Grapple (Pro Wrestling appreciation thread)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about Pro Wrestling?

Postby Achtane » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 am

I had one of those WWF CDs and when my friends and I were wrestling, we'd each have a theme song and change the room decor accordingly.
I was Kane, so I'd enter the room that was only lit by a red lightbulb, my song blasting from a little boombox.

It was awesome.

WCW/NWO Revenge on N64 was my jam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby calfzilla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 am

I'm a big WCW fan. Always liked it more than WWF for some reason.

Sting is one of my tops. Stevie Ray and Booker T were always fun to watch. Jeff Jarrett before he went heel.

And Meng. Meng may be the only wrestler who has a better mythos outside of the ring in real life.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 am

calfzilla wrote:I'm a big WCW fan. Always liked it more than WWF for some reason.

Sting is one of my tops. Stevie Ray and Booker T were always fun to watch. Jeff Jarrett before he went heel.

And Meng. Meng may be the only wrestler who has a better mythos outside of the ring in real life.

Meng's son/nephew are some of my favorite wrestlers, going by the name Tanga Loa and Tama Tonga.

Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby calfzilla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:38 am

Inconuucl wrote:
calfzilla wrote:I'm a big WCW fan. Always liked it more than WWF for some reason.

Meng's son/nephew are some of my favorite wrestlers, going by the name Tanga Loa and Tama Tonga.

I wonder if they are half as bad ass as Meng (dude was apparently the nastiest bar brawler)
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby aedes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I grew up in the DC area, so we'd watch Sgt. Slaughter, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, Roddy Piper and Andre the Giant when they'd come around. My friends and I pooled our money for the Wrestlemanias (1-3 I think). It was awesome.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rustywire » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:10 pm

I've been meaning to watch that HBO doc on Andre. Will do after NBA playoffs or one of the off days in the conf finals.
He was a scene stealer in The Princess Bride...and everywhere else. Another troubled guy, def gonna be good.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aedes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:02 pm

rustywire wrote:I've been meaning to watch that HBO doc on Andre. Will do after NBA playoffs or one of the off days in the conf finals.
He was a scene stealer in The Princess Bride...and everywhere else. Another troubled guy, def gonna be good.

It's really good.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Just in case ya'll wanted to be Sports Entertained. This is probably the best WWE segment in decades. :lol:

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Think I've found my new wrestlin' persona (might only be good for aquatic matches?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoL8_bQ77gY

:idk: :rock:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby codetocontra » Thu May 03, 2018 9:31 pm

Inconuucl wrote:Sure! There's a lot of Kenny Omega that's great if you want some really explosive wrestling. If you want something related to the video I posted check the match that happened right after. For context the match I posted he defeated his (at the time) greatest rival Okada after two (60 minute!!!) tries that were hailed by many as the two greatest matches in wrestling history. However, this was during the G1 Tournament, so the kayfabe injuries he sustained in that match play a big role and are ultimately the major focus in the match above versus Naito.

I have enjoyed the Kenny Omega matches quite a bit, thanks. Funny how these are breaking the 5 star rating system.

Inconuucl wrote:There's also a surprised hardcore match versus Chris Jericho that was simply brutal.

Can only find highlights, but it seemed pretty great.

Inconuucl wrote: Andrade Cien Almas Vs. Aleister Black

Inconuucl wrote:There's also Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano is you want some major hardcore ECW vibes.

Not bad at all for up and coming talent. Heard NXT is pretty good from somewhere else. Saw Ricochet is in it now, he was pretty awesome as Prince Puma in Lucha Underground. Does this mean they will all slow down to work the WWE style?
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Grapple (Pro Wrestling appreciation thread)

Postby codetocontra » Thu May 03, 2018 9:40 pm

These videos blows a lot of spots from Lucha Underground. They had some good storylines too, with a lot of mystical elements and actual heart, with a little humor. Lots of talent, blood, and big dives. Women are treated as equals in the ring against men, not just eye candy. There are a few specific matches I would like to share sometime, but these spotfests were cool.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Inconuucl » Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 pm

codetocontra wrote:Not bad at all for up and coming talent. Heard NXT is pretty good from somewhere else. Saw Ricochet is in it now, he was pretty awesome as Prince Puma in Lucha Underground. Does this mean they will all slow down to work the WWE style?

There's not a lot of new talent in NXT anymore, actually. :idk: They are all indie veterans with some exceptions. But yeah, that's essentially what they are teaching them in NXT, how to work with the WWE camera set ups, do promos in their style, and work at the pace that is required in WWE. But yeah, the case seems to be that they all slow down to WWE levels. HOWEVER, that's not a stylistic choice but a necessity. WWE wrestlers work 3-4 nights a week, which puts an incredible strain on their bodies as is. Compare this to New Japan's doing one event every two weeks (with the exception of their tournaments and such).

If you like Ricochet you can check his match with Will Ospreay, which was highly controversial for some spots being way too choreographed and "flippy" ...which is funny because that's exactly why I loved it, because it was ridiculous.

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm

But I like flippy spots better than good ole slobberknockers! Yeah, I meant "new" as new to the WWE empire and "up and coming" because of the farm team nature of NXT vs the big show rosters. Apologies for my half thoughts.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Inconuucl » Wed May 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby infamousalien » Thu May 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Ring of Honor any good? They did a show around here recently and I almost went. I know, cool story.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion