What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby phantasmagorovich » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 am

MrNovember wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:I've only read 'Breakfast of Champions' by Vonnegut, but I thought it was brilliant. Which of his other books have you read, and what would you recommend, greyscales?

I've read Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five, and the Sirens of Titan. All of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I have Galapagos that I need to get around to reading some time

Galapagos is a little different in tone, but actually my favorite from the ones I've read.

Have I ever mentioned that Ross Thomas rules?
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby futuresailors » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 am

Iommic Pope wrote:
odontophobia wrote:Vonnegut really got me into reading. I really teeter more towards Fantasy/Sci-Fi these days because I don't watch much TV and I get a lot of enjoyment from that particular style. That said, I love my literary fiction like any asshole with a liberal arts based degree. Vonnegut ranks up there with the best of them.

:thumb:

:thumb:
Kurt had a great little article a while ago about how to write. And how to effectively tell people Shakespeare can eat a dick.

I've had the new Murakami sitting on my HD for a while and have been too lazy to upload it to my kindle. Started Ballard's Highrise instead. Architecture is fairly prominent in most of his stuff, so it should be a goody.

Also, anyone read Distrust that Particular Flavor? Decent variety or does it get repetitive?
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:06 am

I'm intrigued about the book Catcher in the Rye. It seems like a commonly read book over in the U.S. I don't know what it's about, but I just wanna read it for some reason. Opinions! Is it worth a read?
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby phantasmagorovich » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 am

KaosCill8r wrote:I'm intrigued about the book Catcher in the Rye. It seems like a commonly read book over in the U.S. I don't know what it's about, but I just wanna read it for some reason. Opinions! Is it worth a read?

Only if you are in either the midlife crisis or puberty. It is REALLY good if you are though.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 am

Put me in the midlife crisis category.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby futuresailors » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:23 am

KaosCill8r wrote:I'm intrigued about the book Catcher in the Rye. It seems like a commonly read book over in the U.S. I don't know what it's about, but I just wanna read it for some reason. Opinions! Is it worth a read?

It's about a pretentious rich kid trying to get laid...
Phanta summed up the audience pretty well though (didn't like it when I was in puberty). :lol:
Perks of Being a Wallflower is the contemporary equivalent if you're feeling angsty.
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby phantasmagorovich » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 am

I'm not sure about mid-life crisis, haven't gone through it myself. But if you are feeling like puberty, like the phonies are messing up the world and want to get laid, then it might be the book for you.

I did not like perks of … at all. Salinger on the other hand was great when I was 20 and I once read it again and felt warmed by nostalgia.

Speaking of which, the german equivalent would be Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf. Does anyone ever read that in your parts of the world?
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:04 pm

phantasmagorovich wrote:I'm not sure about mid-life crisis, haven't gone through it myself. But if you are feeling like puberty, like the phonies are messing up the world and want to get laid, then it might be the book for you.

I did not like perks of … at all. Salinger on the other hand was great when I was 20 and I once read it again and felt warmed by nostalgia.

Speaking of which, the german equivalent would be Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf. Does anyone ever read that in your parts of the world?

I'm a long long way past puberty, but I do still feel like the phonies are messing up the world. Always have. And I have a missus so getting laid isn't a problem.
The band Steppenwolf I know. Never heard of the book, but that doesn't mean it's not read in my neck of the woods.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goosekevin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:36 am

i dug catcher in the rye when i read it, good teen/ya book

i have been reading for pleasure for the first time in a couple of years lately
finished the a song of ice and fire series, gone girl and now im reading 'the man who couldnt stop' which is non-ficiton, kind of autobiographical account of OCD - very well written and interesting
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 am

phantasmagorovich wrote:

Steppenwolf is great.
Hesse is fucking badass man. My fave is Narziss Und Goldmund. Plague, artistry, life on the road, medieval happenings.
Cool as shit.

I'm reading Beowulf right now.
So much manliness.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby phantasmagorovich » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 am

Currently reading "Abwesen" by korean-german philosopher Byung-Chul Han. It's amazing! He explains eastern philosophy (mostly buddhism & zen) through the terminology of western philosophy and by contrasting the ideas behind both. Really accessible style and little to none of the usual shrouding that is a part of most german intellectual writing. Really loving it and it inspires to pick up John Cage's "Silence" from the library. Maybe I should form an intellectual band?
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:15 am

odontophobia wrote: I really teeter more towards Fantasy/Sci-Fi these days because I don't watch much TV and I get a lot of enjoyment from that particular style. That said, I love my literary fiction like any asshole with a liberal arts based degree. Vonnegut ranks up there with the best of them.

Check out Paul Auster, In the Country of Last Things. Straddles the line between novel and novella, basically a long letter written home by someone exploring the remnants of dying metropolis.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby morange » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:27 am

Consider Phlebas, by Iain M. Banks
Good so far. Space opera.

Also, just read Ringworld, by Larry Niven. Just ok. It gets placed often in best sci-fi book lists. Try Eon by Greg Bear, or Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, for other takes on the alien space station/world theme. Eon is the best of the these three, imo.

More sci-fi!
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby phantasmagorovich » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:39 am

I loved Consider Phlebas, my fave among the Ian M Banks' I've read.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby morange » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:49 am

Sweet. Yeah this is the first I've read by him.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion