· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: THE BEER THREAD(?)----->!!!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 am

the_carl wrote:Does there exist a beer for people who don't like bitter things? Having never actually had a beer before, I went to a bar with my sister's fiance and tried a few, and despised all of them. Guinness tasted like burnt coffee. There was some sort of IPA that was almost too bitter to finish. There was also something else that I forget what it was, but it also sucked. Some kind of double white something or other? Sooo yeah. Am I stuck with hard liquors?

That bitterness comes from beers that have been over-hopped, which is sadly the big trend in craft beers (especially American ones) the last decade or so. The other big trend that has been done to death is overly-robust stouts. Now, I certainly don't put Guinness in that category, but I could understand why you wouldn't like it.

If you're looking for a beer that isn't overly bitter or roasty, I'd recommend you get a malt-forward beer such as a Scottish Ale, a Marzen/Octoberfest, or a Double Bock. For some of my favorite examples of those styles that are not impossible to find, check out Belhaven's Scottish Ale (or St. Andrews Ale if you can find it), Paulaner's Oktoberfest/Marzen, Ayinger's Celebrator (double bock), and Troeg's Troeginator (double bock). There are better ones of each style, but you should be able to find each of those in any store with a decent beer selection.

They are all smooth, malty styles, with a hint of residual sweetness and are very lightly hopped (just enough to make them not overly sweet).

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Pulled this pic from Google but w/e, Hoptical Illusion is amazing.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 pm

I have a Trestles IPA from Left Coast Brewery I need to open up one of these nights right now. It looks damn tasty.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:06 am

i think bells is my top brewery overall. probably the best year round selection, and the seasonals are usually supoib.

recently had a Jolly Pumpkin Baudelaire Beer iO saison, and despite the edward gorey/pseudo olde timey graphics that i loath, its easily my #2 saison of all time

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:42 am

hazefuzz wrote:I'm not kiddding

HIGH FIVE DUDE! :thumb:

I love my PBR. Otherwise Old Style, Schlitz or High Life are my standard beers (notice a pattern in all of those? hint: check my location).

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm on a north peak kick. Wanderer session IPA? Fuck yeah.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:45 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... -1.1059752

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I have a bottle of La Trappe Quad and two bottles of Trappistes Rochefort 10. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Nychthemeron wrote:I have a bottle of La Trappe Quad and two bottles of Trappistes Rochefort 10. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Rochefort is so god damned amazing.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Too bad it costs so damn much. Then again I only drink about a bottle or two when I actually get something and then it just sits for a while. Had a bottle of Chimay Blue sitting in my fridge for a while before I drank it this past weekend. I know a lot of people think it's overrated but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Nychthemeron wrote:Too bad it costs so damn much. Then again I only drink about a bottle or two when I actually get something and then it just sits for a while. Had a bottle of Chimay Blue sitting in my fridge for a while before I drank it this past weekend. I know a lot of people think it's overrated but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

There isn't a Chimay I don't enjoy. It might be a little pricey for its quality, but, it's still damn good beer.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Ordered a fat tire at ruby tuesdays and got the most confused look from the waitress.
I had to point it out in the drink menu. :facepalm:

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:47 pm

foomanfat wrote:Ordered a fat tire at ruby tuesdays and got the most confused look from the waitress.
I had to point it out in the drink menu. :facepalm:

LOL drinking that tonight.

Last night I had a 6 of Evoluotion Lucky 7 Porter

I scored a couple bottles of Dogfish 75min ipa. I've only ever had that at the brewpub. That'll be tomorrow.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Caesar wrote:I scored a couple bottles of Dogfish 75min ipa. I've only ever had that at the brewpub. That'll be tomorrow.

Dogfish is awesome, you'll enjoy it for sure.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

drinking Long Trail Double Bag from the kegerator while working a night shift tonight. Love it.
Post a reply