The Automotive (& other mechanized vehicles) thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Automotive (& other mechanized vehicles) thread

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

The choice of censorship...is interesting
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Well, it's a pink car. So, obviously a lady is drivin' it. :whoa:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Achtane » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:17 pm

I LOVE IT WHEN THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CAR AND IT TURNS OUT TO BE AS INSIGNIFICANT AS A SPARK PLUG THAT HADN'T BEEN FULLY TIGHTENED DOWN
I didn't even get dirty!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:47 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:05 pm

I got this sweet RC 80's Toyota pickup kit from AliExpress and customized it to match my dad's, just in time for Christmas.
I couldn't find an exact color matching spray paint, but oh well. I cut up a tire pressure gauge to make the bumper.
What an obscure model to make an RC of.
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:58 pm

:lol: :)* :D
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:35 pm

I'm thinking about visiting the junkyard and seeing if they have any halfway decent car or truck batteries so I can start in on my attempt to get the Chevy running again. I need to punch a hole in an out-building and get the car under a roof of some sort.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:49 pm

I'd probably just build a little shelter for it. Might be easier for now.

Junkyard may have some good batteries but I don't really know if would be much cheaper or if they can even sell them. They still have to charge the core and all those environmental unless it's different up there. With the core refund, I would think you should be able to find a battery for around $60-80 and it may be useful to just have a backup around for your squareback. Then just keep a battery tender on it here and there.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I wound up buying a 750 (600 CCA) battery for $25 plus a $10 core charge (which they'll refund if I can find some scrap in the shape of a battery within a week or so). 30 day warranty, manufacturing date of May 2018, Les Schwab branded. B&R Auto made my day today (actually, my uncle made my day, but that's a story for a different thread).

I almost bought a huge ~800 CCA truck battery for the same price, but I wasn't sure it would fit right in the Belair's engine compartment and know for a fact that it wouldn't fit in the VW, so I erred on the side of caution.

I'm going to try and start the engine tomorrow.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Awesome. $25 sounds good to me.

I don't mess with the junkyards down here in LA. They're terrible and won't talk to you or let you go pick yer part. I'm sure there are better places, but finding them ain't fun. Neither is getting there during hours. Their could also be policy of some that they just recycle batteries down here, but I'm not sure.

I just never have luck down here. Got a few parts for my sister's sn95 mustang years ago, but that was about it. My dad says up in Washington they don't get stripped so fast like down here.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Achtane » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:14 pm

I got passed on the highway by a dumpy-lookin' early 2000s Honda minivan that was lowered, had big fender flares and an upwards-bent dual exhaust like on bosozoku cars.

MY HERO :omg:

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Circuithead » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 am

lordgalvar wrote:Awesome. $25 sounds good to me.

I don't mess with the junkyards down here in LA. They're terrible and won't talk to you or let you go pick yer part. I'm sure there are better places, but finding them ain't fun. Neither is getting there during hours. Their could also be policy of some that they just recycle batteries down here, but I'm not sure.

I just never have luck down here. Got a few parts for my sister's sn95 mustang years ago, but that was about it. My dad says up in Washington they don't get stripped so fast like down here.

Up in eastern Canada it's the same thing for me.

If I can't walk around, explore and wrench off my own parts I usually don't bother.

The car is a '65 Impala SS with a 327, 5 speed swapped (puny non-WC T5 tho...) and I'm not too concerned with originality, so I'll often pull parts off cars that don't match, and modify them so they do. Hell, my gear shifter comes from a rear shock absorber from a mid 2000's new Beetle. I was looking for a skinny shifter to complete the swap (it's coming through the original auto-trans shifter hole, which doesn't have a lot of room. The custom shifter that came with the car hit the console in 5th and reverse) and it was lying around after the owner of the building was done swapping them for new ones, so I cut off the chrome rod and welded it on, then made a custom boot with my GF's sowing machine. It's threaded at the top so I'll figure something out with a drilled/tapped 8-ball or something.

So imagine when I show up at a junkyard that won't let you walk around...it's like

"I need a license plate holder for a 65 impala"
"we don't have one"
"okay so maybe one from another car would fit with some fiddling or drilling? Anything from a 60's car or truck will probably fit with new holes or I can easily make a spacer plate with properly placed holes it's not a big deal"
"I dunno about that"
"Well me neither, that's why I'll take a look around and pick something I know I can make fit."
"We don't allow that."
"Awesome."

It's like would you like my money? I came here to spend it....

Most Junkyards here will let you walk around, but sometimes they still won't let you because they don' have "the part you're looking for" which is ridiculous to me.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm

Pick and Pull is my jam. It's like a museum of sorts and I especially like finding little personal items. Not letting you get the stuff yourself is lame.
That custom shifter sounds great.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion