The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am

yeah, i ADORED DQ11's second act, it was perfect. i think it overdid it a bit with the 3rd act, trading mainly on nostalgia for old DQs that i haven't played.

having said that, i will DEFINITELY play it again on Switch at some point because i love it too much and need that symphonic score
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:23 pm

I've played the first five on various consoles, so looking forward to that! Only a few hours in, but really enjoying it. And the symphonic soundtrack is nice.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 pm

This looks cool.
Generic zombie game #3246, but cool if it isn't vaporware.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Gonna pick up The Outer Worlds after my exams. Looks like Fallout meets Mass Effect. I'm down.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:32 am

Some days I go back and watch the original Destiny demo and dream of a world where Bungie actually released the game they originally envisioned.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GAS KING » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:10 am

That's exactly how Destiny is. I don't get it?

Destiny 1 was a little more hardcore/gritty. Destiny 2 at launch was dumbed down for Activi$ion and Eververse MTX pushing. With Forsaken and Shadowkeep they have been turning the ship around again and getting back to their roots.
I took a break from Destiny after Warmind but am playing regularly again. Game is good overall. Its not what it should be but its not bad.
The grind is real with this game though. There is some min/max'ing in the game with armor 2.0 and seaasonal artifact.

BL3 halloween event starts today.

The Outer Worlds releases today. Reviews are good so far.

Red Dead 2 Nov 5th. I'm going to give it a shot. Everyone here saying its good.........though I normally don't like open world games.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby 3205 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:50 am

My 2 year old gets really hyped watching me play Nex Machina. I can't wait to be able to play stuff with him.
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby calfzilla » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:33 am

GAS KING wrote:That's exactly how Destiny is. I don't get it?

Destiny 1 was a little more hardcore/gritty. Destiny 2 at launch was dumbed down for Activi$ion and Eververse MTX pushing. With Forsaken and Shadowkeep they have been turning the ship around again and getting back to their roots.
I took a break from Destiny after Warmind but am playing regularly again. Game is good overall. Its not what it should be but its not bad.
The grind is real with this game though. There is some min/max'ing in the game with armor 2.0 and seaasonal artifact.

BL3 halloween event starts today.

The Outer Worlds releases today. Reviews are good so far.

Red Dead 2 Nov 5th. I'm going to give it a shot. Everyone here saying its good.........though I normally don't like open world games.

I honestly hated RDR2. Shootouts just felt clunky and unrewarding. The whole camp system was weird. I don't know, wasn't really my bag. Felt like there was too much "real" stuff to do in the game instead of actually playing the game. At least in games like Far Cry or Witcher or Fallout that's not on uber hard difficulty, you don't have to worry about when you ate last or how big your last deuce was.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:59 pm

calfzilla wrote:witcher.

I never played this game. Would it be worth my while to pick it up these days (I see it's out on Switch) or has it aged poorly?
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby calfzilla » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:48 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:

I never played this game. Would it be worth my while to pick it up these days (I see it's out on Switch) or has it aged poorly?

My daughter was born 6 weeks ago. I bought it on PSN a week before that. It was on sale for $15 and I had $10 in my PSN wallet, so for $5, unbeatable.

I don't think it's aged poorly at all, but I'm on a PS4. Nintendo has always been behind to curve as far as graphics are concerned because they like focusing on the user experience. I don't know how it would look on the switch, but it's been very enjoyable for me. Controls can get a little cumbersome as far as free movement and things, and the battle camera can be a bit clunky, but most of it is very well done. Expansions are great. I think the replay value would be fairly high because there's a lot of ways to do things differently that affect the story. You can also try out different witcher builds.

It's still very firmly in the open world RPG camp, but the battle system is one of the most... rewarding, I guess? You can try to hack n slash your way through, or straight magic, or use nothing but oils/potions/bombs, or any combination. There's even some quests/battles that take some outside the box thinking.

It's not perfect by any means. But if it isn't too expensive, it'd be an enjoyable time sync if you're into those kind of games.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm

GAS KING wrote:That's exactly how Destiny is. I don't get it?

The thing about it was that it was presented almost like No Man's Sky as a full open world where you could go anywhere. In fairness, if you ignore the bullshit the dev's say, it does look exactly like what dropped when the original Destiny came out. :idk:
D2 has been alright, but I've been yearning for a sci-fi open world space shooter. Hopefully the next Halo delivers on that, but I doubt it.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Yesterday I worked out how to hook my XBox360 up to my XBoxOne S so I can play Mass Effect 2 with all the DLC I bought for it :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:

Witcher 3? Absolutely should play it, though I don't know how it handles on the Switch. If you're willing to dig into the story (and especially if you're willing to do a little outside research so you're familiar with where the game picks up in The Witcher chronology), it *might* be the GOAT. It's not as mechanically demanding as a Souls, but the world is rich and deep and there are loads of ways to approach it and outcomes for you, the other characters and the entire world. It also contains a few shockingly emotionally compelling moments, depending on how things play out.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:04 am

Yeah the Witcher 3 is great. I don't think it's agreed badly? It's the best looking game I've ever played, though I don't know how that translates to switch.

Only if you like open world games though, there's a lot of wandering around the wilderness looking for stuff, which I love in this game but is not everybody's cup of tea.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:06 am

GAS KING wrote:Not OP.
I'm in the "don't like open world games" group too.

I'm always in the "WTF am I doing? where do I go? Who are these people? these controls are wonky and the combat system sucks........wtf is up with these convoluted menus and inventory?" stage.
I've heard it takes 20-30 hrs in Witcher 3 to get past that.

I also don't think Gwent is fun. sue me.

I tried Witcher 3 and couldn't get into it. same with skyrim and fallout 3/4/new vegas.

Overall, open world games aren't very relaxing, fun or entertaining to me. I've found that games that are difficult or overly challenging aren't for me.
I play to relax....so dark souls games, open world and PvP/comp game just stress me out.
Gaming time is limited for me too.....so I feel like my time isn't well utilized by making mistakes and/or dealing with the huge learning curves.
Plus I play for a night and then forget what I was doing by the next time I play.

I can totally understand all of this. I now don't game very much either so I feel the same way about a lot of big games but the Witcher managed to toe the line for me and be enjoyable even if I picked it up for half an hour a week. And mostly it kept me interested enough to play more than that.

I never found the controls or menu difficult from the start so maybe that's just a personal preference thing

Gwent is boring though.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion