Stuff to do in the car.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Stuff to do in the car.

Postby casecandy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Invisible Man wrote:
oldangelmidnight wrote:Canadian Prairie Home Companion

Sweet Jesus. Keep the change on that one.

This is the most frequently-made, most facile, and least accurate comparison there is. Americans don't have a point of reference for it beyond Garrison Keillor. They're like, "So... this guy reads stories... on the radio... got it, he's the Canadian Garrison Keillor." It's nothing like Prairie Home Companion (nothing against that fine program); it's got a Canadian sort of edge to it, a slightly more bitter humour than that. More like David Sedaris than APHC/GK. It's a really hilarious show that's been on since the 1990s and honestly, almost every story is perfect. I have cried in a dozen of them. Also, their are sweet performances by indie musicians such as Owen Pallett of Final Fantasy/Arcade Fire/Titus Andronicus, or just nice unknowns or whatever, and phenomenal discourses on the totally amazing lives of Canadian cities. No one knows Canada better than Stuart... I'm afraid that when he dies, he'll leave no heir. He has cancer. I hear he's getting better.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:20 pm

Ok, CC. Sorry if it seems I've come after your sacred moose or whatever the fuck passes for deities up in your hinterland.

I just have no patience left for Garrison Keillor. Twee to the point of nausea. But, then again...so are Canadians. :poke:

I kid. I'll check it out.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby casecandy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:26 am

It is remarkably twee. Wes Anderson, Belle & Sebastien twee. It's about a guy who runs a record shop called The Vinyl Café. Tagline: "We may not be big, but we're small."

I have that tattooed on my wrist next to a bumblebee.

A N Y W A Y

Our Native deities are more demigods than anything, Glooscap, Whiskeyjack, and then there are the monsters, the windigo, etc. But I think Wotan, et al., are definitely still here from when the Vikings were... I feel 'em all out there in the black spruce...
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:29 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Also Dark Barn's podcast.

Awwww! Thanks! I've gotten precious little unsolicited feedback so far, so this made my day! :hug:
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 pm

:hug:

No worries dude -- that's the thing about fringe music: unless you've got someone dick riding you you're going to spend an awful lot of time shouting into the void.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:49 pm

D.o.S. wrote::hug:

No worries dude -- that's the thing about fringe music: unless you've got someone dick riding you you're going to spend an awful lot of time shouting into the void.

That's exactly why we decided to frame it as a podcast instead of the other options, thinking it might be the ticket to finding an audience, but yeah, it's a long road ahead from the looks of it. So thanks for adding a quick shout into the void on our behalf :)
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Aquietcabin1978 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Anytime someone mentions the vinyl cafe all I can think of is the sourdough starter story.

Not too up on new podcasts but the wife and I dig the moth, WTF, and nerdette is okay. She is a big Ira Glass fanboi so we listen to this American life on Fridays.
jwar wrote:I'd tell both you guys to eat a dick, but it's against the vibe of the thread. Dicks are meat right? ;) haha

Invisible Man wrote:All roads lead to butt stuff.
Aquietcabin1978

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Anyone listen to Tone Mob? Brian from ss/bs was on, and the guy behind Hologram Electronics. Not particularly good interviews, but some cool guests.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Invisible Man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 am

Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 am

just sing this song over and over and time will fold.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion