Do you folks like coffee?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Do you folks like coffee?

Postby ck3 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Aeropress coffee is, indeed, good coffee. The initial test run had to be delayed due to a stomach virus last week. I successfully brewed up some freshly hand-ground Nicoletti espresso beans for myself and the missus earlier today, and we're very pleased with the results. What brands of espresso beans do more experienced ILF coffee aficionados prefer?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:58 pm

I drank too much coffee today - as in to the point that I was shaking, became extremely existential, panicky, and super jumpy. AKA enough to mimic cocaine.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:02 pm

Bassist_Diver wrote:I drank too much coffee today - as in to the point that I was shaking, became extremely existential, panicky, and super jumpy. AKA enough to mimic cocaine.

When I drink too much coffee I just get sleepy. It feels like I've depleted my supply of stimulants, which just leaves me groggy.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby pigmaker » Sat May 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Lurker13 wrote:
Bassist_Diver wrote:I drank too much coffee today - as in to the point that I was shaking, became extremely existential, panicky, and super jumpy. AKA enough to mimic cocaine.

When I drink too much coffee I just get sleepy. It feels like I've depleted my supply of stimulants, which just leaves me groggy.

read an article a few years back about coffee. things i remember, which might not be completely accurate of course, are that coffee is best consumed for its stimulant effect not first thing in the morning, but instead mid-morning.
coffee creates a chemical in the brain that blocks the tired feeling.
your brain naturally creates this chemical after you wake for such and such period of time, until mid morning.
the caffeine effect of blocking the tired feeling chemical only has so much staying power, then you crash.

i'm def familiar with the feeling of getting sleepy after drinking a shitload of coffee, as a person who tries to stay up for 2-3 days at a time sometime, without using drugs (which would make it easy, let's keep it real)

like a trendy bitch i'm doing keto, drinking bulletproof coffee to break my daily fast (fasting not a necessary part of keto but you probably know that already)
i dont load it up as heavy as is recommended online (which is like 1-2 Tbsp grass fed butter and 2 tsp-1T coconut oil or snake oil overpriced analog)
but holy shit man it is a rush beyond standard coffee
it probably helps that i am drinking it before putting anything else in my stomach after a daily 16 hour fast

it would probably be really awesome if i wasnt using a drip machine and pre-ground seattle's best like a basic bitch :picard: :picard: :picard:

oh, one more thing i wanted to note.
like i said, sometimes i stay up for 2-3 days at a time.
so of course, i get caffeine from lots of places other than coffee.
and i can say, at least for me, that coffee is not the same as energy drinks, soda, whatever, when it comes to the caffeine and its effect.
when i don't drink coffee for a few days, the sense of well-being benefit i get from coffee is gone. this may be unique to me.
i don't have to drink much, but when i drink coffee regularly, i get a subtle yet important sense of well being on a daily basis. and it's not just after drinking my morning cup or whatever, it's an ever-present thing.
so i would assume there's probably some other chemical composition that occurs naturally in a coffee bean that does something beyond simply caffeine
http://mathewriley.com
Want:; EFE Dope Priest Particle Series '77/Standard .... Malekko ID-600 Bright or Dark

good deals with: shikawkee, worra, chatmatt, Brobee, behndy, fever606, space6oy, V___, crayola64, emanux, Chaosmic, hbombgraphics

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
pigmaker

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Sat May 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Note from my cold-brewing experiments:

“Blooming” the grounds—getting them wet with no dry pockets—is essential. No joke when they tell you to do that. So slightly less easy of a brewing method. Still not bad.

As solid as Bustello is, the premium version is noticeably better. Makes me interested in how good really good coffee would cold brew since I am disappointed in my French-pressed higher end brew in comparison.

Premium Bustello does not come in “Party Size!” tubs like basic yellow. So I’m having a Party! for now and may revisit quality later.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 pm

I drip brewed some fresh ground Lavazza super crema espresso roast for the missus and myself this evening, and it's not too shabby.

Aeropress experiments continue with an alternating pattern of using Nicoletti, Lavazza, and Starbucks espresso beans. The last of the three seems kind of salty, and the first two are superb.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Nepal Newa coffee is amazing. I thought the proprietor who sold it to me may have PT Barnumed my ass, but it turns out there really are unique brown sugar notes that make it distinct from other varieties.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm

I got an Aeropress and I haven't used my drip maker in a week. It's the shit.
Still use the moka pot for my work thermos though.
I can make aeropress coffee and drink it black without wrecking my stomach!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:57 pm

I've discovered a new one, and it is a super smooth dark roast - Trader Joe's Shade Grown Ground Espresso Blend. I recommend it highly.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Does anyone else recycle yesterday's coffee? every now and then if I have half a french press worth left over from the day before I add water heat up and put back through the french press with fresh grounds :)*
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:Does anyone else recycle yesterday's coffee? every now and then if I have half a french press worth left over from the day before I add water heat up and put back through the french press with fresh grounds :)*

Bro... all day everyday! I call them stews.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Is that not a bit bland/bitter/awful in some other way?
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Is that not a bit bland/bitter/awful in some other way?

Can't speak for Blackened Soul but... I'm into it. A lot of things that brewers say, "Not to do." I do. For example, the French Press, I grind the beans fine, I over steep. I don't know. I don't get expensive coffee any more because of it, cause I seem to like sludge.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Is that not a bit bland/bitter/awful in some other way?

Can't speak for Blackened Soul but... I'm into it. A lot of things that brewers say, "Not to do." I do. For example, the French Press, I grind the beans fine, I over steep.

No not bitter or bland. It's not my fave but it's good for a groggy morning. I do the same with a french press, finer grind, like to leave it for 10 min before pressing. I find it less bland/bitter/awful than what the coffee nazies tell you to do.... I don't like light roast coffee and I don't like pourover [even though I have it most week days because time] My all time favorite [non espresso] is siphon... I got a new larger pot but am having filter issues and am experimenting...

$harkToootth wrote:I don't know. I don't get expensive coffee any more because of it, cause I seem to like sludge.

I like good sludge :lol: but time.. so most of the time I get Javatopia french roast or Medaglia D'Oro in a pinch.. :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:16 pm

I tried hard to like pour over but it always tastes so lifeless to me (I'm probably doing something wrong, sure, but that does not explain when I go to places and get pour over :idk: ).
I just made some cold brew. I don't even put the grinds in the filter bag thing anymore :idk: . Just let them sit and when I pour it... I get grinds in my teeth. No big deal.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion