The Equifax hack

Moderator: Ghost Hip

The Equifax hack

Postby Faldoe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Anyone know if they were effected by this and did you enroll in the equifax security 2017 enrollment thing? - checks to see if you were effected. I'm concerned to participate and trying to figure out the best way to see if I was effected by the hack.
Faldoe

Re: The Equifax hack

Postby ck3 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Equifax still doesn't seem to have their proverbial shit together regarding accurate determination of who was impacted. Regardless of the cause, a breach of this magnitude should meet criteria for criminal negligence. One free year of their credit monitoring service is by no means adequate reparation for the headaches hundreds of millions of Americans will face in the coming years. In order to protect my right to participate in future litigation, I opted for an identity theft monitoring service that is not affiliated with Equifax.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 am

I tried to check my status on Equifax's site, I got a recurring "captcha" error and gave up. I'll probably call them.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aedes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 am

We're probably going to do a credit freeze with all three bureaus. NC has a law that lets you do it for free.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

My wife works in the industry.

Here's the deal... The hackers have your information and they may not use it for 5 years. The odds of them using it are very low 1/100000 ish. Credit freezes make your life very inconvenient, my personal opinion.

Freezing your credit for a year and unfreezing it literally does nothing.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aedes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:01 am

Ah. The freeze does sound like a pain for sure. Does she have any suggestions?
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JonnyAngle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:42 am

aedes wrote:Ah. The freeze does sound like a pain for sure. Does she have any suggestions?

Basically just deal with it.

It's the only free option, and most likely nothing will happen anyway.
If your shit gets stolen, you will just have to work it out with the credit bureaus. They're all aware of this so it's not like it's that difficult if you go from an 800 to 420 in 6 months.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aedes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 pm

If the odds are that low, then I guess that makes sense. But it sure feels super unsatisfying.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ugly Nora » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm

This was a false flag attack orchestrated by the major credit bureaus and identity theft monitoring services to sell more protection services.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am

Ugly Nora wrote:This was a false flag attack orchestrated by the major credit bureaus and identity theft monitoring services to sell more protection services.

I'd believe this in a heartbeat.

If my credit is affected, I will sue the credit bureaus that are affecting it. I am in a job where my credit score is my lifeline right now. So those dumb mother fuckers better learn to protect their shit. I heard there's already a class action suit under way. I'm going to jump on that shit.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby ck3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Anyone riding the class action wave might want to verify said litigation is legit, as scammers are likely to make attempts to capitalize on the current chaos.

I also agree with the false flag hypothesis, but am still infuriated with Equifax.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Dat password :facepalm:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 am

Related, if you want to monitor online accounts for hacking you can use https://haveibeenpwned.com/
All our information is out there. Much easier to access than it is to protect. Like everything. It will only be a bigger problem going forward.
Funny that this breach was from July 29th but only reported now.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Discussion