Hobbyist Woodworking/Chippys

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Hobbyist Woodworking/Chippys

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 am

ryan summit wrote:im guessin they wasted alot of time and money
tryin to save a buck with the garbage as well

Actually not really for me :lol: I have a degree in boat building so I sat through lectures on tools and tool care and tool choosing, and getting to learn on large power tools that are around 100 years old, that stuff is sick powerful! and then for the last 6-7 years I've worked in a wood shop that build trip out stuff for all the major high volume builders in western Washington.. Thankfully though… I'm done with it all :thumb: I got moved to the office and am being trained as a estimator now :thumb:
Last edited by Mudfuzz on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:05 am

Chankgeez wrote:here's my contribution to this thread:

Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 am

Mudfuzz wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:here's my contribution to this thread:

Nice.

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby misterstomach » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:02 pm

ryan summit wrote:wow
mudfuzz and stomach nailed it
always refer to those 2 posts when purchasing
even the brands they shouted out
these dudes know whats up
im guessin they wasted alot of time and money

and mr.tummy
im goin on 5 years now with my white makita
i did have to get the impact gun as well though
that thing is a time/wrist/annoyance/strippedhead saver
and that lil light still freakin works

if i could only get back all the time and money i've wasted in my life in an effort to save time and money...
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 am

I'm slowly collecting woodworking tools, mostly for projects around the house. My house is almost 100 years old, so I have no shortage of things to do.

I have just started getting some bigger stuff. So far, I have bought a nice Dewalt miter saw, and a decent Craftsman router/table, both brand new. A few months back, I garbage picked a Ridgid thickness planer that works perfectly. All I had to do was flip the blades around, and I had a $350 planer.

Just today, I picked up a drill press. I didn't want to spend what a nice one costs brand new, and the little presses sold locally didn't seem to be very accurate, durable, or repairable. After weeks of searching pawn shops and Craigslist, I found one only about 30 miles away. I negotiated it to $125, including the cart, which seems like a fair price:

I think I have everything I need now to make pickguards, and to make a lap steel. Should be fun and easy. I was going to start tomorrow, but I get to play plumber and figure out why my sewer line backs up every time the washing machine drains.

I plan on recreating my house's door trim on a couple of modern doors that were installed before we bought the place. I plan on replacing my kitchen cabinet doors, and building some night stands. A longer term plan is to finish off my bedroom closet, which is a former porch (10'x12') that still has an outdoor light and the original exterior wood siding. Classy.

By the way, does anyone have experience with clamps like these for getting nice cuts with circular saws? I was thinking that for $40, I could avoid having to get a table saw for a while.

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby ryan summit » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:24 am

Mudfuzz wrote:

Actually not really for me :lol: I have a degree in boat building so I sat through lectures on tools and tool care and tool choosing, and getting to learn on large power tools that are around 100 years old, that stuff is sick powerful! and then for the last 6-7 years I've worked in a wood shop that build trip out stuff for all the major high volume builders in western Washington.. Thankfully though… I'm done with it all :thumb: I got moved to the office and am being trained as a estimator now :thumb:

oh wow
so awesome
i use to be addicted to another forum (my ex?)
contactor talk
its essentially TGP for tools
alot of job assistance threads as well as tool gas
really helpful if your tryin to decide what to buy
and if you need ideas how to box out hack plumbing nightmares
festool=klon and whatnot
anyway there were threads dedicated to old equipment restoring
im tryin to think of that one company
big old green bandsaws with 3' diameter flywheels
i envy your experience mudfuzz
i always thought working with a boat builder
would broaden my skillset to solve problems in a linear/level world
should we start posting pictures of our workshops yet?

and thats so dope mike
drill press and bandsaw are next for me

this is the tool subforum on contractor talk
http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/
if you have issues buying to much shit cause of ILF
you do not need this in your life as well
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tuffteef » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:

i didnt even know you could get a boat building degree
you continue to surprise me aaron :group:
jus a regular dc mountain man
tuffteef

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm

tuffteef wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:

i didnt even know you could get a boat building degree
you continue to surprise me aaron :group:
jus a regular dc mountain man

It's only a AAS but :thumb: :lol: :idk:
http://www.seattlecentral.edu/wp/woodte ... carpentry/ It was a LOT of fun :thumb:
There are actually three boat building schools in the puget sound area, Seattle, Port Townsend area and Tacoma [which has a very bad rap] that I know of :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Antique store score! hand drill and a slick! the slick needs a lot of work but it was $5.00 :thumb: I gott'a get the paint off to actually see what it is :hobbes:
Attachments
DSC05616.JPG
DSC05616.JPG (114.84 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:42 pm

a bit of cleaning up later..
Attachments
DSC05619.JPG
DSC05619.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Achtane » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Dude I LOVE those old drills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Achtane wrote:Dude I LOVE those old drills.

It is cool! there is a hidden compartment in the handle [rosewood!] and it works pretty ok, I just need to take it apart and clean and grease it, also it is missing the side knob, but the threading for it is pretty standard so I'm thinking about finding a old awl of hand plan knob to replace it :thumb: I love old hand tools, much more than power tools, and of late I've been wanting to put together a really good setup, I already have a bunch of cool chisels and planes [I need a few bigger ones and some REALLY small ones though], I also got a nice Husqvarna carpenter's axe which came sharps is cuts really well :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Achtane » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 pm

I once saw an old-ass screwdriver that worked like one of those drills, but instead of rotating the handle, you pumped it like a piston and it made the collet turn. Awesome.
It's entertaining to think about how stuff was made before electric/pneumatic tools became the norm. Certainly a lot more effort involved.

Is that slick just a big-ass chisel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Achtane wrote:Is that slick just a big-ass chisel?

Sort'a… a slick is a chisel the size of a small shovel [this one is a small one at 2.5" wide… ] they are used for traditional boatbuilding and timber framing. In boat/ship building in the right hands can be a ultimate tool… can use it for planing, mortising, splitting, chiseling, shaving things, removing paint and stuff, gauging and "plug slicking" :lol: sadly most that you find are like the one here where some ass thought it was for splitting firewood…
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:29 pm

sure I could have gotten a electric one… but what's the fun in that…

Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Previous

Return to General Discussion