto import business.

Citations Needed: filthy lefties attacking your freedoms.

Factually! With Adam Conover: host of Adam Ruins Everything discusses various subjects at length with guests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion