Meditation

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Meditation

Postby repoman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:59 pm

I've been doing 20 minutes a day for about a month now. It seems to have start to become helpful in being less anxious for a period of time after, I guess about 2 hours? I think I need more like 30 minutes for it to have real effect but I am liking it. I just sit on a bench and pay attention to breath. That seems to be the easiest way to let thoughts pass. Sometimes if an itch or some kind of pain comes up I just focus on it and don't scratch it/readjust, which seems hard at first but also seems to really help with how effective the time spent meditating feels? Its like a bonus bit of entertainment when doing it...as weird as that seems. Theres also been bits poping up that last a couple seconds where it feels like there is really nothing going through my head, not even the focus on breath. That is weird. Some days it feels like I just wasted 20 minutes and felt nothing or even more anxious but from what I've read thats all normal.
I've also been experimenting with it when biking. I can kind of do the same thing and just focus on my breath while climbing hard for a little bit. Not sure if this is yogic breathing or what, but I can get a lot more air in when really pushing out my stomach/breath into your balls or whatever they say.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Sparrow » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Awesome! i still worry about doing things the right way. but - i find it's best to just do what you like. no real method is needed.
you just have to make it a habit. train your mind and body to make it a routine. everyday.

small things like posture and walking confidence are really Boosted. my back and neck feel the best they have in years.
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Sparrow » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Om Bhoor Bhuvah Svaha
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat

"The presiding deity of the Gayatri Mantra is Lord Sun. Gayatri is personified as a goddess, the consort of Brahma (Sarasvati), and mother of the Vedas.

The Gayatri Mantra is never chanted for the purposes of material gains, physical or otherwise. Its very invocation concludes with an appeal to the pure Consciousness to illumine more our heart-mind.
It is a prayer unto the Self to unveil itself and come to manifest as pure wisdom in our life.

The Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest available Divine hymns.
In the ancient Vedic literature, this mantra is dedicated to the deity Sun. This mantra is sung in the Vedic-meter called Gayatri. This is considered to be the most important mantra written out in Gayatri meter, and therefore, by tradition, this mantra has come to be known as Gayatri.

It has actually been observed that by the repetition of this Gayatri Mantra with the right understanding of its sacred meaning, the ordinary negative tendencies in the human mind can be erased out to a large extent.

It is believed that for any one frightened in the dark, immediate chanting of the Gayatri Mantra is advised to get over the nervousness of the fright.

It is also believed that on starting any important and great work if a person detects some bad omen, that person must immediately sit down and chant eleven times the Gayatri. If on starting again, he meets with a new set of bad omens then he is to sit down again and chant the Gayatri for sixteen times, to remove the effects of the bad omen encountered.

The deeper philosophic meaning of Gayatri:

In our inner life, the sun represents the light-giver, the illuminator of all experiences, the ATMAN(Soul). This pure consciousness in us, the inner centre of our personality around which the matter envelopments function with mathematical precision- just as around the sun the entire solar system revolves- is being invoked to shine more and more in our intellect.

Without the Atman ( the light that is our consciousness), the bodily matters become inert and dead, just as without the sun life would have been impossible."
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby terminalvertigo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:06 am

this sounds like a spam email.
terminalvertigo

committed
committed

Postby popvulture » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:32 am

I'm a big fan, but I'm still figuring it out (not that you ever really do, obviously). In general I have a super restless mind and have a really hard time with anxiety and worry, and occasionally depression. I'd still label myself as new to meditation, but I've already found it to be immensely helpful and can't even begin to comprehend its impact on life with extended practice.

I've really enjoyed reading the opinions/practices/experiences of various people. Some books I've found really useful:

Jon Kabat-Zinn - Full Catastrophe Living
Mark Epstein - Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart
Dan Harris - 10% Happier - This one's a great entry point for skeptics, especially in audiobook form, although some might find him grating. I found him newscaster-y but endearing and funny.
Currently reading Taking the Path of Zen by Robert Aitken. God I sound like such a hippie here... but yeah, I am.

Honestly one of the things that I've enjoyed the most and found the most simple/straightforward/helpful: the Headspace app.

Also, I fucking love this board. Thank y'all.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:50 am

terminalvertigo wrote:this sounds like a spam email.

no .. it doesn't :joy: :hug:
i just put the info for people to read.
i just listen, and close my eyes.
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Sparrow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:52 am

popvulture wrote:I'm a big fan, but I'm still figuring it out (not that you ever really do, obviously). In general I have a super restless mind and have a really hard time with anxiety and worry, and occasionally depression. I'd still label myself as new to meditation, but I've already found it to be immensely helpful and can't even begin to comprehend its impact on life with extended practice.

I've really enjoyed reading the opinions/practices/experiences of various people. Some books I've found really useful:

Jon Kabat-Zinn - Full Catastrophe Living
Mark Epstein - Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart
Dan Harris - 10% Happier - This one's a great entry point for skeptics, especially in audiobook form, although some might find him grating. I found him newscaster-y but endearing and funny.
Currently reading Taking the Path of Zen by Robert Aitken. God I sound like such a hippie here... but yeah, I am.

Honestly one of the things that I've enjoyed the most and found the most simple/straightforward/helpful: the Headspace app.

Also, I fucking love this board. Thank y'all.

Great post dude! will check the books.
and.. keep it up.
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Sparrow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 am

ok .. let's do this :!!!:

Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby terminalvertigo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Sparrow wrote:
terminalvertigo wrote:this sounds like a spam email.

no .. it doesn't :joy: :hug:
i just put the info for people to read.
i just listen, and close my eyes.

I meant this specifically :)*

"The presiding deity of the Gayatri Mantra is Lord Sun. Gayatri is personified as a goddess, the consort of Brahma (Sarasvati), and mother of the Vedas.

The Gayatri Mantra is never chanted for the purposes of material gains, physical or otherwise. Its very invocation concludes with an appeal to the pure Consciousness to illumine more our heart-mind.
It is a prayer unto the Self to unveil itself and come to manifest as pure wisdom in our life.

The Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest available Divine hymns.
In the ancient Vedic literature, this mantra is dedicated to the deity Sun. This mantra is sung in the Vedic-meter called Gayatri. This is considered to be the most important mantra written out in Gayatri meter, and therefore, by tradition, this mantra has come to be known as Gayatri.

It has actually been observed that by the repetition of this Gayatri Mantra with the right understanding of its sacred meaning, the ordinary negative tendencies in the human mind can be erased out to a large extent.

It is believed that for any one frightened in the dark, immediate chanting of the Gayatri Mantra is advised to get over the nervousness of the fright.

It is also believed that on starting any important and great work if a person detects some bad omen, that person must immediately sit down and chant eleven times the Gayatri. If on starting again, he meets with a new set of bad omens then he is to sit down again and chant the Gayatri for sixteen times, to remove the effects of the bad omen encountered.

The deeper philosophic meaning of Gayatri:

In our inner life, the sun represents the light-giver, the illuminator of all experiences, the ATMAN(Soul). This pure consciousness in us, the inner centre of our personality around which the matter envelopments function with mathematical precision- just as around the sun the entire solar system revolves- is being invoked to shine more and more in our intellect.

Without the Atman ( the light that is our consciousness), the bodily matters become inert and dead, just as without the sun life would have been impossible."
terminalvertigo

committed
committed

Postby Sparrow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:44 am

:!!!: colourful.

Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby decomposing » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:14 pm

good reminder
I used to just sit and focus on some note but now there's so much drone
earth 2 is a great album to zen out to
and the 432 hz stuff
found out the beatles and a lot of others tuned to this somewhere

(((trades>>>
///ronripper/WesMantooth/thebetasignal/SpaceFlunky/Jnichols2727/pieceofshit/DannDubbleEwe/
Brobee/odontophobia/chuckjaywalk/ChetMagongalo/nevada/BassIsBad/jellyfishfuzz/ingloriousoz/MrNovember/killthenil/K2000///>>>)))
/// images >>> https://www.instagram.com/neuroticexpanse///

decomposing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:06 am

decomposing wrote:good reminder
I used to just sit and focus on some note but now there's so much drone
earth 2 is a great album to zen out to
and the 432 hz stuff
found out the beatles and a lot of others tuned to this somewhere

:joy:

"432Hz unites you with the universal harmony.

This musical pitch is connected to the numbers used in the construction of a variety of ancient works and sacred places, such as the Great Pyramid of Egypt. It’s also more friendly for your ears. For many people, it is nicer for hearing – softer, brighter and more beautiful than music in 440 Hz.

432Hz is based in nature and therefore it generates healthy effects among the listeners. It brings natural harmony and balance of the 3rd dimension and connects you with a higher consciousness. The pure and clean energy of 432Hz removes mental block and opens a way to a more fulfilling life.

Many ancient instruments are adjusted at 432Hz. It is because the ancients knew that this tone is closely related to the universe around us. Don’t throw away their knowledge. The universal and natural tuning of 432Hz is waiting to be discovered by you."
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Sparrow » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:07 am

Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby decomposing » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:46 pm

(((trades>>>
///ronripper/WesMantooth/thebetasignal/SpaceFlunky/Jnichols2727/pieceofshit/DannDubbleEwe/
Brobee/odontophobia/chuckjaywalk/ChetMagongalo/nevada/BassIsBad/jellyfishfuzz/ingloriousoz/MrNovember/killthenil/K2000///>>>)))
/// images >>> https://www.instagram.com/neuroticexpanse///

decomposing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:53 pm

i find this Really Effective! it relaxes All muscles, not just yer vocal chords.
if anyone Sings, or has throat issues. try this - just as background music. it works without headphones. headphones are More effective though.
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion