What's your best "didn't get scammed" story?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What's your best "didn't get scammed" story?

Postby Invisible Man » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:05 am

Me, too.

But I offered him his money back and he went silent for three+ weeks. CL return policy is not that long.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 am

I have bought guitar gear off Craigslist from places where it's not testable.. I bring my 100$ Jackson and my danelectro honeytone and some cables. The story on the piece of gear changes once you whip that shit out.

Speaking of 100$ Jacksons.. I went to buy a beginner set up for my boy and there was a nice one with a decent strat copy and an Orange combo for like 2 bills, so I says why not. I go to this dudes house.. It's in the garage so we go to check it out and he's like "there's no power out here " I say, well there's an outlet on the side and there's an extension cord. So we plug it all in and I turn it on.. the amp immediately starts smoking. Yeah I bounced.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:22 pm

I bought a 1974 Marshall JMP off craigslist from another part of the country for 600 shipped to me and the guy didn't scam me and it was the best sounding amp I've ever had. Thats about the most potential for sketichiness I've had. I think someone in the past used the empty space in the head to store massive amounts of weed because it would make my entire room smell like weed when it got warm, it also had a PPIMV put in it in some kind of complete hack job but it made it sound incredible.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hbombgraphics » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:this was maybe 10 years ago...at the time i was getting pretty desperate to find a job. applied for some on CL (prolly my first mistake).
go to job interview. some shitty job i don't even know. account something.
walking up the stairs in some weird building. something didn't feel right or i was like WTF am i doing?! this job is wack.
i stop to maybe turn around, this girl comes in behind me. starts chatting me.
i'm like distracted/disarmed so i walk up w/ her. she interviews, then i do.
guy asks me a bunch of weird paradigm business questions, like nothing about me or the actual job.
i'm so glad to just have an interview i barely noticed.

i go home, power on my MPC and start making beats. must have been all into it. they call and i didn't notice.
they leave a message. when i check my phone and see. they want me to come in for a second interview!
i'm super excited, like i said, shit was getting grim and i was getting no love out there, i just needed something.
i go to call back. again. something pulled me. thought maybe i should google this before i call back.
tons and tons of things pop up of this dude and a lady scamming ppl on some shitty long hours and stiffing on the pay. blah blah blah.
different states, different names, different companies. i'm like whoa! and then i went back to making beats. fuck that noise.

I had a similar situation looking for a job a while back, it was basically a chop shop for crappy Knives, one of those "these sell themselves" things where you do a group interview and then go cut through carpet. They want you to accept the job on the spot which seemed crazy to me. I have since had 3-4 friends last about a week working for that crew before they realize that the only reason this company hires so many people is to expand it's contact lists.
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Remember that time Elbandito sold a broken Frost Wave pedal to Andrew (Industrialectric) then disappeared? Wait...that was a scam. :(
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 pm

repoman wrote:I bought a 1974 Marshall JMP off craigslist from another part of the country for 600 shipped to me and the guy didn't scam me and it was the best sounding amp I've ever had. Thats about the most potential for sketichiness I've had. I think someone in the past used the empty space in the head to store massive amounts of weed because it would make my entire room smell like weed when it got warm, it also had a PPIMV put in it in some kind of complete hack job but it made it sound incredible.

:joy:
Any idea what variety of PPIMV? I got a 1 meg with switch and I was thinking of trying it out on my Bassman.. I heard you either love it or hate it..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Remember that time Elbandito sold a broken Frost Wave pedal to Andrew (Industrialectric) then disappeared? Wait...that was a scam. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MRbZvzFsw
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Not a story...nothing really happened but...I think I'm at the point where if it's not an ILF Builder or Fuzz Friend or major retailer...HARD PASS.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion