The "I did this to my house" Thread.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The "I did this to my house" Thread.

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 pm

skullservant wrote:Moving into a new place this weekend. My wife said she wanted me to paint. I'm sure I'll take pictures of whatever happens as well as whatever becomes dirgeland/mancave

Don't paint, just draw on your walls and make them look your pedals. haha. I'm sure that would go over well. My wife wants me to paint a mural in the backyard of our dogs in a hot air ballon. I talked her out of that one, but she still wants something... Congrats on the new place though.

Quite a nice place UC. European bathrooms/plumbing baffles me. The one time I left the USA, we went to England. Everybodies kitchen drained into a freaking trough in the back yard that went to an open air drain. Blew my mind (they were newish houses too...). Showers without a lip don't fly past inspectors here and tubs going into floor drains :no: . You guys do like white. Pretty awesome balcony and stuff though.

Colin: BC and the pacifc nw is awesome. My parents live in Anacortes on Fidalgo Island (right by Guemes and Orca). They love it. The berries are everywhere. The pond looks nice but will you have problems with freezing? I know that my parents have special hosebibs with hot water plumbed to them too.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed May 27, 2015 7:18 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Showers without a lip don't fly past inspectors here

Why the fuck not? :idk: :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby colin » Wed May 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Freezing shouldn't be a serious issue for my pond, it doesn't get that cold here for long and the pond is sufficiently deep that only the very top layer will freeze over. Koi and goldfish will survive the winter just fine provided I make sure that there's a least a small part of the pond that doesn't freeze over (so that oxygen can get in the water).

In fact when I pumped out the stagnant old water earlier this spring and replaced it, about a week later I found some little black fish swimming in it (which we certainly did not put in). So they obviously survived the winter.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Alright, here is a bit of what I have done. I will add more later. Been living in this house for 2 years.

Here is the Hallway:
NSFW: show
In the middle of replacing the subfloor. I didn't include all the pics of the sistering and junk.

The hallway as I was tiling it. SALTILLO!

Fireplace:
This was the way it came. Behind those glass tile mirrors was the original inset mirror. It hath been freed!

This was in the middle of refacing the fireplace:

This is pretty much how it looks today: The frame was built with no nails or screws ( i only used screws to attach it to the wall). Only dowels and locking joints were used. Notice that my floors are not refinished and there isn't any moulding because i havent re done the floors.

Just another picture so you can see my screw up. I fixed it though.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:29 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:

I dunno. People need something to trip over? It's just the way it is. I think there is this universal fear of mold in the US and they don't understand you can hot mop a whole room.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 pm

colin wrote:Freezing shouldn't be a serious issue for my pond, it doesn't get that cold here for long and the pond is sufficiently deep that only the very top layer will freeze over. Koi and goldfish will survive the winter just fine provided I make sure that there's a least a small part of the pond that doesn't freeze over (so that oxygen can get in the water).

In fact when I pumped out the stagnant old water earlier this spring and replaced it, about a week later I found some little black fish swimming in it (which we certainly did not put in). So they obviously survived the winter.

Nice, I didn't think it got that cold up there, but whoever built my parents house went overboard I think. I'd love to live in a place that green.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

I dunno. People need something to trip over? It's just the way it is. I think there is this universal fear of mold in the US and they don't understand you can hot mop a whole room.

Haha, I see. We have good ventilation and underfloor heating, so mould should be an issue. Also, I got the tiles all tilting ever so slightly towards both of the drains. Gold star for me. :)*

Those tiles around the fireplace are trippy as fuck, haha! Very groovy. :cool:
Last edited by UglyCasanova on Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby colin » Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Oh wow that fireplace looks amazing!

My house has a chimney, and I can tell where the fireplace used to be, but it's been walled in. I'd love to put a fireplace back in one day, but I imagine it would be a lot of work. Not sure on the legality either, I know that installing new wood burning fireplaces is banned here, I'm not sure if refurbishing a walled-in old one would be grandfathered in or if I'd have to convert to gas.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed May 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Here's my fireplace. Small. Matches the appartment. :lol:

And that's one of my dogs, Penny. She always looks upset, don't worry.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 pm

weed_killer wrote:
skullservant wrote:Moving into a new place this weekend. My wife said she wanted me to paint. I'm sure I'll take pictures of whatever happens as well as whatever becomes dirgeland/mancave

awesome news, congrats!

Thanks dude. Got a townhouse. Still renting but it's better than our current situation so we will take it. Also more room/space to call our own
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 pm

Front Bathroom:

Before:

The sink is from the New York School of art and design. It is from 1920s maybe earlier. It is 6' long and made of cast iron. I build the faucets out of shower valves and resturant parts. (there are two). Three mirrors. The tub is LA local vintage (which is pretty rare, cause we are a fairly young place) from 1920. Wall tile is Encaustic Concrete, floors are saltillo.

My fancy solderin'. The shower/tub has four heads (2 over head/rain + 2 adjustable on arms, and a hand sprayer and a tub filler)

Tile Pattern:

Completed bathroom:

Front door Revision
I found this door. I tore it apart, sanded it, made filler with it's dust and rebuilt it. I also built the brass light out of stuff I found.

Trust me, there is a moisture barrier in there. The foam fill was just used to help stucco (I cut most of it out).

This one is inside with the trim.

I will add more later.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Fireplaces are banned here too. I think they have burn days and stuff but you probably could still get a ticket. I dunno, we rarely get below 50 and it averages 65 in the winter. I hate it.

Our fireplace is just for show.

That little fireplace is awesome UC.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Wed May 27, 2015 7:54 pm

You guys're serious.

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:56 pm

I just remembered that I built that window from scratch in the bathroom. I don't know why I thought that was a good idea. Seemed cool at the time? Did it with chisels and crap
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed May 27, 2015 8:01 pm

That front door is epic! :love:

Nice job on the bathroom too. I dig all the patterns you guys have. My grey contrast wall sounds pretty conservative right about now. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion