What are you cooking?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you cooking?

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Sonaboy wrote:
PeteeBee wrote:
I want to get into making more flavorful bean soups to have as pretty much standalone grub, maybe with some bread.

This is something I've been meaning to dive into to save some real cash year over year - because regular bread is STOOPID CHEAP to make, and we eat a lot of locally-made loaves that are great, but none of them are something that WE MUST HAVE. We don't live in a particularly expensive area of the country, but some of our go-to breads can be $5 a loaf. We will go through nearly five loaves a month.
So turns out we're dumb, trendy AND lazy.

I think about this all the time! Bread seems so easy once you get the hang of it, and legit bread is so much better than the cheap stuff, not only in flavor but in nutritional content as well, as I understand. I'd like to start making loaves over the summer, but that probably won't happen :lol:
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Sonaboy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm

My wife already has a lockdown on Focaccia bread, pizza crust and banana bread, so you would think that spreading out into other types would be pretty simple.
Sourdough was difficult because it needs about 56-72 hour starter time for the yeast and it didn't seem right to us when we checked it.
We'll get it though, because that's my favorite and if I learn how to make it, it'll be all over our counters.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Bassist_Diver » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 pm

IME sourdough works best when you use 1/2 all-purpose flour, 1/2 whole wheat flour in the starter and 1/3 wheat flour, 2/3 all-purpose in the dough.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby the_carl » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:53 am

I'm still figuring out sourdough/bread in general but I really like using a dutch oven. This was my latest loaf:

Starting a sourdough culture got me into fermented foods in general. I've made some pretty good hot sauce and my current counter ferment is a mix of red cabbage, jalapenos, carrots, and garlic.

the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:24 am

those both look awesome! I made a batch of this hot sauce last week and I'm putting it on everything now:

http://www.husbandsthatcook.com/2016/08/pique-sauce/

apologies for the lame blog. The restaraunt "sol food" is a local favorite. This was the first thing that came up when I looked for a recipe similar to their sauce.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am

I ferment a fair amount of stuff, kim-chi sauerkraut, kombucha.. I don't usually use red cabbage because it's turned grey on me. Let me know how yours turns out.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:11 pm

the_carl wrote:I'm still figuring out sourdough/bread in general but I really like using a dutch oven. This was my latest loaf:

Starting a sourdough culture got me into fermented foods in general. I've made some pretty good hot sauce and my current counter ferment is a mix of red cabbage, jalapenos, carrots, and garlic.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I've also been doing a lot of fermenting recently.

The best ferment I've made in a while is butternut squash! It's so delightfully tangy.

But a pot of cabbage and one with some variation of carrots/turnip/etc with garlic, ginger, chillies is always bubbling away.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Achtane » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:07 pm

I made some chicken adobo over jasmine rice, but I let it cook down a little too long so there's not enough sauce...
Still good though. Especially for a first try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 am

Found some fresh (!) cranberry beans yesterday, so I cooked those up while baking sweet potatoes. Made a little roasted bell pepper salsa too.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Achtane wrote:I made some chicken adobo over jasmine rice, but I let it cook down a little too long so there's not enough sauce...
Still good though. Especially for a first try.

Adobo + Jasmine :drool: :love:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am

Did the classic lemon and basil chicken last night with Jasmine and steamed cauliflower. It was a real treat
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 am

the_carl wrote:I'm still figuring out sourdough/bread in general but I really like using a dutch oven. This was my latest loaf:

Whoa - that is an excellent specimen right there!
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby the_carl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Sonaboy wrote:Whoa - that is an excellent specimen right there!

Thanks! I do a variation of one of this guy's high-altitude recipes: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/

BetterOffShred wrote:I ferment a fair amount of stuff, kim-chi sauerkraut, kombucha.. I don't usually use red cabbage because it's turned grey on me. Let me know how yours turns out.

This is the second time I've done red cabbage and I've liked it a lot both times. Hasn't turned grey but I also only let them sit 1-2 weeks, which I gather is on the short side of what people usually do.
the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:41 am

I ferment red cabbage often (perhaps more than anything else because I think it's particularly tasty) and it doesn't go bad more or less than anything else. I'm sure your problem would have been all accident. :)
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:01 am

I'll give it another whack. I got some collard greens for my next batch of Kimchi .. I had some in New Orleans and it was amaze.

I also started steaming my cauliflower differnt.. I cut the whole thing in half like an onion (along the stem axis) and then cut that into slabs.. so you get a cauliflower "steak" instead of the separated bunches .. nothing wrong with the other method. Just thought it was interesting.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion