Are we angry about this? - TC TonePrint Complaints

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Are we angry about this? - TC TonePrint Complaints

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:Alien - My apologies if any of my comments felt like an attack on you, i was being sarcastic. I showed this thread to my girlfriend and she yelled at me for arguing for the wrong side. :lol:

I didn't know you were being sarcastic. It's all good though. No hard feelings. I think it was a lot of misunderstanding all around. :thumb:
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 pm

_themissingshade_ wrote:
infamousalien wrote:
cherler wrote:You can't see the difference between naming a beer dick smasher and this add? There's a pretty huge difference, besides which genitalia are referenced.

My whole point was sometimes a bad joke is just a bad joke and there is not some sinister misogynist nazi conspiracy about everything. You don't need to go hunting for sexism because there is a lot of actual sexism occurring in everyday life all around.

Because you are getting so many replies so quickly, my own reply might just look like a pile on, but I merely want to make sense of things.

I don't think you are a nazi. But I do think that perhaps you have a misconception about sexism. You say there is a lot of actual sexism occurring in everyday life, well, is this TC example not everyday life? Even if we assume in good faith that it was "just a bad joke" with no intended harm, the matter remains that a number of employees agreed, tacitly or otherwise, that the joke was okay. The implication of this is that all the employees responsible are not questioning the rather blatant optics problem right in front of them. On the most charitable interpretation of events, they are acting analogously to people who "don't see race". The people who don't see race are the exact set of people who are unaffected by issues of race. The people who deny or try to downplay this type of misogyny are the people who don't live life being harassed, devalued, underpaid, and oppressed. At least, not due to their gender. This whole conversation can be avoided by people, particularly people with public voices, demonstrating a bit more respect and sensitivity to the way life is like for people that do not start their lives on the easiest difficulty setting.

I actually appreciated your well thought out reply the most. You made a lot of really good points I didn't think about. I think I was looking at it from a comedy/free speech perspective (because the band is a comedy band) and not a corporate responsibility perspective. I see the difference now. I don't think I have a misconception about sexism I was just looking at it through a different lense. I see how what a comedian or band might say isn't the same as a major corporation doing the same thing. I'm just a super free speech advocate and I know free speech means protecting speech I don't agree with. I still don't think there was malice behind it just really poor judgement.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:Alien - My apologies if any of my comments felt like an attack on you, i was being sarcastic. I showed this thread to my girlfriend and she yelled at me for arguing for the wrong side. :lol:

I'm gonna call you "Dershowitz" from now on. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:18 pm

jrfox92 wrote:infamous alien irl:

I actually do look a lot like him. I don't share any of his opinions though for the record.
Last edited by infamousalien on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby _themissingshade_ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm

infamousalien wrote:I actually appreciated your well thought out reply the most. You made a lot of really good points I didn't think about. I think I was looking at it from a comedy/free speech perspective (because the band is a comedy band) and not a corporate responsibility perspective. I see the difference now. I don't think I have a misconception about sexism I was just looking at it through a different lense. I see how what a comedian or band might say isn't the same as a major corporation doing the same thing. I'm just a super free speech advocate and I know free speech means protecting speech I don't agree with. I still don't think there was malice behind it just really poor judgement.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that you considered my point of view. :)
_themissingshade_

Postby multi_s » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:30 pm

fantano weighs in

ya i wasn;t sure if alien had caught that either but thought it was pretty obv after this sort of gold

Ugly Nora wrote:Ha Ha Ha and all, Chank, but it is not a far leap for the misogynists to go from saying women should stay in the kitchen, to saying they should be put in the oven.

also alien i think D.o.S was just excited that it looked like England had a chance to win the world cup (football comments) but since then they lost to Croatia and will not advance to the final.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm

He should've titled the video, "Anthony Fantano demonstrates his lack of knowledge regarding effects pedals". :lol: :facepalm:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:45 pm

multi_s wrote:fantano weighs in

ya i wasn;t sure if alien had caught that either but thought it was pretty obv after this sort of gold

Ugly Nora wrote:Ha Ha Ha and all, Chank, but it is not a far leap for the misogynists to go from saying women should stay in the kitchen, to saying they should be put in the oven.

also alien i think D.o.S was just excited that it looked like England had a chance to win the world cup (football comments) but since then they lost to Croatia and will not advance to the final.

That guy summed up what I was trying to say. Honestly after the last few years of American politics I don't think anything sounds like sarcasm anymore. Sad.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm

That's because people aren't using the designated sarcasm font color.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm

All sarcasm should be in comic sans font. Change my mind!
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 pm

jrfox92 wrote:That's because people aren't using the designated sarcasm font color.

WE DON"T HAVE A PLAID TEXT OPTION ON THIS FORUM YET! :mad:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby multi_s » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 pm

jrfox92 wrote:That's because people aren't using the designated sarcasm font color.

+1
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:09 pm

D.o.S. wrote:If you have to explain your parody band is a parody you are not nearly as clever as you think you are.

Ghost Hip wrote:As for the band, I'm not familiar with who the fans are, but generally if the people you are making fun of are enjoying and agreeing with your satire, its probably not good satire. Satire should make those it is criticizing uncomfortable. I just imagine teenage boys listening to this shit and internalizing the message of women being disposable pieces of ass.

I think these are two pretty important points. There's a big difference between good satire and just embracing a total douchebag lifestyle and then defending yourself by asking why no one can take a joke. These dudes are no spinal tap.

I obviously don't know a ton about the band and I don't know the dudes personally, but for reference, I did accidentally end up at an after party for a steel panther show with the band present. Dudes seemed 100% 'bout that life as far as I could tell. It was indistinguishable from being around any countless other douchebag dudes. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but the defense that it's satire just doesn't really hold water. Satire is usually making a point and I have a hard time believing these guys have one.

i'm not offended really. But I think it's fucking stupid. And I don't think it's funny. As for the band, I think they're just idiots, but TC really should have known better and I have no idea what they could have been thinking.

I'm all for free speech, but it's a two way street. Calling someone out for behavior that you find reprehensible isn't censorship.

It's a rare thing on the internet to see a conversation start to get heated and then evolve to a less heated civil discussion. Really nice to see here, and sort of a relief in a way, so good job, everyone. a reverse train wreck of sorts.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 pm

I don't see it as satire. I see it more like LARPing as a hair metal band. I don't even like the band. I just think getting bent out of shape about the little things makes the bigger issues seem less important. If people are constantly outraged when something comes along to really be outraged about people dismiss it easier. That's the last I'll say.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby actual » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Go play some fucking guitar u fuckwits.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion