General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: Where do we stand on Billy Corgan? //hivemind

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm

zaklinaczcipek wrote:their heads are brighter than my future

:rofl:

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Gotta say...I enjoyed that. All things considered he is well spoken. Good for William.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:29 am

this pre-Gish song is hilarious

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHucJfosf-s&list=PLF4E3FE80F56C39F4&index=3[/youtube]

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 pm

jirodreamsofdank wrote:this pre-Gish song is hilarious

It's funny how far away they moved from that Cure influence.

On a general note for posting YT vids, if it says "list" in the UL, then delete everything from "&list" onwards.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:22 pm

I like that song better than 90% of their new shit. :) lol

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Jwar wrote:I like that song better than 90% of their new shit. :) lol

SAME HERE. :idk:

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Still here. Still don't hate billy or dislike the new stuff. Can accept hes out of touch on a lot of stuff and kinda crabby. Hes an emotional dude who makes good music. Its whatever.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 am

There is good reason I changed my username from pumpkinpieces. He has publicly used transgender slurs, associates with Alex Jones, and I genuinely wouldn't ever want to talk to him in real life. When I listen to the smashing pumpkins privately some songs have lost their charm as they seem to be early reflections of his shitty behavior, i.e. X.Y.U. He has been a jerk to his bandmates, and I could care less about recording all of their parts, I am talking on an interpersonal level. The way he treated D'arcy recently makes me sick. While he certainly shares valid insights on music, the industry in its past and present, and very recently the responsibilities of being a celebrity/rock star, anything else he spews on about is so worthless. It doesn't help that the media broadcasts every minor thing he says and hypes him up as "that crazy rock artist from the 90's is at it AGAIN, billy c says purple guitars sound best!!!"

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get rid of the feelings of comfort of listening to my favorite band of my adolescence/early twenties, but the sheen has worn off and I hold no qualms with anyone who wants to disassociate with this dude and his music.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:35 am

I leave this here:
https://m.thomann.de/de/reverend_billy_ ... 1551936364

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:There is good reason I changed my username from pumpkinpieces. He has publicly used transgender slurs, associates with Alex Jones, and I genuinely wouldn't ever want to talk to him in real life. When I listen to the smashing pumpkins privately some songs have lost their charm as they seem to be early reflections of his shitty behavior, i.e. X.Y.U. He has been a jerk to his bandmates, and I could care less about recording all of their parts, I am talking on an interpersonal level. The way he treated D'arcy recently makes me sick. While he certainly shares valid insights on music, the industry in its past and present, and very recently the responsibilities of being a celebrity/rock star, anything else he spews on about is so worthless. It doesn't help that the media broadcasts every minor thing he says and hypes him up as "that crazy rock artist from the 90's is at it AGAIN, billy c says purple guitars sound best!!!"

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get rid of the feelings of comfort of listening to my favorite band of my adolescence/early twenties, but the sheen has worn off and I hold no qualms with anyone who wants to disassociate with this dude and his music.

Well said man.
Fuck now I feel kinda like shit.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:34 pm

BitchPudding wrote:
Ghost Hip wrote:There is good reason I changed my username from pumpkinpieces. He has publicly used transgender slurs, associates with Alex Jones, and I genuinely wouldn't ever want to talk to him in real life. When I listen to the smashing pumpkins privately some songs have lost their charm as they seem to be early reflections of his shitty behavior, i.e. X.Y.U. He has been a jerk to his bandmates, and I could care less about recording all of their parts, I am talking on an interpersonal level. The way he treated D'arcy recently makes me sick. While he certainly shares valid insights on music, the industry in its past and present, and very recently the responsibilities of being a celebrity/rock star, anything else he spews on about is so worthless. It doesn't help that the media broadcasts every minor thing he says and hypes him up as "that crazy rock artist from the 90's is at it AGAIN, billy c says purple guitars sound best!!!"

Well said man.
Fuck now I feel kinda like shit.

Nah man. You can dig what you dig.

I look at it like this. I don't want to know all this shit about musicians. I know some of them are shitty people but there's a lot of those out there. I can still appreciate the music regardless. Consider this. Billy wasn't the ONLY member of SP. So, why ditch the whole band? I don't listen to his solo shit (mostly because it fucking sucks) or his new stuff for the same reason. The older stuff IMO is timeless though.

Him being on Alex Jones and his political views are something I don't want to be involved in. I just don't.

Be you homie. Be true to what you dig.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:49 pm

My feeling is that musicians who aren't shitheads are the minority and it's best to avoid learning anything about them if you don't want to be disillusioned. I find it difficult to separate the art and the artist, but not everyone has that problem.
Last edited by friendship on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Jwar wrote: Consider this. Billy wasn't the ONLY member of SP. So, why ditch the whole band?

That's like saying Trent isn't the only member of NIN. Or Annie Clark isn't the only member of St Vincent. To be fair. :lol: Smashing Pumpkins is among a type of bands where there is one person doing the majority of the writing and making decisions. No one can kick Billy out of Smashing Pumpkins except Billy himself. Regardless, I don't think that really applies as I'm not asking anyone to drop a band that they have held dear for 10-20+ years. That's up to you. If I am listening to a song and someone says "hey I'm not comfortable listening to this, this dude is homophobic, racist, whatever." You bet your ass I'm changing the track, I don't give a fuck if it's Soma (idk is that an agreed upon great pumpkins song? seems like one), I want other people to have a good time and not be stressed out. Music to me is about connecting with other people, forming community, and overcoming tough situations. Billy's amount of disrespect for other humans greatly undermines that so yeah it makes it tough for a lot of people to deal with... because no matter how great jimmy, D'arcy, or James are as musicians, I think the majority of people who made that band famous were listening to Billy's voice and lyrics over top the music that sonically represented and supported those words and emotions.

Anyways. I may listen to Aeroplane Flies High in my car on my way to work, but I don't want to give another dime or token of gratitude/praise to a lame duck like Dilly Borgan.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:32 pm

I feel you and I agree. I tend to think along the same lines with my personal taste in music as Friendship but I'm not running out and buying any new Pumpkins stuff regardless.

I like when music brings us together as well.

I just wonder, was Billy always like this or did he get broken at some point? I don't recall him always being so out there and bigoted, but maybe I just have a bad memory. Something must have happened to make him think like that. It's not acceptable however regardless and he is a dick head. It just makes me scratch my head.
Post a reply