Let's see your BICYCLE!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your BICYCLE!

Postby repoman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 pm

ThurberMingus wrote:Image

This bike is basically the reason I have been on ilf for a while. I’m rebuilding the rear wheel with the matching (to the front) rim later this week.

The short version is that this is my deep-custom 650b ~’94 Paramount Series 60. It’s the best bike in the world.

that thing is sick
did they have disc brakes back in the early 90s or did you add posts for them?
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ThurberMingus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 am

The fork is aftermarket (Soma Low Trail Disc) and I work with a guy who builds frames. He brazed on the rear disc tab for a cool $40.

I just got my new rear hub yesterday, so I’ll be building up the matching rear wheel hopefully tonight, if not sometime over the weekend.
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 am

IIRC disc brakes weren't a thing until around 1997 or 98. when i bought my Klein mb in 1996 everything was still regular old pull brakes. personally, i never saw the point in disc brakes since i can already launch myself over the bars just fine with old-school brakes, and they seem like an obvious fail point that you can't fix while away from home. i can jerry-rig a fix on regular brakes, but good luck doing that with discs.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am

Yeah they aren't really necessary. I have them because I bought a new bike in like 2005, but they don't work any better than the old rim brakes for sure
This thread has given me GAS to get my bike back from my dad's house and go on a ride this weekend maybe! :joy:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 am

dubkitty wrote:IIRC disc brakes weren't a thing until around 1997 or 98. when i bought my Klein mb in 1996 everything was still regular old pull brakes. personally, i never saw the point in disc brakes since i can already launch myself over the bars just fine with old-school brakes, and they seem like an obvious fail point that you can't fix while away from home. i can jerry-rig a fix on regular brakes, but good luck doing that with discs.

I actually hate disc brakes at this point. The brakes on my mountain bike somehow got contaminated, I lost almost all my brake power and they squealed like mad. So I replaced the pads and cleaned the discs. Road it twice. Contaminated again. I just want the simplicity of rim brakes back.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Hydro disk brakes are far superior to every other brake. Fact.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 pm

cantis baby
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Ahh, the good old days.

Vintage MTBs like Thurber has are great for cruising around (been building and riding those as commuters for years), but I'll take a modern bike with wet discs, slack HT, longer front center, taller stack, and a dropper post any day off road. Especially after riding old XC bikes on trails back in the day. MTB evolution has been fantastic (mostly).
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:31 am

:cool:
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:50 am

I transferred all the stuff I had on this cheapo Chinese carbon CX frame to this Soma a couple weeks ago, I'm actually not sure if I like it. I want to throw some racks on it and start bike camping/touring and stuff but the frame actually doesn't ride as nice as the cheap Chinese CX frame I had, and its also surprisingly kind of twitchy in handling. :idk:
It's not horrible, its still a good frame but kind of not living up to reputations I've read about Wolverines from reviews, I mean you'd think a frame made for touring/gravel would be really comfy and handle nice and lazy, but this thing is less comfortable with 32mm tires than my aluminum CAAD12 is on 28mms, and it's twitchier. :grumpy:
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 am

I bet when you load it down with some bags and racks it'll be less twitchy.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:26 pm

repoman wrote:

cantis baby

What even is going on here? This looks incredible. I used race downhill skateboards and this reminds me of "the good ol' days" of downhill skateboarding. By that I mean now everyone is incredibly good and I can't keep up :lol:

For nastalgia sake, I'm in this around the :40 mark.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue May 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Check out the color of dude's bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0JGypiuotc

:love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby samzadgan » Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 pm

repoman wrote:Image
I transferred all the stuff I had on this cheapo Chinese carbon CX frame to this Soma a couple weeks ago, I'm actually not sure if I like it. I want to throw some racks on it and start bike camping/touring and stuff but the frame actually doesn't ride as nice as the cheap Chinese CX frame I had, and its also surprisingly kind of twitchy in handling. :idk:
It's not horrible, its still a good frame but kind of not living up to reputations I've read about Wolverines from reviews, I mean you'd think a frame made for touring/gravel would be really comfy and handle nice and lazy, but this thing is less comfortable with 32mm tires than my aluminum CAAD12 is on 28mms, and it's twitchier. :grumpy:

That’s really interesting to hear...I always though that SOMA stuff was over engineered...to hear its twitchy and not comfy is not good!
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Anyone on here do any bikepacking? I’ve been loving riding my bike about, and I love backpacking. Seems like a great combo of two things I love. The thing I’m nervous about is my lack of mountain bike skills (I’ve never even tried it) but it seems bikepacking is mostly about riding dirt trails that don’t require any intense skills. Kind of like how you don’t need to know how to rock climb to go hiking...
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion