The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby 3205 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 pm

EDF 4.1 is the MST3K-tier Alien Invasion Movie Game Simulator that I never knew I needed in my life.
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am

Omg is the new edf on pc?
Fuckin love that series. Such honest and earnest games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 am

_themissingshade_ wrote:
Andrew wrote:Picked up both Wolfenstein New Order and New Colossus for $40 on PS4, played NO when it came out and dug it. Replaying it now and it's still freaking great, story character and cover-leaning gunplay. I definitely prefer it to DOOM :idk:

Did see Doom for pretty cheap, might pick it up for PS4 and might enjoy it more on console?

EDIT:
Smashed through NO. New Colossus gets batshit, took me some time but i'm loving the hell out of it

EDIT 2:
Finished New Colossus, was okay. They fucked the Stealth system hard. :poke:

I really wanted to like Wolfenstein (New Order), and I assumed I would based on its glowing praise. But damn did I walk away disappointed from it. :( I seem to be the only one who felt environments were bland, the gameplay tedious (the AI is pretty bad), and the story/characters mostly forgettable (this isn't an issue in Doom because the story isn't doing much work to carry the game). The first red flag for me was trying to make the player stress out over a dilemma involving characters you barely know. Fable 3 tried this too and it also had the emotional impact of a wet tissue. According to friends, I took the "less interesting" path with respect to that initial dilemma. IMO, it's not great design if your game has a less interesting path. With all this said, I also thought MGS V was horrible, so... :idk:

All of those games are grounded in their own universe though, Wolfenstein works to show how oppressive and expansive the Nazis are and Phantom Pain was built as a place to project yourself into. MGS was always steered towards using unique ways to beat a situation rather than being violent. Besides; games like PUBG, Minecraft, Rust, Pokemon GO, etc, is all entirely that and everyone is going to have their own weird experience - which is completely unique to games.

I will delicately say in criticism of Wolfenstein, the blatant "Ludonarrative dissonance" *wankwank* does get to the point where you are directly responsible of thousands of heinous murders where BJ is simply a War Criminal. Which goes against the tired Soldier trope that New Order was mostly about and what New Colossus was glorifying. :idk:
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 am

I'm late to the game with 20xx coz I'm a lowly console player but I mean it as a compliment when I say that it feels like a really good ROMhack of MegamanX. Really simple idea executed really well
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Mega Man X is best Mega Man :zen:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:15 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Mega Man X is best Mega Man :zen:

100% with you
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby _themissingshade_ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Andrew wrote:
All of those games are grounded in their own universe though, Wolfenstein works to show how oppressive and expansive the Nazis are and Phantom Pain was built as a place to project yourself into. MGS was always steered towards using unique ways to beat a situation rather than being violent. Besides; games like PUBG, Minecraft, Rust, Pokemon GO, etc, is all entirely that and everyone is going to have their own weird experience - which is completely unique to games.

I will delicately say in criticism of Wolfenstein, the blatant "Ludonarrative dissonance" *wankwank* does get to the point where you are directly responsible of thousands of heinous murders where BJ is simply a War Criminal. Which goes against the tired Soldier trope that New Order was mostly about and what New Colossus was glorifying. :idk:

Fair points all around. If I had played Wolf closer to its release I think I would have enjoyed it more since it did break some ground and bring life into the dying art of the solo FPS campaign experience.
_themissingshade_

Postby _themissingshade_ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:56 pm

With the Mega Man comments above, I have to assume you all are getting hyped for Mega Man 11?
_themissingshade_

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:19 pm

not as much as the X collection. I've only ever played the ones with zero in on handheld and I'm looking forward to playing them with a real pad
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby RubenTheDev » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:02 pm

_themissingshade_ wrote:With the Mega Man comments above, I have to assume you all are getting hyped for Mega Man 11?

heeelll yeah man, MMX collection and MM11 are both gonna be day one buys for me.

Also I play a lot of mobile games, like every time a new gacha game comes out I play it for a while before I get bored, but been playing brave exvius for the better part of a year now, dev is kinda hit and miss, but the game is a ton of fun.

Anyone have any thoughts on Octopath Traveler? I played the demo and it really didn't do anything for me, which is crazy considering how much I generally love jrpgs, but this just felt like all of the bad parts of the snes era ones w/out any of the charm.
Though because I was so...like..surprised? at my dislike of it I've been reading a lot of people's thoughts on it and it seems like maybe its just slow to get going? Almost like the opposite of Bravely Default which hit you in the face w/ 'look at all these old school, tired out tropes!' but really felt like it was going somewhere and quick, and that job system? awesome...
anyway, now I'm rambling, what're your thoughts dudes?
yarn is the better option because of the kitty icon, npm can't compare.
RubenTheDev

interested
interested

Postby calfzilla » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 am

Getting sucked into Bravely Second. Glad it's not a "oh, hey, you're level one, grind to level 10 immediately" like Bravely Default. Still trying to figure out special move triggers but it seems pretty fun. I know I'm a few years late to this party, but oh well.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am

Wife bought a Nintendo Classic last night, it's been pretty fun playing Castlevania and Final Fantasy again. Save slots are a wonderful thing.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby baremountain » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 pm

nogodsnobedtimes wrote:Wife bought a Nintendo Classic last night, it's been pretty fun playing Castlevania and Final Fantasy again. Save slots are a wonderful thing.

The SNES classic is even better, as it has up to a minute of rewind which really saves some time if you're bad at old school games like I am.

Also any of you Switch owners pick up Octopath Traveler yet? I have been absolutely engrossed in this game since Friday. I did the 3 hours of the demo before the release, but I'm already up to 29 hours total :facepalm:
Never really been a JRPG fan - Earthbound was the only one I've properly played - but I am completely sucked in. The bit art is gorgeous, and the stories are surprisingly compelling. I'm 6/8ths through the second chapters, and I'm already slightly over-leveled on my main 4 characters (H'aanit, Therion, Primrose, and Cyrus) for their third chapters.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:25 pm

minor mario odyssey spoilers i guess but
NSFW: show
bowser's shogun palace is one of the best ideas nintendo have had in nearly 20 years
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby calfzilla » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:01 pm

FFIII is not as fun as I remember....
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion