The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby rustywire » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:Retro/hoarder types - the fairly cheap S-video cable you can get off amazon (I think mine was about £15?) makes a noticeable difference on my PAL GameCube, presumably SNES and N64 too. It's not progressive scan but it's an improvement on my fairly up-to-date-but-budget LED TV.

I have an oem snes s-video cable for my ntsc-u GC and launch snes. Not so long ago I grabbed a snes mini modded for rgb and have proper scart cables/adaptors for use with an old pvm monitor with csync.
PAL gamecube has native RGB output capability. You can use nintendo-to-rgb or nintendo-to-scart to scart-to-component etc with an rgb monitor, no modding required.
If you want zero input lag and the least frustrating gaming experience, it's worth it (providing you've got some budget to invest in a rig you plan to keep).
However...there's nothing inherently wrong with having a super simple composite+crt setup. It's how most of us played in the 90s, before that it was with coaxial connections. Your local thriftshop can provide a score for about $30. In any event have fun :hobbes:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Man, I don't have room for a CRT in my tiny flat! I would totally get one if I did. I had one in my room at mom&dad's until about 2012, mainly for snes/n64, that i got for £10. I've got a preordered SNES mini that may or may not turn up and I'm looking forward to seeing the different display options in action.

There was a time when TVs had far too many connections, most of which went unused. Now, if it isn't HDMI, you're gonna have a headache trying to hook it up. Unless you've got multiple displays/monitors available, of course!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bloatedsack » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am

Olin wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:I wonder if Star Citizen will ever be released.

I'm probably, reluctantly, giving up hope for it. Sorry space worms, I wanted to...

Elite Dangerous.

That's the closest thing you've got the SC's promises in an actual realized form. You get a vastly larger universe, fantastic visuals, lots of options to really decide how you want to play and it's been out for years.

You won't get the ability to walk around your ship. I'm willing to trade that for 400 billion star systems and thousands of stations you can dock at, though.

The 26th marks the release of their next big content update, the hostile aliens from the 1984 video game have been teasing their arrival by locking people in hyperspace, paralyzing their ship and scanning them. Wreckage and mysterious structures on planets. Blasted capital ships of the largest intergalactic faction's navy left to drift.

If you want a space game, ED's about the only game in town. Or EVE, but that's a different tact.

neonblack wrote:
oscillateur wrote:Do yourself a favor and get Splatoon 2. Seriously one of my favorite games ever

I want a Switch just for Splatoon 2. I consider Splatoon to be the best online multiplayer shooter i've ever played, period.

For those of you in teh US with PS4s, Titanfall 2 is on sale for another day or so for $12. It's definately worth that.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby waltdogg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am

switches are becoming available around here. unfortunately besides zelda, there's not a single game already announced within the next year in ahalf that tickles my fancy.

got the guide for samus returns coz my ocd was getting the better of me. now i can focus on playing and getting better at the controls without wandering aimlessly to find every nook and crany in a linear game... reminds me of playing bioshock lol.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 am

Man, I subconsciously started getting the Elevator music from ME1 stuck in my head. Immediately decided that I needed to do my annual Mass Effect Trilogy playthrough.

I always go the FemShep way the last few ME run throughs, but there's something compelling about ManShep's incredibly dry delivery. The same way I love Snake and Adam Jenson - Canadians, eh?

EDIT:
Whoaaaaaaaaah. Final Fantasy IX incoming on PS4 it seems. Hell yeah, the last good FF game:thumb:
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 am

I spent the weekend playing the free trial of Dead by Daylight. Mechanically flawed but lots of fun to be the killer trying to find the 4 survivors. Like playing hide and seek with murder. Now I feel like trying the Friday the 13th game too. They seem very similar.

Also started playing The Witness. Spent an hour in it or so, finished a bunch of puzzles. Not really feeling it. Might put it down and come back later. So much praise makes it maybe worth a 2nd look.

Really want to pickup the XCom 2 DLC. I lost so many hours in the base game while literally playing until sunrise.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:18 am

Nice, ZOE2 coming to PS4 baby!

Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:02 am

Bought a new laptop (Asus ROG GL502VM) for some gaming and editing. My current laptop is at least 5 years old now and seriously burning my thighs whenever I'm doing either of those things.

New one has a 6GB GTX1060, i7-7700HQ, 16gb ram and SSD HD (I've been longing for one forever).

Hyped! :zen:

Just need to get some stickers for the WASD keys, because they be tacky as fuck. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby worra » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 am

Finally getting into Breath Of The Wild, gosh what a great game
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 am

worra wrote:Finally getting into Breath Of The Wild, gosh what a great game

Yeah! I was worried that it being the only game for the Switch I really had to play, that it would get old. 40-50 hours later and me and the misses are still having a blast exploring. Hylian Skyrim. :love:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am

Andrew wrote:Nice, ZOE2 coming to PS4 baby!

Bone of the Enders
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 am

Me and D.o.S. has a ZoE reminiscing session the other day, actually. Great game (with MGS2 hype demo included!), but too damn short.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 pm

I know what you mean. And yet, I never finished the sequel! Barely played it, in fact!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 pm

... they made a sequel??
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:52 pm

The 2nd Runner with anime cutscenes. You can still get on the PS3 (+ vita?) HD remaster
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion