· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: The Health, Wellness, weight loss, and fitness thread

Tue May 30, 2017 12:45 pm

So I finished up my program a week earlier than I thought I would. I just could not mentally or physically do it anymore. I ended with a 315 squat x 20 reps. So that's pretty damn good for me. I wasn't doing it for the numbers anyway, I just wanted to do something different.

I'm now starting a weight drop program. Cleaning up my eating and starting to lift a bit different. I've dropped 5 lbs of water so far. It comes off quick for me, so I actually need to make sure I'm not dropping too fast. It's kind of a juggling act. I'm an easy gainer and I lose fat and muscle easy. I tend to hang onto a lot of muscle but you're going to lose some not matter what you do.

Anyway, I hate this grind, but I'll feel better in a few weeks.

Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Did you do 5/3/1? That rep scheme reminds me of that.
*Nevermind, saw your other post. My squat is embarrassing compared to my other lifts so I think I'll give that program a go. Thanks Bro!

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Question: talk to me about the downsides of having a really repetitive workout. Are any dangers something I can avoid by thorough stretching?

My situation is that I’ve been feeling like a clubby hunk of goo lately, but I’m all the way maximum busy. I prefer to just go for runs and do some ab stuff to stay slim, but I just can’t make the time. I’ve been doing burpees (sp?) in the garage and it seems to be working, but I want to make sure I’m not screwing myself by the lack of variety.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:42 am

You plateau and your body becomes used to it, and it no longer causes your body to respond. Interval training is the new black for goo-reduction. Look up a few HIIT vids on YouTube.. That shit works and as long as you kind of rotate around what you're doing, and don't eat McDonald's 3 meals a day and drink a 2 liter of soda solo.. you should see results.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am

BetterOffShred wrote:You plateau and your body becomes used to it, and it no longer causes your body to respond. Interval training is the new black for goo-reduction. Look up a few HIIT vids on YouTube.. That shit works and as long as you kind of rotate around what you're doing, and don't eat McDonald's 3 meals a day and drink a 2 liter of soda solo.. you should see results.

Oh cool. Thanks for the rec! That looks perfect.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Yeah man throw in a couple heavy lifts and you'll really be cranking

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Bumping this bad boy up!
I have a ton of fitness related questions, and there are a handful of people on here who seem really knowledgeable.

First, my current routine, pretty much basic bodyweight stuff. I don't have any weights and I'm pretty partial to the idea of doing bodyweight stuff. IDK why exactly, but it really appeals to me. So here's what I'm doing:

Pushups
Bicycle Crunches
Single Leg Squats (right leg)
Side Plank (right side)
Dips
Another ab exercise, don't know the name
Single Leg Squats (left leg)
Side Plank (left side)

My wife is getting me a pull-up bar for Christmas, per my request. Once I get that involved, any major muscle groups I'm missing? I'm also running, cycling, and swimming, in different combinations but doing some sort of cardio about 5 or 6 times a week. I want to work towards L Sits, Front Hinge, and Front Levers, but I need to build up some fitness first.

It's kind of weird doing all this stuff, as I haven't been this active since high school, but the more I've been doing the better my quality of life has been, so I'm just going to keep going with it, try to find that sweet spot. I started out just trying to get more strength for swimming, but now that I can see some muscles happening, I'm getting more into this beyond its benefits for my other stuff.

Sorry for the long post, any tips or ideas or recommendations appreciated!

Edit: Also, I've lost 30lbs already. Pretty pumped about that. Down from 235 (or more) to about 200. My original goal was to get to 190, but that was before I started doing strength training. Not sure if I have a goal weight anymore :idk:

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Kinda random post, but alas: I finally got to a 60kg curl today, has long been a goal of mine. As the insta post says, I've been back in the gym since early September. Lost around 15kg last time I checked, but I don't really weigh myself anymore cause gainz. Can also do real pullups now, for the first time ever, which is big time yay.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BroPqs7H4p7/ (curl is in the second slide).

Also, Peter, from what I can see you're missing lower back (good morning exercise could work for that, if you're sticking to bodyweight), traps and some direct bicep work. Some hip thrusts or glute bridges would prolly be a great addition as well. I've seriously underestimated the importance of having strong glutes up until recently.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Way to go, guys!

I, too, have climbed aboard the Get In Shape Express. I don't have room inside my house for a weight bench and a barbell, so I bought some dumbbells. I did this lower body workout a little while ago, and it hurt pretty good, so I'm going to try to keep this up. I just need to remember to work in some crunches on lower body days.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:41 pm

I just ordered one of these little puppies for when sitting at the computer, which I do way too much of. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Anyone into mushroom powder? My father recently sold me on the idea of incorporating a Chaga, Reishi, etc supplement into my diet. Have results regarding energy, alertness, and cognition been noticeable to others who have partaken of said shrooms?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:05 pm

This guy seems very intelligent and well-informed. In some of his videos, he even quotes peer reviewed medical journals. Here is his take on various protein powders.

I'm trying to lose weight, so apparently I need to stop using whey.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

started taking CBD tincture a couple of weeks ago & my sciatica's almost a non-issue now. Been sleeping good, too. Also been doing the Wim Hof breathing. Pretty relaxed these days.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 pm

A couple of weeks ago I added this routine to my workout on lower body day. Except for the jumping jacks at the end, I can't keep up with this guy for the full 45 seconds of each exercise yet, but I'm working on it.

I've lost 35 pounds since the beginning of the year, I'm down one shirt size and one pant size. :yay: But I'm still kind of flabby, I could stand to lose another 25 pounds or so.

So how is everybody else doing?

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Did any one else follow Stephanie Buttermore's "All in" saga? I know most people here are male (and I am technically too I guess :idk: :animal: ) but regardless, the science behind it is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFdfOPLblyw

I've been listening to the Elite Fitness table talks recently too. They sort of transcend power lifting and talk about improvement of other facets of life.
Post a reply