Is ILF too cliquey? Are we pushing people away? BST question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Is ILF too cliquey? Are we pushing people away? BST ques

Postby wafl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Pete Eussy, new boutique builder here.

The phrase heterophobic seems very 3edgy5me/Prime Devi though. :lol:

I was 100% sarcastic, heterophobia isn't real but someone brought it up and I can't help myself. Im a sarcastic bitch.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

rustywire wrote:u r moms gay succ urethra submit

S U C C
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 pm

[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:13 am

No u.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm

wafl wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:Pete Eussy, new boutique builder here.

The phrase heterophobic seems very 3edgy5me/Prime Devi though. :lol:

I was 100% sarcastic, heterophobia isn't real but someone brought it up and I can't help myself. Im a sarcastic bitch.

You know who else is a sarcastic bitch?

füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby omarwhite » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 am

I don't know if "cliquey" is how i'd describe it, but yeah, I don't by any means feel welcome. nobody has been directly rude to me or anything, it's just like being the guy who shows up at the party and walks up to a conversation circle, laughs at a joke someone says, and everyone just rolls their eyes, ignores me and walks away... I'm cool with that tho.

that being said, I've never been able to make a sale on here. i'm not saying I initially posted the greatest and rarest of gems, but it was always adequate level shit. the shunning or, as you say, "cliquiness" of the site tho, assumedly to my low post count, has kept me from recently listing things on here that I would've rather traded or sold to one of you guys/gals rather than Reverb or Ebay. i'm still new to a lot of the boutique brands and rare makers, but like most of you, I suffer from GAS and I like the rush of irresponsibly making a irrational and impulsive purchase, only to find less enjoyment in the item than I hoped, but resting assured that someone else will know how to tweak and twiddle the knobs better than my newbie fingers.

things I've recently passed on listing on here for example: Dude Incredible, Megalith, Romferd.

it's not worth sitting here wondering "why is nobody even reaching out to me with an offer?" about certain things. Metal Zones get comments, albeit of humorous jest, but comments nonetheless. dialogue is nice. being ignored isn't.
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby rustywire » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Can relate to the BST "I cant believe nobody is interested in my exceptional wares!" sentiment. It happens. People are picky, funds are limited here. This is not the ULTRA RARE COLLECTORS QUALITY gear site. This is the "if a builder is hosted here their stuff will probably generate immediate attention" place for gear deals, DIY, etches and rehouses, weird geared locale. Site darlings from any era, gone quick esp if it's rare. Glitch pedals and gnarly filters will get all kinds of offers thrown your way, transparent od and vanilla clones not so much. Some entire brands are effectively persona non grata.

If you post great deals they will sell sooner or later, but currently times are lean. Sometimes when you're ready to sell the market is soft on what you've got. Used markets are fickle, guitar and bass gear buffs especially so. I'm guilty of having bigger eyes than wallet but sometimes timing happens and everything aligns to score *your* goodies. It's really a crapshoot, not to be taken personally. If there is demand for what you're offering, it will generate interest and sell. Even if you're new or newish :hobbes:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 pm

The only things that really sell here quickly are newer things that're hotly in demand and everybody wants or something that someone's been looking for. :idk: It's a fairly limited market here. :idk: If I'm looking for something to sell quickly, usually here's not the place. :idk:

(people don't laugh at my "jokes" either. Never stopped me from makin' 'em. :whateva: )
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Chankgeez wrote:The only things that really sell here quickly are newer things that're hotly in demand and everybody wants or something that someone's been looking for. :idk: It's a fairly limited market here. :idk: If I'm looking for something to sell quickly, usually here's not the place. :idk:

(people don't laugh at my "jokes" either. Never stopped me from makin' 'em. :whateva: )

I laugh!

I don't think the poor sellers market is limited by post count, I generally can move things in about an hour on ebay for higher prices than I sell for on here.

It's just not a good place to sell gear anymore.

To answer the original question: I go from participant to Lurker depending on my workload and I can't always keep up with stuff, I can't imagine a new person keeps track very well. Plus some threads are just impossible to read because of some people who I think aren't really contributing but are just boosting post counts and such.

Still may favorite place to do internets tho
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:24 pm

...idk, I just sold 4 pedals.. 2 here and 2 on reverb.. for three new fuzz pedals and some weekend cash... the bst here is fun, fuck fee's and "have you shipped it yet" emails...and just flat out fuck ebay. I like instant payments. just nobody uses the good reference thread for me.. JWAR! sold to that fuck a couple times and never a word on how amazing I am. Im leavin yall for the dam forum Image
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm

I don't use the good reference thread because I forgot it existed. Sorry people I haven't referenced.

I'll echo the comments other people have made, selling here is way harder than it used to be no matter who you are, unless you have a narrow range of stuff and/or great prices.

On the other thing Omar, yeah that's how I felt when I joined and for years. It sometimes put me off the place! People still ignore my posts all the time and that's cool. I just think there's not much of a culture of replying to everything, if I see something I'm not interested in I don't engage. Or maybe I'm just outside the clique too :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby worra » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:21 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:I don't use the good reference thread because I forgot it existed. Sorry people I haven't referenced.

I'll echo the comments other people have made, selling here is way harder than it used to be no matter who you are, unless you have a narrow range of stuff and/or great prices.

On the other thing Omar, yeah that's how I felt when I joined and for years. It sometimes put me off the place! People still ignore my posts all the time and that's cool. I just think there's not much of a culture of replying to everything, if I see something I'm not interested in I don't engage. Or maybe I'm just outside the clique too :lol:

You know who else is outside the clique?

In all seriousness though - rustywire is spot on. Times are lean, and stuff is tough to sell whether you're new or not. I wouldn't take it as a slight if your BST threads don't get any action.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby omarwhite » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:51 pm

yeah, I don't take it personally per se... I came here to learn and discover new builders and ideas that were foreign to me. I've enjoyed it by all means. not looking to be a part of the inside jokes and buddy buddy crowd, just looking to coexist and take what I can, in hopes that at some point I can give a little back to the next person in my shoes.
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

omarwhite wrote:I don't know if "cliquey" is how i'd describe it, but yeah, I don't by any means feel welcome. nobody has been directly rude to me or anything, it's just like being the guy who shows up at the party and walks up to a conversation circle, laughs at a joke someone says, and everyone just rolls their eyes, ignores me and walks away... I'm cool with that tho.

that being said, I've never been able to make a sale on here. i'm not saying I initially posted the greatest and rarest of gems, but it was always adequate level shit. the shunning or, as you say, "cliquiness" of the site tho, assumedly to my low post count, has kept me from recently listing things on here that I would've rather traded or sold to one of you guys/gals rather than Reverb or Ebay. i'm still new to a lot of the boutique brands and rare makers, but like most of you, I suffer from GAS and I like the rush of irresponsibly making a irrational and impulsive purchase, only to find less enjoyment in the item than I hoped, but resting assured that someone else will know how to tweak and twiddle the knobs better than my newbie fingers.

things I've recently passed on listing on here for example: Dude Incredible, Megalith, Romferd.

it's not worth sitting here wondering "why is nobody even reaching out to me with an offer?" about certain things. Metal Zones get comments, albeit of humorous jest, but comments nonetheless. dialogue is nice. being ignored isn't.

I read a lot of threads, and will read every post in threads I participate in, except some of the mega threads I don't go back to page 1. It is funny though, because I recognized your name and had to switch from mobile to see your post count. If you participate people will read it. Not every post really deserves a response though. If you are stating your opinions or sharing story, pretty easy to read and nod along with you without stating as such. Sometimes it would be nice to have a "like" sort of feature for posts, but that could be weird too. Engage the community, share your info, ask questions, etc. Assimilate. Interesting to see you aren't the only one that feels ignored. I assure you there is no secret club trying to ignore newcomers. Well, if there is no one showed me the secret handshake yet.

BST is rough. Some stuff I sell goes quick and then rest will sit for months. Just hit and miss. But it is free to list things, so why not? Those pedals you listed are pretty cool. Depending on the day I may have been interested in 1 or 2. You just never know.

ILF maintains a pretty good balance to being open and having an identity as a community, especially when compared to some dull communities like TGP or some very tight-knit forums like the PRF/EA forum.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:13 am

I still ask: who's the clique, anyway?

I haven't really seen any definitive answer beyond, "the people that post a shit ton and thus talk to each other a lot because they post a shit ton".
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion