What's your favourite non-ILFcast podcast?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

What's your favourite non-ILFcast podcast?

Postby PanicProne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:22 pm

I've been listening to pods a lot more lately (not the line 6 ones, well those I don't listen to intentionally at least). Besides the odd episode of random shows where they interview music people I like and a specific podcast about the ongoings of my fave football (no, it's not "soccer", besides it should be called handegg anyway!) team I recently "found" Stuff You Should Know and really like it. Anyone else got any favourites/recommendations? What are you all listening to?
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Re: What's your favourite non-ILFcast podcast?

Postby RubenTheDev » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm probably gonan like this thread, I listen to handful pretty consistently.
My favorite one is Reply All (https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/all), if they were more consistent with episodes they'd be amazing, as it's stands though they're just my favorite.

I'm also really, really partial to SYSK (as you mentioned), Stuff to Blow Your Mind is really similar to SYSK, obviously, right? (https://www.stufftoblowyourmind.com/podcasts),
Radiolab is the one that started it all for me, I think, love them immensely, even if they can get overproduced at times (https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/radiolab),
99 PI is amazing, covering all sorts of topics from a design perspective (https://99percentinvisible.org/episodes/),
if you're into story telling you'll really dig This American Life (https://www.thisamericanlife.org/archive),
if you're into story telling w/ a beat, it's literally they're tagline, you'll love Snap Judgement (http://feeds.wnyc.org/snapjudgment-wnyc),
if you're javascript programmer like myself, Front End Happy Hour is amazing, eye opening, and sometimes really hits home (http://frontendhappyhour.com/)

in general I'm always looking for more, especially tech related ones, so please hit me up if you've got any reccs
yarn is the better option because of the kitty icon, npm can't compare.
RubenTheDev

interested
interested

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:22 pm

I listen to a lot of podcasts (675 hours since the ILFcast got started). Right now I'm all about these two. First is less serious and at times hilarious, the other one a podcast I thought I should listen to as my history knowledge is sub par.

Very Bad Wizards - A philosopher and a psychologist ponder human morality, ethics, philosophy and movies. Every episode features a new beat by one of the hosts as well. Some fire stuff in there!

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - In depth look at history and its implications, with a focus on war.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:24 pm

I know they're typical comedians-talking-with-their-comedian-friends but I really love RHLSTP and Marc Maron's WTF. Probably because by the time I got into them, there were like a thousand episodes so I can get through like 4 in a night of insomnia and not run out too quickly.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PanicProne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Cool recommendations so far!
Storytelling with or without a beat sounds nice. Gonna check it out for sure!

I suck at history too so might give Hardcore History a shot. Not too big on the war-loving history though, but guess it plays a big part.

And oh, for you norwegians or anyone who understands swedish I really gotta recommend P3 Dystopia. It's a pod about "when everything goes to hell" analysing things like antibiotic resistance, totaliarism, rising sea level etc. But in swedish, sadly. Really, really good though!

"Comedians talking"-podcasts are often the worst, but can also be the best imo.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Very Bad Wizards - A philosopher and a psychologist ponder human morality, ethics, philosophy and movies. Every episode features a new beat by one of the hosts as well. Some fire stuff in there!

If any more of yous are into this sort of stuff I also recommend checking out Partially Examined Life. I think their own description says it all: "A philosophy podcast by some guys who were at one point set on doing philosophy for a living, but then thought better of it."
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:Very Bad Wizards - A philosopher and a psychologist ponder human morality, ethics, philosophy and movies. Every episode features a new beat by one of the hosts as well. Some fire stuff in there!

If any more of yous are into this sort of stuff I also recommend checking out Partially Examined Life. I think their own description says it all: "A philosophy podcast by some guys who were at one point set on doing philosophy for a living, but then thought better of it."

I'm going to be checking out both of these over this coming week. I've been listening to Philosophise This and Path Less Pedaled, but I need some more variety. Philosophise This is okay, I just search topics that are directly related to my school studies. Path Less Pedaled is a bicycling podcast that I enjoy, but the host can get on my nerves sometimes. I like that's it's all about using bikes for non-competitive stuff, but it hates on competitive cycling a bit much for my taste.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:15 pm

WTF and 99% Invisible have been my most consistent long term faves. S-Town was fantastic if you're into something finite. Gonna check out some of the other recs on here for sure!
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Chapo Trap House - lefty politics/funny
Street Fight Radio - same
Last Podcast on the Left - serial killers/funny, mostly
In Our Time from the BBC - smart people with English accents
You Must Remember This - longform stories from Old Hollywood
The History of Rome/Revolutions - history podcasts by Mike Duncan
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:33 pm

PeteeBee wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

I'm going to be checking out both of these over this coming week. I've been listening to Philosophise This and Path Less Pedaled, but I need some more variety. Philosophise This is okay, I just search topics that are directly related to my school studies. Path Less Pedaled is a bicycling podcast that I enjoy, but the host can get on my nerves sometimes. I like that's it's all about using bikes for non-competitive stuff, but it hates on competitive cycling a bit much for my taste.

Nice! I'll have to check those out as well. I'd go for Very Bad Wizards first, as it's a lot more energetic and "youthful", which might be a nice break from the studies. It's how and what I imagine philosophy students/professors talk about over a few beers. :thumb:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby weebles » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:07 pm

These have all been mentioned I see, but I’ll repeat:

Reply All, Radiolab, Hardcore History.

Heavyweight is one of my favorites and I recommend it all the time.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 am

PanicProne wrote:"Comedians talking"-podcasts are often the worst, but can also be the best imo.

I'm not big into podcasts generally but what I like about WTF and RHLSTP is that it's only ever 2 people talking (room full of dudes shouting over each other is not a good thing to listen to), and that the guests are generally relaxed (I mean with WTF they normally seem to drive over to Marc's house with no handlers/entourage/whatever) and there's no feeling of agents/sponsors/whatever keeping everyone on short leashes... "remember to talk about this... but don't talk about that... we don't want you to ask about the following topics..." I mean Marc Maron seems to have guests at his mercy coz I haven't spotted much in the way of heavy edits.

Basically, it's exactly the kind of thing podcasts were better at than radio/tv, and now it seems that radio/tv are playing catchup.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 am

I fully support many of those mentioned above.
I recently realized that a lot of the time when listening to podcasts, I'm trying to recreate the experience of having friends. Since I spend most of the time with my kids anymore, I miss hanging out and talking to people about nonsense. In that vein, I listen to:
The Greatest Generation - about Star Trek
Titan Up The Defense - about old comics
War Rocket Ajax - about new comics
Wait, What? - about comics, generally
Penn's Sunday School - about whatever
Sawbones - about medical history

For music stuff, I like Song Exploder, Cocaine and Rhinestones, Irish Music Stories
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 am

I love Hardcore History and Common Sense, but they are definitely too sporadic of a release schedule for me. OTOH I see each have put out a new ep in the past couple of months, so YAY!

Another in the sporadic category is Henry and Heidi, which is just Henry Rollins telling stories about his glory days to his assistant. If you like Henry Rollins talking then that's what this is.

Cocaine and Rhinestones is an entertaining and well-researched podcast about country music in the 20th Century.

My all-time podcast is Uhh Yeah Dude though. https://uhhyeahdude.com/ Just two guys who have been meeting once a week since 2006 to discuss topics of relevance to American Americans. It's billed as a "comedy podcast" and they do get funny but it's more just like enjoying the hell out of these guys personalities. Like having two good friends over for those times when your irl friends aren't around. 2006 4 life.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:23 am

Chapo's traphouse is trash and they people behind it are abusive assholes. :duck:

As for podcasts I actually do listen to:

Lore: Spooky podcast about ghost stories and such, lots of history mixed in, dealing with the originals of a lot of horror tropes, expertly written.
Pesudopod stories, also well done. Been listening for Ages
Talk is Jericho: I'm a wrestling mark, what do you want?
Edge and Christian's Show: See above.
Queens of Crime: really any true crime podcast is my jam. :lol:
Anime World Order: been listening for over a decade now, somehow still alive.
Critical Role (Although mostly through video): the stupid DnD cast has taken over my life, send help. their ability to improvise gripping stories is amazing, granted they are professional voice actors.
The Adventure Zone: also a DnD podcast, but more comedy focused.
Fast Karate for the Gentlemen
99% Invisible
Reply All

There's a bunch I used to listen to but ended or I dropped from my regular rotation and visit only occasionally, not going to bother listing them.
Last edited by Inconuucl on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussion