Are we angry about this? - TC TonePrint Complaints

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Are we angry about this? - TC TonePrint Complaints

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Your example is just holdover 50's marketing that is still around because old ideas still work on people that don't think for themselves enough. please try harder.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:15 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Let's not pretend that there aren't companies that specifically target women as their customer base, in the process alienating men.

Name one pedal corporation, though.
Just one.

Also, it seems that it's clear enough to TC that the Steel Panther fan-base just aren't a significant enough target audience to piss off the target audiences that aren't into this. :poke:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:Your example is just holdover 50's marketing that is still around because old ideas still work on people that don't think for themselves enough. please try harder.

And the holdover 80s hair metal isn't? It still works obviously. Why try harder if it works ?

I don't really care I just find it strange that everyone shits their pants about it sometimes but not others.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah, but it's not like plumbing, or whatever, has historically excluded or ignored men and minimized their contributions to the field. The context isn't quite as loaded.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:39 pm

misterstomach wrote:Yeah, but it's not like plumbing, or whatever, has historically excluded or ignored men and minimized their contributions to the field. The context isn't quite as loaded.

Sure and like I said I'm not saying it's the same caliber of offense, just that the marketing tactic is the same and it's not based off fairness and inclusion etc. It's just a misguided attempt to make cash. This same thing came up with the pinup guitar magazine issues etc..

Does Snap-On tools still distribute swimsuit or less calendars?

Lots of that weird stuff around still
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 pm

There was a bit of backlash about that, too. Google hapless husband or doofy dad ads.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Was gonna ask how much does it cost to stroke your pride in front of your buds when they say "aw bra got d'pussy MELTER OOHH! (beavis/buttheadlaughter) but then reading up on reverb articles about it ..apparently big muff may be too much at some point as well. ...big muff turns into what...Ruff tone!
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby _themissingshade_ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:41 pm

aens_wife wrote:I am probably going to regret saying anything BUT

IT ISN"T ABOUT THE FUCKING JOKE. I like dirty jokes. A lot. But I don't make them everywhere, with all people, right? I edit myself for my audience (as almost all of us do) because I don't need to make people around me uncomfortable.

So when a company makes a "joke" like this with a product, what they are saying is that they don't give a fuck who is uncomfortable with said joke. That generally shakes out to them not caring about women's thoughts on this stuff. Sure, some women don't care. But everyone knows that *some* women do care. A lot. By making these jokes, companies are telling women that they do not prioritize them as customers - that they want the men who will laugh at that joke more than they want the women who will not.

Again, I am not a prude and if someone made this joke in person to me, I would likely laugh. But I don't appreciate this kind of marketing which is KNOWN to alienate women and attract certain types of dudes. This isn't rocket science or some kind of conspiracy to end all sex jokes, guys. It's pretty basic and lines up directly with how lots of dudes treat me (and other women I know) in this industry.

I hope you don't regret it because these are important points.
_themissingshade_

Postby Benn Roe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:
dubkitty wrote:the thing i find striking about all this, ESPECIALLY in the TGP thread, is just how ready a whole lot of men are to mansplain to women what they can be offended by. seems kinda presumptuous to me.

Dubs, isn't the inverse also true though? Who is anyone to to tell anyone else that they should be offended? My girlfriend is not offended by this, she thinks people who are offended by it are ridiculous. So, are you or any of the guys here, or women here, or around the world going to explain to her why she should be offended? Why does your opinion matter more than hers?

In summary, i am not advocating for people to be offended or not be offended. But rather that everyone stop jamming their own values down other peoples throats 24 hours a day.

It really isn't about being offended at all, and--even if it were--I very much doubt anyone here would tell your girlfriend she should feel offended by it. That would be bizarre. It's also not about one person's opinions mattering more than another's, though it baffles me that you think spreading the word that you're offended by something is an example of jamming your values down people's throats, but that saying an offensive thing on a public platform isn't. I'm not easily offended, but I do believe that all people should be free to pursue their interests without being made to feel they're not welcome. As a dude, I've never been asked by a guitar store clerk if I'm shopping for a partner, or otherwise treated like I didn't belong there, but lots and lots of women have. If your girlfriend can't relate to that experience, that's awesome; maybe even a sign of progress. Maybe she's not involved in traditional rock instrumentation, or maybe she's just been really lucky about where she's shopped. Has she never experienced condescension from a mechanic? Has she been lucky enough to escape sexism in every aspect of her life? Either way, it doesn't diminish the fact that many women have been treated badly and made to feel they didn't belong, in this industry as well as in many others. The phrase "pussy melter" doesn't need to make you blush for you to recognize that it perpetuates a closed door that many would-be guitarists have encountered just for being women.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby theavondon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:56 pm

infamousalien wrote:Ah yes straight to the nazi thing. The official response of soy boys who have no argument.

lmao this dude seriously just used this term

Y'ALL.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby repoman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:03 pm

i dont care
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby infamousalien » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:10 pm

theavondon wrote:
infamousalien wrote:Ah yes straight to the nazi thing. The official response of soy boys who have no argument.

lmao this dude seriously just used this term

Y'ALL.

Did you just assume my gender?! :lol: Actually I used it tongue-in-cheek because that term comes up a lot here and people jokingly refer to people here and themselves as that. Nice try though. I stand by that statement. Anyone who resorts to insults and name calling has no argument.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:00 pm

i would reply to Nora, but bennroe pretty much said everything i would say better than i would have done. thanks! :thumb:

that was one of the appalling things on the TGP thread, people using "soy boys" seriously.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Ugly Nora » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 pm

bennroe wrote:
Ugly Nora wrote:
dubkitty wrote:the thing i find striking about all this, ESPECIALLY in the TGP thread, is just how ready a whole lot of men are to mansplain to women what they can be offended by. seems kinda presumptuous to me.

Dubs, isn't the inverse also true though? Who is anyone to to tell anyone else that they should be offended? My girlfriend is not offended by this, she thinks people who are offended by it are ridiculous. So, are you or any of the guys here, or women here, or around the world going to explain to her why she should be offended? Why does your opinion matter more than hers?

In summary, i am not advocating for people to be offended or not be offended. But rather that everyone stop jamming their own values down other peoples throats 24 hours a day.

It really isn't about being offended at all, and--even if it were--I very much doubt anyone here would tell your girlfriend she should feel offended by it. That would be bizarre. It's also not about one person's opinions mattering more than another's, though it baffles me that you think spreading the word that you're offended by something is an example of jamming your values down people's throats, but that saying an offensive thing on a public platform isn't. I'm not easily offended, but I do believe that all people should be free to pursue their interests without being made to feel they're not welcome. As a dude, I've never been asked by a guitar store clerk if I'm shopping for a partner, or otherwise treated like I didn't belong there, but lots and lots of women have. If your girlfriend can't relate to that experience, that's awesome; maybe even a sign of progress. Maybe she's not involved in traditional rock instrumentation, or maybe she's just been really lucky about where she's shopped. Has she never experienced condescension from a mechanic? Has she been lucky enough to escape sexism in every aspect of her life? Either way, it doesn't diminish the fact that many women have been treated badly and made to feel they didn't belong, in this industry as well as in many others. The phrase "pussy melter" doesn't need to make you blush for you to recognize that it perpetuates a closed door that many would-be guitarists have encountered just for being women.

But the problem is, by calling for bans against Pussy Melter, and not something like the Big Muff, is you are still saying your values are more important than other people's values. That is to say, I gaurantee some woman somewhere is offened by the name Big Muff. First of all, not only is it a pussy reference, but the majority of women shave these days. So, it is also an old outdated stereotypical pussy reference. But you (and I am using you in the generic sense by the way), for whatever reason are not offended by the name Big Muff. So, you drew a line in the sand and said Pussy Melter is bad, and Big Muff is good. Why does your value system get to decide that for me? Why can't I decided what is good and what is bad for me?

Do you want to know the real reason people are attacking Pussy Melter and not Big Muff? It's because the Pussy Melter pedal/algorithm or whatever it is probably sounds like crap and is most likely never going to be used by anybody. In other words, there is little to personally lose by having it banned. On the other hand, probably half the people complaining about the Pussy Melter use, or have used a Big Muff or Big Muff clone and it is a core component of a lot of people's sound. Therefore, there is a lot to personally lose if that was banned. Heck, doesn't Dwarfcraft have a pedal based on a Big Muff?

The ironic thing about this whole situation is that if this uproar didn't occur, it wouldn't have been a blip on anyones radar and would have died a quiet death on its own because it was just plain stupid. But thanks to the "Streisand effect", Steel Panther is probably more popular than ever. TC Electronics, probably not so much though. They'll probably take a bit of a sales hit.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:10 pm

dubkitty wrote:i would reply to Nora, but bennroe pretty much said everything i would say better than i would have done. thanks! :thumb:

that was one of the appalling things on the TGP thread, people using "soy boys" seriously.

This is good to hear because you are a sweet and gentle man and I really don't want to argue with someone like that. :)
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion