The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 am

I finally decided to crack open that physical PS4 copy of Resident Evil 6 that I bought ... for some reason and it sure is a game from 2012. I gotta give Capcom credit for still caring enough to put it on PS4/X1 and Switch even though no one really cares about it or wanted a port of it. Revelations should've totally could been RE6 if it was more polished. But I still kinda like janky Japanese 3rd person shooters.

Flew through Leon's campaign, which is concerning because people said his was the least bad Chapter. Going through Chris' now.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:It's up - FT7-K2S-3GG

Hope it's good!

That was a fun level. Lots of variance on going up and side to side. I always appreciated that weird feeling when you miss a platform jump and land on a lower area you've already cleared. Sometimes you get a chance to do it over and sometimes you end up on a spike. Or worse when you miss the next level and fall even further. Kind of old school level design. I lost many lives clearing thos course. Good job.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:45 pm

codetocontra wrote:I always appreciated that weird feeling when you miss a platform jump and land on a lower area you've already cleared. Sometimes you get a chance to do it over and sometimes you end up on a spike. Or worse when you miss the next level and fall even further. Kind of old school level design. I lost many lives clearing thos course. Good job.

Man, you really get what i was doing, using the most of the vertical space and Mario’s jump distance, and i am so grateful. Thanks so much for playing.

There were earlier versions with much less forgiving platforming and no enemies, then too many enemies, and gradually i pared it back and hopefully, it's nicely balanced between tricky jumps and a few baddies to mix it up.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 am

https://www.freegameplanet.com/pac-man-download-game/

Creepy broken version of Pac-Man - you can only see the ghosts and dots when Pac can see them on a pseudo-CRT.

I don't have much video game nostalgia but this takes me back to playing Pac-Man at the laundromat every week.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:Man, you really get what i was doing, using the most of the vertical space and Mario’s jump distance, and i am so grateful. Thanks so much for playing.

There were earlier versions with much less forgiving platforming and no enemies, then too many enemies, and gradually i pared it back and hopefully, it's nicely balanced between tricky jumps and a few baddies to mix it up.

Actually, I played your level twice through. Tried to break it with the tanooki leaf (I didn't succeed but found a spike and plummeted to a lower area) and found some secret areas too. Quite sneaky. You can really tell quality courses that have some thought put into them, like yours. Hard to hit that balance between too easy and completely unfair. Watching other people try out your course helps a ton to see their experience and what isn't clear or too obtuse. Hope to have my third level up later this week.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 am

I will give it a go when it's live!

I've been playing Sekiro more than anything else lately and last night, I beat the Ashina Castle boss. Oh man, what a fight. I've spent days just on this fight and finally beat it quite elegantly (I didn't have to use resurrection or all the heals!). Problem is, I've forgotten how to fight some of the normal goons now haha.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am

codetocontra wrote:Actually, I played your level twice through. Tried to break it with the tanooki leaf (I didn't succeed but found a spike and plummeted to a lower area) and found some secret areas too. Quite sneaky.

I built a level that took up so much space that I had to put some secret areas with coins and space to chill out. I also wanted to reward poking around (why yes, I do love Metroid!) so there are a lot of powerups in there for those that explore.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby TraceItalian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:I will give it a go when it's live!

I've been playing Sekiro more than anything else lately and last night, I beat the Ashina Castle boss. Oh man, what a fight. I've spent days just on this fight and finally beat it quite elegantly (I didn't have to use resurrection or all the heals!). Problem is, I've forgotten how to fight some of the normal goons now haha.

I love soulsborne games, and I love how after a while, you don't feel it's easy, but you feel accomplished at learning and coordinating, and you never really rage because if you died, you know how you fucked up. Vs. Binging of Isaac where I've died 300 times and only beat mom three times, and my rage only builds.
TraceItalian

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:26 pm

TraceItalian wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:I will give it a go when it's live!

I love soulsborne games, and I love how after a while, you don't feel it's easy, but you feel accomplished at learning and coordinating, and you never really rage because if you died, you know how you fucked up. Vs. Binging of Isaac where I've died 300 times and only beat mom three times, and my rage only builds.

I got to a point where I will restart Binding of Isaac if I don't get good items on the first level. It's not worth it struggling through however many levels without a good start.

Also want to say, the Binding of Isaac card game is awesome
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:08 pm

I think, in the tough games genre, there are the fair games - like celeste, sekiro - where a theoretical genius player could beat it first time without any prior knowledge, and cruel games - like cuphead, meatboy - which don't care how good or bad you are. “Fuck you, try again”. I reckon a tough but fair game is much harder to make than one full of troll-y bullshit.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:43 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:I think, in the tough games genre, there are the fair games - like celeste, sekiro - where a theoretical genius player could beat it first time without any prior knowledge, and cruel games - like cuphead, meatboy - which don't care how good or bad you are. “Fuck you, try again”. I reckon a tough but fair game is much harder to make than one full of troll-y bullshit.

I hate the second type of game so much.
I especially dislike games where the main mechanic of increasing difficulty is just making enemies unkillable 90% of the time.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:39 am

Speaking of troll-y bullshit...
DN5-W4D-61G
This is a real nightmare. Sorry. I am going to make nice, fun levels from now on.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby TraceItalian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I get that BoI is randomized and all, but I remember one playthrough where I just beat mom's heart out of spite cause the game was only givong me shit tier items. I still think my favorite was piercing shells/shears/ghost shells/telepathy shells/common cold shells/shit hat. I was just a monster.
TraceItalian

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:41 pm

TraceItalian wrote:I get that BoI is randomized and all, but I remember one playthrough where I just beat mom's heart out of spite cause the game was only givong me shit tier items. I still think my favorite was piercing shells/shears/ghost shells/telepathy shells/common cold shells/shit hat. I was just a monster.

My favourite by far was the Ludovico Technique/Brimestone/Spoon Bender
I'm not sure how this guy got multiple rings, but it was essentially this:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:01 am

Found out about this game kinda randomly. I've always wondered why more games don't use art styles like modern CGI animation rather than constantly try to look as realistic as possible.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion