POLITICS: what have you done for us lately?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The most apolitical thread from the standpoint of politi

Postby Benn Roe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 am

That study doesn't conclude anything useful. "Political correctness" is a term developed by the right to undermine linguistic sensitivity and belittle its proponents, and has subsequently always had negative connotations. When you ask someone "what are your thoughts on political correctness", especially without defining the term, it should be to the surprise of nobody that almost everyone says it's a problem. It's a loaded term. It was designed that way. It's like asking people how they feel about racism. Duh, everyone hates it, but ask them more specific questions about racist behaviour and you'll pretty quickly realize that's not the whole picture.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby Sonaboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:15 am

Bassist_Diver wrote:I never said the two were equal, though - I'm pointing out that neither side is immune to mob assemblies that get out of hand very quickly, giving two examples for each side (OWS/AntiFa and the TPM/UTR, respectively).

Ehhm...well, using these two as comparison groups is still troubling because of what "out of hand" implies for their core causes.

OWS never got out of hand, in my opinion. A small minority of people got hurt unfortunately, a large number of people were inconvenienced (by design) and a larger number of people became politically activated to the cause (also by design). Just like institutional unfairness in courts and by public officials was a cause that BLM felt that needed more attention, OWS had good reasons to up the ante, but they never resorted to real violence.

UTR got out of hand, all over the issue of...what? A bunch of privileged white guys sensed that their social currency was getting devalued? Get past all the confrontational racist posturing these guys scream at you, and this is essentially what their problem is, like you said, they imagine they aren't being "heard." But they are being heard. Media airwaves are filled with low information white guys yelling at other white people about all the wrong reasons about why they have no money or opportunity, when compared to minorities, they have plenty of both.

AntiFA you make a point about, but I don't really recall seeing them organize before all this current top down authoritarian worship began. Are they driving cars through crowds? Shooting into crowds? I've seen a lot of cherry-picked incidents of their "brutality" in some superfun blogs and occasionally on FOX.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Sonaboy wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-to-unveil-federal-cannabis-reform-very-soon-says-gop-lawmaker
Man, Trump's pulling all the stops to make sure the election falls in the GOP's favor.

You sure that's not just TumTum telling Sessions to go fuck himself?

If Trump gets behind something, Sessions will be gonzo. I fully support this. Drain that fucking swamp like you said and stop filling it with this knob heads. Sessions is a fucking idiot with zero understanding of other human beings. He needs to just fuck off in general. Just like my entire state needs to fuck off. Kansas, you fucking suck ass. all of you fucking assholes need to shove you fucking ideals straight up your asses and shit them out and feed the shit to your mother so that she can shit it out and then feed it to your kids who will in turn shit it out for you to eat and shit once again.

hah
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby dubkitty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:40 pm

comparing OWS and UTR is the fucking height of both-sides-ism. the two could not have been farther apart. i did not love OWS because that type of tactic is singularly ineffective, but their problems were all to do with the fact that the "organizers" had no mandate to kick anyone off the site. naturally, this created an attrractive nuisance for addicts, rapers, dysfunctional homeless persons, etc. UTR, otoh, was planned as a violent event from the outset. all those people didn't just coincidentally show up with torches, shields, helmets, and weapons.

to me, the "problems" of the American Left are:

they aren't particularly "left" at all. in Europe the Democrats would be seen as center-right.
they're not organized enough. the GOP has weaponized every aspect of political discourse, and the Dems are still trying to play by Marquis of Queensberry rules.
they aren't in-your-face enough. i quite like the slogan "make racists afraid again."
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Jwar wrote:
Sonaboy wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-to-unveil-federal-cannabis-reform-very-soon-says-gop-lawmaker
Man, Trump's pulling all the stops to make sure the election falls in the GOP's favor.

You sure that's not just TumTum telling Sessions to go fuck himself?

If Trump gets behind something, Sessions will be gonzo. I fully support this. Drain that fucking swamp like you said and stop filling it with this knob heads. Sessions is a fucking idiot with zero understanding of other human beings. He needs to just fuck off in general. Just like my entire state needs to fuck off. Kansas, you fucking suck ass. all of you fucking assholes need to shove you fucking ideals straight up your asses and shit them out and feed the shit to your mother so that she can shit it out and then feed it to your kids who will in turn shit it out for you to eat and shit once again.

hah

Maybe the actual idea behind this whole drain the swamp idea is to make things so bad that the country explodes into chaos and anyone with affiliation with either party get their head removed? :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:40 pm

this whole Elizabeth Warren thing is mega lame.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 pm

not to mention mega irrelevant. is she really that serious of a 2020 contender?

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm

If not her, than who? :snax:

(I also "like" it that he said she's of "Indian heritage" and "sometimes referred to as Pocahontas".)
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Seems that liberal Texans are thinking Beto might be. :idk:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

i think Beto's promised to serve out his term if elected, no?

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 pm

dubkitty wrote:i think Beto's promised to serve out his term if elected, no?

I think the odds of him getting elected are still....not nearly as high as people living in Austin want you to think they are.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
dubkitty wrote:i think Beto's promised to serve out his term if elected, no?

I think the odds of him getting elected are still....not nearly as high as people living in Austin want you to think they are.

I know he's going to lose but I'll be damned if I don't vote for him. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he were floated as a Presidential frontrunner come 2020, especially now that Warren fucked herself with that DNA test and the Dems don't have anyone else to unite their (often at-odds) factions.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 pm

D.o.S. wrote:this whole Elizabeth Warren thing is mega lame.

I'm married to a native american. She's just your garden variety left leaning moderate, but her brother is completely involved in tribal culture and here's what he had to say about it:
NO ONE in tribal culture gives a shit if some white lady got smeared with a cultural slur.
I mean, some people care a LITTLE because TumTum did the smearing, but there is no one who would race to the side of Warren to defend anything else about her. At best she just used the lineage as a way to stand out in a crowded field of legal amateurs building their resumes.
At worst, she used the assumed lineage to gain money or opportunity reserved for native families needing some opportunity to overcome some institutionalized racism to progress in their academic and professional careers. It may have not been on the record, but is much of anyone's interpersonal hustle? That means that her opportunism created a hardship for others who really needed the chance. So my brother-in-law sez, "FUCK THAT." and so do a lot of his friends.

She's also faltering because she's trying to turn this stupid political spat into some sort of new advantage, when all it does it answer a question everyone already knows the answer to; Trump lies for momentary advantage and distraction. There's nothing new to be learned or gained from this, aside from Warren's political currency being elevated. She never worked for tribal issues before, she claims not to be attempting to join a tribe now, so all she's doing is making herself the story.

I like her, for the most part, but this series of terrible judgments makes me worried about her effectiveness and future.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Shitty optics, for sure. Plus being 6 generations removed (at best) gives our Dorito Loco in Chief just enough credit to say he was right, which doesn't do anyone any favors and worsens her optics and judgement.

I almost want Beto to lose in November since he's really starting to look like our best chance in 2020.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 am

Sonaboy wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:this whole Elizabeth Warren thing is mega lame.

I'm married to a native american. She's just your garden variety left leaning moderate, but her brother is completely involved in tribal culture and here's what he had to say about it:
NO ONE in tribal culture gives a shit if some white lady got smeared with a cultural slur.
I mean, some people care a LITTLE because TumTum did the smearing, but there is no one who would race to the side of Warren to defend anything else about her. At best she just used the lineage as a way to stand out in a crowded field of legal amateurs building their resumes.
At worst, she used the assumed lineage to gain money or opportunity reserved for native families needing some opportunity to overcome some institutionalized racism to progress in their academic and professional careers. It may have not been on the record, but is much of anyone's interpersonal hustle? That means that her opportunism created a hardship for others who really needed the chance. So my brother-in-law sez, "FUCK THAT." and so do a lot of his friends.

She's also faltering because she's trying to turn this stupid political spat into some sort of new advantage, when all it does it answer a question everyone already knows the answer to; Trump lies for momentary advantage and distraction. There's nothing new to be learned or gained from this, aside from Warren's political currency being elevated. She never worked for tribal issues before, she claims not to be attempting to join a tribe now, so all she's doing is making herself the story.

I like her, for the most part, but this series of terrible judgments makes me worried about her effectiveness and future.

I agree with you and your brother in law.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion