· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: What are you reading?

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Finally read Rip It Up And Start Again - pretty much skimmed the last quarter, Reynolds spent way too much time on top-40 synthpop and U2 to give The Birthday Party three paragraphs and only refer to the Cure dismissively.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:06 am

"The Wall" by John Lanchester was good -- sorta like 1984 at first

I really liked "Circe" which is a new novel about Circe. It's like a really good miniseries.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:46 pm

11/22/63 - been a decade-plus since I read any King, really into it so far but I'm dreading the likelihood of the last third being a disaster.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Just finished The Man Who Was Thursday, just started this

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Learning more about sommeliers and the senses of taste and smell than I thought. I also learned more than enough to know I never want to be a certified sommelier.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:36 pm

What percentage of books you read on the recommendation of friends do you wind up enjoying?

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:49 pm

My friend group has pretty diverse and firm interests so I don't get (or give) a lot of recommendations but when it happens they're pretty spot on.

I do keep copies of one book to give to new people to see if I can traumatize them - the three Andre Dubus novellas collected as "We Don't Live Here Anymore."

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:44 am

repoman wrote:What percentage of books you read on the recommendation of friends do you wind up enjoying?

100%!! Lucky me.

I think this is simply because only the friends that have a good handle on my reading tastes recommend books to me.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 am

I'm currently reading Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite. If you ever want something that will challenge you mentally, physically, and spiritually (haha) this is it. Super fucked up book that has a twisted romantic edge to it. It's extremely sad as well as it highlights just how hard life was as a homosexual male in the 90's (which is something I think a lot of readers kind of missed the point on).

It's a hard read but I haven't been able to put it down. Only two chapters left.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:30 am

jirodreamsofdank wrote:11/22/63 - been a decade-plus since I read any King, really into it so far but I'm dreading the likelihood of the last third being a disaster.

No spoilers.

I really enjoyed 2/3 of this book and didn’t understand why the other 1/3 was included. It doesn’t even really matter which third you choose. You could just pick one, remove it, slap the other two together and be good to go.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Started this

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:47 pm

Media Virus by Douglas Rushkoff:

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:54 pm

repoman wrote:What percentage of books you read on the recommendation of friends do you wind up enjoying?

Probably like.. 10%.. in fairness after about 1 or 2 chapters if I'm not digging what I'm reading, it's over.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Started The Dead Zone, got to a 1975 Stephen King description of bondage/sex, deleted it from my Kindle.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:16 pm

It's like how I feel when I picture George R R R^4 Martin writing all the rape shit in game of thrones. Pass
Post a reply