THE BEER THREAD(?)----->!!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: THE BEER THREAD?

Postby CBA » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 am

Tom Dalton wrote:Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale
Blue Moon - Belgium White and Honey Moon
Magic Hat - Circus Boy

Yeah Tom. One of my favourite seasonal beers is Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. I always get a six-pack of that and carve a pumpkin every Smell-O-Weiner. That beer gets some shit where I live and I have no idea why. If someone said PUMPKIN BEER to you, Buffalo Bill's is EXACTLY what it should taste like.

As far as Franziskaner Hefeweizen... yeah, it's good, but it doesn't have that clove finish that Weinstephaner has. But both are leagues above Hacker-Pschorr (sp)... that shit tastes like MEAT. From more than one independent opinion.

And as far as metrosexuals and microbrews (my favourite metal album, btw), I guess all I can say is CRRAAABBB PEOPLE CRRAAABBB PEOPLE. :thumb:

I tend to think of microbrews the same way I think of "boutique" effects and their makers like Tom. It's the fuckin' GOOD shit. :drool:

Plus, welp, how can I help but drink what tastes good?

Keep the favourites comin', Gleep Glop!

C
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby culturejam » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm

CBA713 wrote:But both are leagues above Hacker-Pschorr (sp)... that shit tastes like MEAT.

If you're tasting that kind of flavor, you're getting really old beer. Wheat beers have a ton of yeast in the bottle (obviously), and if left to sit long enough, the dormant yeast begins to break down through a process called autolysis. This process creates some very nasty-tasting compounds, and can make beer taste meaty or rubbery. Autolysis seems to happen far more often and is more noticeable in beers with lower amounts of alcohol (such as a typical German hefeweiss). Any bottle-conditioned beer (not filtered and refermented in the bottle), such as wheat beers and most Belgian beers, can suffer from this.

Hacker-Pschorr's hefe is a fine example of the style, and is quite tasty when reasonably fresh. I've had good and bad bottles of it here in the States. It all depends on the age of the beer at the time of consumption.

Long story short: get your Hacker-Pschorr at a different store. :thumb:

Sorry to be such a nerd, but I've done a ton of research (and writing) on the topic of beer. :yay:
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Re: THE BEER THREAD(?)----->!!!

Postby tuffteef » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 pm

i love drinking beer

but only if its cold and only with food for some reason lol
tuffteef

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:I just remembered another good peat-smoked scottish ale, that might be a bit more available. It's called Kilt Tilter, by Middle Ages Brewing, which I've seen around New England a lot.

Excellent! Another for the list!
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nad » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Beer. :joy:

Lately I've really been enjoying Fat Weasel Pale Ale, it goes so god damn good with the hot weather. Last beer run I made involved Deschutes Inversion IPA and the always traditional Red Nectar. Thankfully it was for a BBQ that was home to a vast array of fellow microbrewfags so I got shitfaced on excellent grog, which enabled me to play maldrums all night long.

BBQ + IPA = :hug:

My biggest experiments with beer these days involve making chili with it. The greatest combination so far was using a Reaper Mortality Stout, which made the entire experience unreal. Any mean ale seems to work really good though, stuff from Mendocino Brew is a pretty regular tenant in my fridge so that always works. Anderson Valley makes periodic appearances and never disappoints either. Guinness is fucking awful in chili, that was the only failure. Not that I was terribly surprised, but that's all we had in the fridge, and I'm such a beersnob that I look at that swill the way most snobs view Buttweiper.

Those whose nose knows the noes.
nad

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maz91379 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:00 pm

culturejam wrote:
CBA713 wrote:But both are leagues above Hacker-Pschorr (sp)... that shit tastes like MEAT.

If you're tasting that kind of flavor, you're getting really old beer. Wheat beers have a ton of yeast in the bottle (obviously), and if left to sit long enough, the dormant yeast begins to break down through a process called autolysis. This process creates some very nasty-tasting compounds, and can make beer taste meaty or rubbery. Autolysis seems to happen far more often and is more noticeable in beers with lower amounts of alcohol (such as a typical German hefeweiss). Any bottle-conditioned beer (not filtered and refermented in the bottle), such as wheat beers and most Belgian beers, can suffer from this.

Hacker-Pschorr's hefe is a fine example of the style, and is quite tasty when reasonably fresh. I've had good and bad bottles of it here in the States. It all depends on the age of the beer at the time of consumption.

Long story short: get your Hacker-Pschorr at a different store. :thumb:

Sorry to be such a nerd, but I've done a ton of research (and writing) on the topic of beer. :yay:

I've decided i need to stop slacking and finish 2 batches of homebrew i have laying around because of this now. How long does bottle conditioned generally last without going bad i've only been brewing 2 years now and seem to be able to finish a batch before i notice any nastiness. My hefeweizen has noticeably changed in flavor from holy shit this is awesome to meh but no meat flavors.I'm confused as i've read bottle conditioned beer can last years but also read it can have a shelf life shorter than commercial beer.
IEatCats wrote: That dude needs a beard and a sad demeanor.
maz91379

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm

the brewmaster's table is an excellent read, for all you beer nerds out there...
i am a huge beer nerd, but i can never remember names of the beers. :no: so i just always end up trying random stuff!
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby magiclawnchair » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:25 pm

hey C

darkhorse brewery is somewhere in michigan...

they had some awesome stouts this winter! the blueberry stout was awesome and the smoke stout was good too. i love their crooked tree ipa and their raspberry ale is pretty good.

i like great lakes brewery's stuff as well. Edmund Fitzgerald porter is excellent.

all the dogfishhead beers i have tried are great but the 60 minute ipa goes down like beer! :drool:

:dance:
:flame:
"You sir, broke my speakers." - Jero
"I'll be the short-haired dummy headbanging like I've still got my old metal hair over in the corner." - jrmy
"And if you're going to sell something why not come and chat for a while... :( " - smile_man
"GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!" - ST :animal:
http://soundcloud.com/magiclawnchair
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicLawnChair
http://www.myspace.com/owlcambridge
shop http://fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html today! :poke:
magiclawnchair

FUZZHEROSAURUS
FUZZHEROSAURUS

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 pm

nad wrote:Beer. :joy:

Lately I've really been enjoying Fat Weasel Pale Ale, it goes so god damn good with the hot weather. Last beer run I made involved Deschutes Inversion IPA and the always traditional Red Nectar. Thankfully it was for a BBQ that was home to a vast array of fellow microbrewfags so I got shitfaced on excellent grog, which enabled me to play maldrums all night long.

My biggest experiments with beer these days involve making chili with it. The greatest combination so far was using a Reaper Mortality Stout, which made the entire experience unreal. Any mean ale seems to work really good though, stuff from Mendocino Brew is a pretty regular tenant in my fridge so that always works. Anderson Valley makes periodic appearances and never disappoints either. Guinness is fucking awful in chili, that was the only failure. Not that I was terribly surprised, but that's all we had in the fridge, and I'm such a beersnob that I look at that swill the way most snobs view Buttweiper.

EXCELLENT use of Marquee.

How could I forget La Chouffe?!!? Golden Ale and a Gnomeratron FTW!!

spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby McSpunckle » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:58 pm

I'll tell ya what isn't any good: Natural Ice (Fuck you, I'm not saying natty), Cult 45, or Budweiser. I don't care if it's easy to drink and gets you drunk, it's gross.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby maz91379 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 am

nad wrote:Beer. :joy:

Beer of some sort routinely goes into my polish goulash, homebrew stout or pale ale is the current fav as you get all sorts of hoppy malt goodness that complements veal/beef rather well. Oh and I remember reading a study about a year ago about how marinating meat in beer or wine for 24 hours or longer before grilling makes it healthier /decreases grilled food's chances of giving you cancer by lots .
IEatCats wrote: That dude needs a beard and a sad demeanor.
maz91379

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 am

Really I'm not much of a beer person... But! This I like!
The only thing is everyone I know goes "so you like Guinness, try this"
And I do, but for me they don't have that Guinnessness that like :idk:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Nychthemeron » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:25 am

Only Guinness can be an awesome enough beer to be made into an amplifier. :rock:
Do you like listening to homemade music? Me too. Why don't you try one of mine?

Current ILF Love: OHNOHO CHK CHK BOOM, Mellowtone Melx Fuzz 2, EQD Dream Crusher, Devi Ever ID, Dr. Scientist Proto-Miniberator - new vids eventually

some mysteries are best unsolved
Nychthemeron

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby culturejam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:53 am

maz91379 wrote:My hefeweizen has noticeably changed in flavor from holy shit this is awesome to meh but no meat flavors.I'm confused as i've read bottle conditioned beer can last years but also read it can have a shelf life shorter than commercial beer.

Any beer is going to go through flavor changes over time; bottle-conditioned beers especially so.

Wheat beers are best when very fresh (young). So I'd say you'd get maximum "classic hefe" flavor after the beers have bottled for 6 weeks to about 6 months. They're still good after that, but some of the punch begins to fall off after about 6 months. They'll stay good (ie - not stale) for probably 18-24 months, assuming the temp is constant and doesn't get too warm. In a refrigerated environment, they can last quite a bit longer.

Higher-alcohol beers have greater long-term stability, especially if they were brewed with a lot of hops (which is a natural preservative). A barley wine, for example, might last 7 or 8 years (or longer) if properly maintained. Some people prefer the smoothness of an aged barley wine, but I like em fresh and ragged around the edges. :yay:

I made a Belgian-style dubel about 5 years ago (right before Xmas), and it turned out great. I drank the whole batch relatively quickly, and I regretted not stashing a few away to see what it would taste like after extended aging. So the next Xmas I was at my mother-in-laws house, and I realized that the prior year I'd left a bottle of it in the back of her fridge. Bonus! I honestly expected that the flavors would have degraded quite a bit, but I was surprised when I tasted it and it was fantastic. The refrigeration had really helped keep the beer tasting very fresh, even a year later.

So my advice to you, maz, is to drink any wheat beers relatively quickly after brewing. They are ready to drink — and they peak flavor-wise — much earlier than other styles. It's a great style for instant gratification, and it is probably my #1 recommendation for a first-time brewer.
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Teej212 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 pm

well since im just a high schooler im pretty limited to drinking only beer that tastes like carbonated urine.
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion