The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby codetocontra » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:16 am

HS4-V7T-GPG
Should be able to look at all our courses if you type it in an look at our profile. This one was made by my daughter and would make her day if it gets played and liked. Thanks!
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:48 pm

codetocontra wrote:HS4-V7T-GPG
Should be able to look at all our courses if you type it in an look at our profile. This one was made by my daughter and would make her day if it gets played and liked. Thanks!

This is a pretty decent level. How old is your daughter? You get some levels that are obviously made by an unsupervised 4-5 yr old and they're really dumb, but this level is way more focused and thought-through than those ones. Your other levels are hard, tho!

I'm gonna get my brothers to play my level next weekend and tweak it before uploading.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:
codetocontra wrote:HS4-V7T-GPG

This is a pretty decent level. How old is your daughter? You get some levels that are obviously made by an unsupervised 4-5 yr old and they're really dumb, but this level is way more focused and thought-through than those ones. Your other levels are hard, tho!

I'm gonna get my brothers to play my level next weekend and tweak it before uploading.

Thanks for playing them all! She just turned 11. She is getting pretty good at this game, and we make her clear her own courses before we play them. We streamed some endless expert levels on YouTube and she is getting a lot of inspiration for creating more. That one was all her though, not even a hint of suggestion from me. The other two courses were mine. I know they aren't easy. So much fun to play and create. Many amazingly creative levels out there. Of course some garbage stuff too. Please share your course when it is done.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 am

I played Journey (HD) for the first time last week. I was blown away. What a gorgeous game. The music was incredible. I can't believe I never checked it out before. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 am

codetocontra wrote:Thanks for playing them all! She just turned 11. She is getting pretty good at this game, and we make her clear her own courses before we play them. We streamed some endless expert levels on YouTube and she is getting a lot of inspiration for creating more. That one was all her though, not even a hint of suggestion from me. The other two courses were mine. I know they aren't easy. So much fun to play and create. Many amazingly creative levels out there. Of course some garbage stuff too. Please share your course when it is done.

She's done very well with that level. I have a 10 yr old sister and I think she would make a level that looked nice but she doesn't yet have a head for puzzles or platforming. She's more into Minecraft than Mario.

I got my girlfriend to play my level (she games but not much Mario experience) and that was revealing in terms of how best to use coins/whatever to telegraph where to go next. The tweaking may never end! :lol:
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Circuithead » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm

So I played this old tactical game called Full Spectrum Warrior that I enjoyed very much despite it's problems. A truly unique concept and rather realistic in it's presentation, but incredibly addictive. I finished it on the second hardest difficulty and had a blast. Then I played the sequel Ten Hammers and couldn't make it past the tutorial.

Endless spawning of enemies, enemies running straight through both your 4 men squads with barely any reaction from your guys, let alone shots being fired. A new mechanic of precision fire that lets you aim you soldier's rifle, but not press the actual trigger yourself because everything in these games is an order you give to be carried out, kinda like a real time X-Com. So you have to aim HIS gun and then tell him to shoot, but he couldn't take that decision himself when you give fire sectors on entrenched enemies. It's like they wanted more action in their predominantly strategy game without deviating too much from the actual design principles of the game. It makes your squads look like total hapless chumps who can't take a life saving decision when it matters. A "precision fire mode" that modifies the dice rolls for hitting the target but makes your cover less effective would've been just as good but no, go ahead and ask your sergeant to aim your gun for you.

:picard:

What a let down. The first game had its ridiculous moments of people 10 feet apart shooting at eachother with no success, but Ten Hammers really takes the cake in immersion breaking events that become valid strategies for the AI. It's stunning how you can change so little about a solid game concept and completely mess it up.

/rant

Off to start Homeworld remastered and Deserts of Kharak.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby 3205 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 am

ESP Ra De PS4/Switch port gets a 19th December Japan release date:

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1159278771033133056

NA release seems unlikely given M2's Shottriggers track record. I'll just get it on Japan PSN.
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:24 am

I remember Full Spectrum Warrior! I was awful at it back then but you're right, it is a unique game. Nobody ever talks about it. Too bad about the sequel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am

3205 wrote:ESP Ra De PS4/Switch port gets a 19th December Japan release date:

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1159278771033133056

NA release seems unlikely given M2's Shottriggers track record. I'll just get it on Japan PSN.

Thanks! PlayAsia made that one hard to see. Got it for PS4.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Circuithead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Achtane wrote:I remember Full Spectrum Warrior! I was awful at it back then but you're right, it is a unique game. Nobody ever talks about it. Too bad about the sequel.

To be frank, I don't think the sequel is a "bad game" but it definitely introduces too many gamey-gamey things for my tastes. Some people might actually prefer it to the first one.

I still played it for 3-4 hours before deciding to move on...Might come back to it in a year, got a big enough backlog as it is.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Someone please take me off fire emblem, it's ruining my life. :lol:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Circuithead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:00 pm

OMG Gearbox really did the Homeworld Remaster right. The intro nearly brought a tear to my eye.

I've read some neggie stuff regarding tactical formations not working right but they patched them in later and it seems to be on par with the original now.

This is up there in terms of remasters with Grim Fandango and Full Throttle that had insanely thoughtful remakes. In Full Throttle you can switch graphics from original to remaster at any time with a button. You really see what cloudy nostalgia glasses do to your memory. Both even had really good gamepad integration
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby Dapper Bandit » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:08 am

Trudging through Mario vs Rabbids, it's pretty cool and I like it but it's no X-Com. Which it obviously isn't setting out to be but I was informed otherwise by people who's opinion I used to take seriously. Once I've finished it I will be allowing myself to get a new game, SMM2 or Civ 6 maybe?

Has anyone played Civ on the Switch? Any good for people who have enjoyed that Civilization that came out on Xbox years ago?
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Circuithead » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am

I have CIV6 on PC, it's wonderful and I enjoyed it very much.

When you get good at the game systems you can break the timescale a bit (like building your spaceport in the 1600's) but that's nothing new for CIV, plus I always play on the biggest possible maps at the slowest possible speed which doesn't help scale things in a realistic way.

The separation of tech and civics is also a really good idea and the way you manage your governments using perk cards (not as lame as I make it sound) is more flexible. Essentially you can have a democracy but still maintain some of the advantages of other forms of government to essentially create your own. I never cared or put much effort into religion and it did not affect my games at all as far as I can tell.

I feel like diplomacy is more important this time around though. In both games where I focused on science and went for a science victory, there were long periods of hundreds of years where I was at war with at least one other leader, usually multiple people. Then we would sign a peace treaty and two turns later two other Civs would pile up on me and so on until I win. It was grating to say the least until I relented and opened up my borders to every one, which seemed to help somewhat.

If you like X-com and have a PC, you should give Xenonauts a spin.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 pm

codetocontra wrote:Thanks for playing them all! She just turned 11. She is getting pretty good at this game, and we make her clear her own courses before we play them. We streamed some endless expert levels on YouTube and she is getting a lot of inspiration for creating more. That one was all her though, not even a hint of suggestion from me. The other two courses were mine. I know they aren't easy. So much fun to play and create. Many amazingly creative levels out there. Of course some garbage stuff too. Please share your course when it is done.

It's up - FT7-K2S-3GG

Hope it's good!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion