Controversial Opinions

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Controversial Opinions

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Jwar wrote:Here's my controversial opinions about this shit. and you're all nerds Come at me!

You are posting about starwars and startreck and dune on a forum devoted to guitar accessories... you are also a nerd.

Also, fuck Picasso, he was one soup can away from being Warhol before Warhol was Warhol.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Sonaboy wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Jodorowsky would have ruined Dune

Agreed. It was clear he wasn't interested in adhering to much of any of the original material.

Even less than Lynch :lol:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:51 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:
Dowi wrote:
Dapper Bandit wrote:
The Dune series (when Frank was still writing it, not the son's shitshow) was/is the most ambitious science fiction story ever told.

Agreed but I put it at the same level of Asimov Fundation series. :thumb:

I really rate the first few Foundation books but towards the end I felt it all got a little far fetched. But then I apparantly had no problem with the 1,000 year Worm-Man Space-Reich so it just goes to show how subjective it all is.

:lol:
Yes, i mean, the first three were most surely more focused and cohesive, for the rest i think we have to keep in mind that we are talking of a series of books covering like xxxxx milion years, so i guess some narrative slips are inevitable.

Jwar wrote:Star Wars and Star Trek are both dumb

Yes, and that's why we love them.
No need for deep shit, just give us the sci fi spaceships powpowpowkaboom, random monsters and paranormal forces guiding the universe.
What else could i desire??

Jwar wrote:Lynch is the most overrated director in fucking history. His shit is dumb for the most part. Yes, I like the weird shit too. I liked Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway...yada yada yada. No one ever talks about how none of it makes any motherfucking sense. He's too artistic. It's like if Picasso made a movie. Come at me!

ALSO VERY YES.
I find myself pretty much divided when talking about Lynch, i love it for something and at the same time i hate it for something else.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:56 am

BetterOffShred wrote:
Sonaboy wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Jodorowsky would have ruined Dune

Agreed. It was clear he wasn't interested in adhering to much of any of the original material.

Even less than Lynch :lol:

And that's why it probably would have been awesome. He'd just keep the main points of Dune, burn the rest, and rebuild everything from Zero. Probably that's a good approach when facing such a large and complex imaginary. I'm not saying that's the only one, but i cant' see how it could be possible to make a faithful transposition of the book.

And that's pretty much the reason i'm seriously skeptical about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(TV_series)
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 am

Dowi wrote: :lol:
Yes, i mean, the first three were most surely more focused and cohesive, for the rest i think we have to keep in mind that we are talking of a series of books covering like xxxxx milion years, so i guess some narrative slips are inevitable.

Yeah, it does end up covering a lot of ground. Don't get me wrong, I totally applaud the balls of Aasimov to decide
NSFW: show
"You know what? I'm just going to combine my complete fucking output into not just one universe, but one storyline!"
but I kind of feel that it didn't work out as well as it maybe could have? Or maybe it could never have worked. Or maybe it did work and I'm a philistine and can't appreciate nice things. All of these options are possible!

Dowi wrote:And that's pretty much the reason i'm seriously skeptical about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(TV_series)

Not heard of this before. The executive producers seem to have been involved in stuff that for the most part I don't like, let's hope Robyn Aasimov can pull this project in the right direction as there is scope for this to make an awesome series.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:16 am

Jwar wrote:Here's my controversial opinions about this shit.

Star Wars and Star Trek are both dumb

Yup, for sure. The first three Star Wars films only showed how skilled George Lucas was at translating his influences (usually much better films) into something that captured the imaginations and hearts of nerds all over the world. The other films are mostly not as good and cash in heavily on nostalgia but Star Wars has never been more than seat-filling blockbuster stuff. If anything of true artistic merit has come from that franchise, I'm sure it was by accident.

Star Trek had two good shows and about 5 bad shows and approximately 20 films that range between tolerable and poop.

Jwar wrote:Lynch is the most overrated director in fucking history. His shit is dumb for the most part. Yes, I like the weird shit too. I liked Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway...yada yada yada. No one ever talks about how none of it makes any motherfucking sense. He's too artistic. It's like if Picasso made a movie. Come at me!

I don't agree with "too artistic" but I think that Picasso comparison is possibly the best analogy I have read about Lynch. Makes complete sense and explains why I can't properly fanboy on either of them. What they do/did isn't entirely for me but I can appreciate what they have done and the influence they have had on stuff I do like.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:45 am

I always talk about how it doesn't make any sense.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:I always talk about how it doesn't make any sense.

I thought that's why people like it?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:22 pm

^^That's why I like it.

Also, the lasting impact of the Star Wars phenomenon has and will continue to be 90% merchandising, and 90% of that to six year old boys. The continuation of the film franchise is just to feed that merchandising hutt.

Star Trek just gives me the willies. I am a lifelong scifi geek, which is mostly why I continue to hate them both yet still continue to look. :facepalm: for both the hating and the looking
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Dandolin wrote:^^That's why I like it.

Also, the lasting impact of the Star Wars phenomenon has and will continue to be 90% merchandising, and 90% of that to six year old boys. The continuation of the film franchise is just to feed that merchandising hutt.

Star Trek just gives me the willies. I am a lifelong scifi geek, which is mostly why I continue to hate them both yet still continue to look. :facepalm: for both the hating and the looking

:lol: true.. Which is why space balls is such a great movie :thumb:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:23 pm

Dune, Flash Gordon, Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, and Solarbabies are all more entertaining to me than Star Wars.
Last edited by chuckjaywalk on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Who has the oscillation overthruster?

John Barnett?
John Bigbooté?
John Camp?
John Careful Walker?
John Chief Crier?
John Cooper?
John Coyote?
John Edwards?
John Fat Eating?
John Fish?
John Fledgling?
John Gomez?
John Grim?
John Guardian?
John Icicle Boy?
John Jones?
John Joseph
John Kim Chi?
John Lee?
John Littlejohn?
John Many Jars?
John Milton?
John Mud Head?
John Nephew?
John Nolan?
John O'Connor?
John Omar?
John Parrot?
John Rajeesh?
John Ready to Fly?
John Repeat Dance?
John Roberts?
John Scott?
John Shaw?
John Smallberries?
John Starbird?
John Take Cover?
John Thorny Stick?
John Turk?
John Two Horns?
John Web?
Lord John Whorfin?
John Wood?
John Wright?
John Ya Ya?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Miles Davis' 70s electric music is boring, formless to an absolute fault, and preposterously overrated. 80% of Bitches Brew consists of electric piano noodling aimlessly over a static funk beat. phone me up when something happens other than 1 minute 30 of Miles blowing.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

dubkitty wrote:Miles Davis' 70s electric music is boring, formless to an absolute fault, and preposterously overrated. 80% of Bitches Brew consists of electric piano noodling aimlessly over a static funk beat. phone me up when something happens other than 1 minute 30 of Miles blowing.

Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:47 pm

dubkitty wrote:Miles Davis' 70s electric music is boring, formless to an absolute fault, and preposterously overrated. 80% of Bitches Brew consists of electric piano noodling aimlessly over a static funk beat. phone me up when something happens other than 1 minute 30 of Miles blowing.

:erm: But Bitches Brew was recorded in 1969. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion