The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Eivind August » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 am

Inconuucl wrote:I've been busy playing Links Awakening, to what I can assume is literally the surprise of no one here. :lol: Been avoiding the Zelda corners of the internet so I can see the windfish for the first time in all it's glory. :snax:

Same! :!!!:

Also looking forward to playing Dragon Quest XI. Getting a Switch was a great call, all the nostalgia is awesome.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby The Eristic » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Started playing the F2P Destiny 2. Mechanics are still great, remains to be seen if the content is more meaningful than in D1. There's definitely a lot of MMO-style busywork so far.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:05 am

The Eristic wrote:Started playing the F2P Destiny 2. Mechanics are still great, remains to be seen if the content is more meaningful than in D1. There's definitely a lot of MMO-style busywork so far.

This and the fact that the game is 100+ fucking gigabytes is what's kept me from getting D2.
I liked D1's atmosphere a lot, and I found the mechanics pretty nice and straightforward, too. But, man, I really hate grinding through wave after wave after wave after wave of throwaway enemies that take a full mag each to kill because you carry more ammo than the entire US military whist floating around like an angry wasp.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GAS KING » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:31 am

I'm still enjoying Destiny 2. Played 1 from beta and 2 from day 1.
I have taken breaks from it over its lifespan though.
Either you run out of new things to do or chase or you just burn out eventually.

Its less wave based stuff now and they buffed damage against trash mobs in the last patch.

I couldn't imagine starting Destiny 2 for the first time now though. It would be hella confusing and they don't do a good job explaining what you have to do.

That said Shadowkeep seems like a good new beginning after dropping Activi$ion.
The changes they are making show a lot of promise for future content.

Worst part of Destiny is the constant cost of keeping up with it. $60 a year basically.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Ranked as Master in Overwatch today. I started playing about a year ago and I was platinum, even gold, ranked for a long long ass time, then went through diamond rank in two seasons or so. Idk, it's just nice to actually have some progression. Wee, me. :lol: :joy:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mr. sound boy king » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:42 pm

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is kind of kicking my ass.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:10 am

I know I am extremely late to the party on this but I just started playing Undertale and it is delightful.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
The Eristic wrote:Started playing the F2P Destiny 2. Mechanics are still great, remains to be seen if the content is more meaningful than in D1. There's definitely a lot of MMO-style busywork so far.

This and the fact that the game is 100+ fucking gigabytes is what's kept me from getting D2.
I liked D1's atmosphere a lot, and I found the mechanics pretty nice and straightforward, too. But, man, I really hate grinding through wave after wave after wave after wave of throwaway enemies that take a full mag each to kill because you carry more ammo than the entire US military whist floating around like an angry wasp.

As an update, I went ahead and got the game. I have the same gripes about it as I did for the original, but having not spent a cent on it thus far, I've really enjoyed my experience.
I'm sure once I get past the new videogame honeymoon period I'll hate it again, but I'm pretty happy to experience a slice of nostalgia for a game I haven't had anything to do with in five years. :snax:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdiTAzX_ltc

Patrick Klepek played a level I made for him, starts about 4:45. Dotter did the art on the postcard, started crying when she saw this video, meant a lot to her to see. Quite touching.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 am

that's awesome!

murrrrrr. i have dilemma. i love everything i've heard about Witcher, and i'm super tempted to grab 3 on Switch. but.... i have never, ever. EVER played an open world game i enjoyed.

is Witchy Witchy Witchahhhhhhaaahhh going to break to for me?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 am

Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games! It's so much fun. Very open worldy so if that puts you off then it may not be for you... But the writing is good, the game looks gorgeous and the open world is fun to explore :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 am

It's less open than Skyrim, because you play as an actual character with a history, instead of a 33 year old fantasy christ that just appears from nowhere and knows no one. But the structure of the world is still quite free.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby calfzilla » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 am

behndy wrote:that's awesome!

murrrrrr. i have dilemma. i love everything i've heard about Witcher, and i'm super tempted to grab 3 on Switch. but.... i have never, ever. EVER played an open world game i enjoyed.

What don't you enjoy about open world games?

Witcher 3 is nice because a lot of the "places of interest" show up as question marks on the map, so you don't have to comb over every inch to find items/quests/etc.... It can get you into a heap of trouble though. Sometimes enemy levels can jump by 10 just going down the road.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby calfzilla » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 am

behndy wrote:that's awesome!

What don't you enjoy about open world games?

Witcher 3 is nice because a lot of the "places of interest" show up as question marks on the map, so you don't have to comb over every inch to find items/quests/etc.... It can get you into a heap of trouble though. Sometimes enemy levels can jump by 10 just going down the road.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby GAS KING » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:22 am

Not OP.
I'm in the "don't like open world games" group too.

I'm always in the "WTF am I doing? where do I go? Who are these people? these controls are wonky and the combat system sucks........wtf is up with these convoluted menus and inventory?" stage.
I've heard it takes 20-30 hrs in Witcher 3 to get past that.

I also don't think Gwent is fun. sue me.

I tried Witcher 3 and couldn't get into it. same with skyrim and fallout 3/4/new vegas.

Overall, open world games aren't very relaxing, fun or entertaining to me. I've found that games that are difficult or overly challenging aren't for me.
I play to relax....so dark souls games, open world and PvP/comp game just stress me out.
Gaming time is limited for me too.....so I feel like my time isn't well utilized by making mistakes and/or dealing with the huge learning curves.
Plus I play for a night and then forget what I was doing by the next time I play.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion