Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:08 am

Picked up "Devil in the white city".. pretty rad. Eating it up so far
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: What are you reading?

Postby dubkitty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am

JereFuzz wrote:
dubkitty wrote:haven't been reading shit lately other than Twitter and the You Must Get Them All blog which is sequentially reviewing the Fall discography, but i ordered Homage to Catalonia and The Society of the Spectacle for reading while i'm on vacation. at this point i can't really get into anything that lacks timely socio-political content.

SOS is sitting on my table, ready to be read. Seems hard/strange at first glance. Much thinking will be required. The Simulacra and Simulations by Baudrillard was great but deserves another read.

oh, yeah. it's easy to read linguistically--at least compared to the typical translations of Situationist works--but every page and a half i have to stop and assimilate what i just read. by far the most trenchant political work i've ever encountered.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:45 pm

dubkitty wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:
dubkitty wrote:haven't been reading shit lately other than Twitter and the You Must Get Them All blog which is sequentially reviewing the Fall discography, but i ordered Homage to Catalonia and The Society of the Spectacle for reading while i'm on vacation. at this point i can't really get into anything that lacks timely socio-political content.

SOS is sitting on my table, ready to be read. Seems hard/strange at first glance. Much thinking will be required. The Simulacra and Simulations by Baudrillard was great but deserves another read.

oh, yeah. it's easy to read linguistically--at least compared to the typical translations of Situationist works--but every page and a half i have to stop and assimilate what i just read. by far the most trenchant political work i've ever encountered.

I think this work could have been inspired by The Image by Boorstin, which I haven’t read. But I have it on my list. Boorstin was the one who noted the concept of pseudo-events I believe. The book was written in ‘61.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:16 pm

A few weeks ago I finished Mutual Aid by Pyotr Kropotkin and it was one of the coziest reads in a long time. Only book about politics that kan make you feel alright I reckon
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:37 pm

I quite enjoyed Devil In The White City, but like a number of commenters i found myself wishing that the whole book was about the World's Fair. it especially intrigues me because i grew up in Chicago and there's barely a trace of it today other than the Museum Of Science And Industry.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Jwar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm

I've been reading Kochland for the past two weeks. It's fascinating and insane at the same time. Charles Koch may be viewed as a monster but some of the stuff this guy accomplished is so impressive I can't stop reading. How he beat out the Union when that was almost impossible. How he has fought the Federal Government numerous times and beat them. How he took a company from his father and took it from profitable to more profitable than anyone's dreams. He is the 7th richest man on the planet. Worth 50.5 billion I believe. That's crazy. I want to know what happened in this. It's something you can read about but this is a compiled version. It's a great read.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Jwar wrote:I've been reading Kochland for the past two weeks. It's fascinating and insane at the same time. Charles Koch may be viewed as a monster but some of the stuff this guy accomplished is so impressive I can't stop reading. How he beat out the Union when that was almost impossible. How he has fought the Federal Government numerous times and beat them. How he took a company from his father and took it from profitable to more profitable than anyone's dreams. He is the 7th richest man on the planet. Worth 50.5 billion I believe. That's crazy. I want to know what happened in this. It's something you can read about but this is a compiled version. It's a great read.

I'm starting to dip into Dark Money which covers the Kochs heavily. Apparently, daddy Koch got rich building refineries for Stalin. He was so horrified by the Totalitarian Stalinist system that he swore to prevent such a system from coming the USA. Got a call from Hitler. Started building refineries for them.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 pm

JereFuzz wrote:
Jwar wrote:I've been reading Kochland for the past two weeks. It's fascinating and insane at the same time. Charles Koch may be viewed as a monster but some of the stuff this guy accomplished is so impressive I can't stop reading. How he beat out the Union when that was almost impossible. How he has fought the Federal Government numerous times and beat them. How he took a company from his father and took it from profitable to more profitable than anyone's dreams. He is the 7th richest man on the planet. Worth 50.5 billion I believe. That's crazy. I want to know what happened in this. It's something you can read about but this is a compiled version. It's a great read.

I'm starting to dip into Dark Money which covers the Kochs heavily. Apparently, daddy Koch got rich building refineries for Stalin. He was so horrified by the Totalitarian Stalinist system that he swore to prevent such a system from coming the USA. Got a call from Hitler. Started building refineries for them.

Well, at least that what the author alleges. Who knows.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Seance » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.

Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm

Seance wrote:I'm reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.

Yeah this is a great book.
Faldoe

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:07 pm

That sounds interesting.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Seance » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:45 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:That sounds interesting.

It is. Fills out some of the parts of the story that often get overlooked and
connects some of the clinical research that went on in the 1950s-1966 period
with some of the clinical research going on today.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is also worth reading.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Reading this. Very good.

Faldoe

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Wow... great stuff on this page. My brother got me the Cigar Box / Junk Guitars DIY project book for Christmas. Looking forward to diving into that.
It's not FUN. It's literally my ideal aesthetic. I just love shitty shit.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:48 am

Seance wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:That sounds interesting.

It is. Fills out some of the parts of the story that often get overlooked and
connects some of the clinical research that went on in the 1950s-1966 period
with some of the clinical research going on today.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is also worth reading.

Cool! I've read some of Michael Pollan's articles and watched a TV program and enjoyed them, so I will definitely keep an eye out for that psychedelics book, it's a fascinating subject
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion