THE BEER THREAD(?)----->!!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: THE BEER THREAD(?)----->!!!

Postby CBA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Excellent score, my friend.

I've had a whole lot of Lagunitas beers here in MI, but we can't seem to get ol' Pliny The Elder OR Younger here. I'm really thirsty to try it out... the number one ranked beer on BeerAdvocate. Not that they're always right on with their ratings. The most respected beer scorer in my life is my tongue.

AND MY ASS

C
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 pm

CBA wrote:Excellent score, my friend.

I've had a whole lot of Lagunitas beers here in MI, but we can't seem to get ol' Pliny The Elder OR Younger here. I'm really thirsty to try it out... the number one ranked beer on BeerAdvocate. Not that they're always right on with their ratings. The most respected beer scorer in my life is my tongue.

AND MY ASS

C

That's funny, the most respected beer scorer in my life is your ass too.

On the real, Pliny was really good. Great even. But it's not like OH MAH GAWD IT'S THE END-ALL great. If you happen to get Ballast Point in your region, their Sculpin is fantastic. I don't know what their distribution is like, I live like an hour away from them so :idk:. Keep in mind I alsoooo don't have a super awesome sense of excellent IPAs, I just know what I really like and what I just kinda like. So maybe I'm way off here.

I don't think you'll ever see Pliny the Younger, my friend. I think it's like super-limited-uber-local-special-release on draft only. I can imagine the brewpub is a madhouse when it comes out.

BUT... I did just have the Saison from St. Feuillien and it was super tasty. I love the Saison style, quickly becoming my favorite.
McSpunckle wrote:Pee, on the other hand, is full of other things that make it more conductive. That's why you don't pee outside in a lightning storm without first putting on your steel dick sheath.

htsamurai wrote:sharpie is my hero and lover

http://www.youtube.com/sevensharpnine
sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:30 pm

I love Beer Advocate, but Pliny being first is a fucking joke. Look, it's a good IPA. But first overall? REALLY? It just shows that Americans have these fucking one-tracked minds where all we care about are IPAs that are pure hop oil, and throw in a few Imperial stouts. I can name at least a dozen beers, if not more, that I'd much rather have in front of me than Pliny.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gearmond » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:I love Beer Advocate, but Pliny being first is a fucking joke. Look, it's a good IPA. But first overall? REALLY? It just shows that Americans have these fucking one-tracked minds where all we care about are IPAs that are pure hop oil, and throw in a few Imperial stouts. I can name at least a dozen beers, if not more, that I'd much rather have in front of me than Pliny.

eggs fukkin zactly.

IPAs are the easiest thing to do, and even when brewers try to do something else, it always feels like theres a mentality of getting the basic checklist of flavor profiles instead of making a good beer. like black IPAs are starting to get big, and honestly i've only had a few legit good ones. most are just IPA + malt/coffee-ness and its just another style that gets shat on. its just a big brash slathering of hoppiness with some roasiness but with zero understanding of a good beer, and just a desire to make "a hoppy as shit beer with some malt and a shitton of alcohol." and its a really terrible attitude that i'm glad seems to be on its way out.
,':{I> ... your move, Trebek.

http://gearmond.bandcamp.com/

my music for you to put in your earholes :joy:
Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Gearmond wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:I love Beer Advocate, but Pliny being first is a fucking joke. Look, it's a good IPA. But first overall? REALLY? It just shows that Americans have these fucking one-tracked minds where all we care about are IPAs that are pure hop oil, and throw in a few Imperial stouts. I can name at least a dozen beers, if not more, that I'd much rather have in front of me than Pliny.

eggs fukkin zactly.

IPAs are the easiest thing to do, and even when brewers try to do something else, it always feels like theres a mentality of getting the basic checklist of flavor profiles instead of making a good beer. like black IPAs are starting to get big, and honestly i've only had a few legit good ones. most are just IPA + malt/coffee-ness and its just another style that gets shat on. its just a big brash slathering of hoppiness with some roasiness but with zero understanding of a good beer, and just a desire to make "a hoppy as shit beer with some malt and a shitton of alcohol." and its a really terrible attitude that i'm glad seems to be on its way out.

+1

As an pretty avid homebrewer myself, IPAs are fucking simple as shit to make. Because an insane amount of hops are powerful enough to disguise any other flaws in your beer. The hardest styles to make are the lighter, milder ones, because there's nowhere for your off-tastes to go.

This recent trend of black IPAs, red IPAs, belgian IPAs and whatever-the-fuck-IPAs are just boring to me. It can't end fast enough. I'd much rather have a real schwarzbier, or red ale, or belgian strong ale, than some bastardized american IPA with a few different specialty malts in it.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Anderson Valley Booneville Ales (especially Boont and Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema)
edit: my faves as far as simple amber ales go. i'm liking all the talk about IPAs,
that shit is overrated and people think it's all about having a fuckton of harsh hops and that's it..
i do like some of the black ipas i've tried on taps at bars but can't remember which ones i liked.
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Agreed. Was Pliny good? Yes. Is it the best beer of any genre, ever? Absolutely not. A lot of IPAs are good. Sometimes I even crave them. But they are nowhere near my favorite type of beer. They're pretty one-dimensional. What's even more amazing than the obsession with hops is the absolute HYPE MACHINE we are able to create surrounding a particular product. :snax:
McSpunckle wrote:Pee, on the other hand, is full of other things that make it more conductive. That's why you don't pee outside in a lightning storm without first putting on your steel dick sheath.

sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Also, darthbatman, you have the best avatar ever.

sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 am

And also also, +1 to Gearmond. If any of you cats are familiar with The Bruery, I love the fact that they refuse to brew an IPA. They say they never have, never will. I dig it.

sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gearmond » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 am

bigchiefbc wrote:
Gearmond wrote:

eggs fukkin zactly.

+1

As an pretty avid homebrewer myself, IPAs are fucking simple as shit to make. Because an insane amount of hops are powerful enough to disguise any other flaws in your beer. The hardest styles to make are the lighter, milder ones, because there's nowhere for your off-tastes to go.

This recent trend of black IPAs, red IPAs, belgian IPAs and whatever-the-fuck-IPAs are just boring to me. It can't end fast enough. I'd much rather have a real schwarzbier, or red ale, or belgian strong ale, than some bastardized american IPA with a few different specialty malts in it.

that whole trend isn't a fusion of IPAs its people figuring out how to make an IPA that isn't shitty. take take for example The Breuery's Mischeif and Bell's Two Hearted. both are basically playing with the same flavors, but one just calls itself an IPA but the other (while really good) flowers up it's description. or like the green flash Le Freak "belgian IPA." it just tastes like a shitty IPA.

and yeah, the lighter styles ARE much harder. thats why i like saisons the best of any style. because from what i understand about subtlety, THATS where you get the interesting flavors from the basic ingredients, but if you just shovel in the ingredients, it just goes to the predominant flavor profile of the ingredient, rather than allowing for it's own subtleties to come to light.

if US brewers want to step up their game style wise, i'd LOVE to see a big trend of scotch ale or red ale come around

Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gearmond » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 am

sevenSHARPnine wrote:And also also, +1 to Gearmond. If any of you cats are familiar with The Bruery, I love the fact that they refuse to brew an IPA. They say they never have, never will. I dig it.

yeah, i really like the bruery, but i did kinda call out Mischeif for being "a hoppy belgian strong ale".

honestly the only bad beer of theirs i've had is the Tart of Darkness

Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 am

Gearmond wrote:
sevenSHARPnine wrote:And also also, +1 to Gearmond. If any of you cats are familiar with The Bruery, I love the fact that they refuse to brew an IPA. They say they never have, never will. I dig it.

yeah, i really like the bruery, but i did kinda call out Mischeif for being "a hoppy belgian strong ale".

honestly the only bad beer of theirs i've had is the Tart of Darkness

I don't care much for Mischeif. It's a nice beer but it just doesn't get me too excited. They're Saison Rue is stupid good though. That's the beer that made me fall in love with the style.

......YOU DON'T LIKE TART OF DARKNESS? I am sad. I have a bottle of it in my fridge. I lurve it. My least favorite beer from them is definitely Old Richland, their barlywine. Waaaaay too hoppy.

sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gearmond » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 pm

maybe its because i was a few beers in already. but yeah, Saison Rue is one of my favorite american made saisons.

nope, i thought it was terrible, way too tart, whcih fucks with the flavor of the stout so that its just this mess of bad bitter coffee and tart. and i don't dislike tarts, ouds, etc. etc.

Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sevenSHARPnine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Gearmond wrote:nope, i thought it was terrible, way too tart, whcih fucks with the flavor of the stout so that its just this mess of bad bitter coffee and tart. and i don't dislike tarts, ouds, etc. etc.

I can see where you're coming from. Maybe I just think of it as drinking a sour beer rather than a true stout. Or maybe I'm just weird. They recently released a sour version of their Rugbrod, I think it's draft only but it's really effin good.

sevenSHARPnine

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gearmond » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 pm

i just think that the sour was overpowering and just hamfisted. good sours should taste like thick ciders that are tart. like a combination of wine, beer, and cider.

Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion