FEBER

Moderator: Pladask

Re: FEBER

Postby Dandolin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:12 am

:thumb: fair enough :lol:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:19 am

Dandolin wrote:how appropriate is it that, ultimately, capitalism chose Ding Dongs over Ring Dings?

Hostess vs Drake's :snax:

UglyCasanova wrote: Keep the clips coming! :snax:

:thumb: :poke: :)*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
Dandolin wrote:how appropriate is it that, ultimately, capitalism chose Ding Dongs over Ring Dings?

Hostess vs Drake's :snax:

yep, and the American consumer took the Dings, and when given the choice between Dongs and Rings, overwhelming grabbed the Dong.

Feber, on the other hand, offers all of these for your grabbing [insert gerund here] pleasure....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Yeah, I really am floored by the range of FEBER. I don't even think I'd call it a ring mod, but it gets that MF-102 beauty if you dial it in right.
Also, for the sample and hold...if you set it to "STEP" it gives you little bursts of square wave randomness (especially with that latching/momentary operation of the footswitches).
I say this a lot when I get a new Pladask pedal, but this one might be my favorite.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Hagel123 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Im so bummed to have only discovered this after the release and now I’m waiting with baited breath for the next run!

Seeing the reverb price bumps makes me bummed but I would rather wait and buy direct than support predatory practices
Fender Custom Shop Tele Champagne Sparkle

Zvex Fuzz Factory 7
Hudson 24v Broadcast
Mutron Mictrotron iv
Boss VB-2w Vibrato
Lehle Mono Volume
Ceiratone Centura
Strymon Volante

Victoria Victoriette
Hagel123

involved
involved

Postby Dandolin » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:26 pm

solid plan - it will be worth the wait :thumb:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:40 am

Right, review time.
Feber is my mostestest favoritestestest pedal of the last 2 or 3 years.
End of the review.

:snax:

No, seriously, as some of you might know, i have been searching for a dedicated freq shifting pedal for a while, found a couple of suitable ones but never had the chance to try those because they were hard to find or pricey or didn't have all the features i wanted.
Then Feber came out, and the moment I saw the picture and the knobs labels I knew it was what I was looking for even before I heard a single demo of it.

The huge range of FREQ, paired with the HI/SUB switch, is the first thing that surprised me when I plugged it. From super-slow phaser sounds to aliasing-ish frequencies and everything in between.
Are you getting tired of hi-freq ring modulated sounds for extraterrestrial communication? flip that switch on SUB on you'll be sucked in a vortex of warm phasing, or flip it again in the middle position and a tremulating filter will run up your spine and choke you up.
:excellent:

In every setting, FEEB (Feedback) lets you dial in the modulation from subtle settings to totally overloaded mess.
It's not fundamental for pure bell-like tones, but to me it is particularly useful when using it for comb-filtering/phasing, with low to mid freq range, as at high feedback levels it starts to sound almost like a flanger - yeh i know it's a different thing, but the feeling is close.

The BAND knob: this is probably my favorite feature of the pedal, because you can set very precisely the amount of signal you want to hear from both sidebands.
In general, it's interesting to turn it in every possible setting, and see how it changes the complexity of the modulation.
When in low freq range, combined with the feedback knob, it sounds like you're adding or subtracting stages on a phaser.
I love to set the freq high, set BAND for (upper) single sideband and then turn it back a bit letting a small amount of the lower sideband appear in the background. Pure bliss.
Probably i would love it if this parameter was assignable to an expression pedal or to the sample&hold side of the pedal. :animal: :animal:

S&H + INT/STEP: ok, i was skeptical about sample & hold modulation until about a year ago, then learned how to work with it on a different pedal, and now i like it.
The idea of having a dedicated footswitch to activate it, and a switch to choose from stepped or interpolated modes is really useful. Personally my favorite uses of it are:
- Interpolated s&h with low depth values - adds slight movement, either at fast or slow rates
- Interpolated s& with superlow rate and mid/high depth - raising and falling freq fluctuation, very present but without getting seasick
- Stepped s&h with low/mid depth and rate set to a precise tempo - extremely rhythmical without being predictable like a simple square wave, applying this on a cadenced riff or a drum loop is awesome. A cool improvement would be to have an external input to sync the rate to other devices (tap tempo, CV etc).
I've tried to place Feber in the feedback loop of Taken, and with this s&h setting I got some wonderfully chopped and shifted polyrhythms.

Like most Pladask pedals, the dedicated knobs for VOL, MIX (a lot more interacting than in other pedals, for phase cancellation etc), and most importantly TONE, are there, and super useful. I have said this multiple times, and i'll say it again, but the Tone knob, to me, is fundamental in most space & modulation pedals, particularly in freq/pitch/amplitude-shifting ones.

So, in the end, it's awesome and the amount of sounds you can get from it is endless, so endless that I created a cheat sheet to write down some settings.
If anyone needs it, you can find it attached to this message.

:joy:
Attachments
feb.pdf
(81.73 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pladask » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Dowi wrote:Right, review time.

:yay: Thank you so much for the writeup! I really appreciate the critique both positive and negative. I don't get to do much music myself these days so it's great to hear what features are deemed useful and so on for others. We're currently working on more Matrise and Draume pedals with Feber next in line after that. Happy new year!
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:47 pm

I have to say I sat down last night and played with some new pedals that I hadn't had a chance to plug in yet and the Feber was one of them and it is definitely going to be sticking for awhile. So much versatility to explore, lots of fun and with a lot of variation, will not run out of fun for some time.

I think Dowi's review is spot on and agree that an Expression input would add to the versatility/usefulness. That's minor though. Great pedal, thank you!
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Feber restock Sunday Feb 14 (tomorrow) at 10:00pm GMT+1

:)* :)* :)*
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:06 pm

:snax: my fav Pladask, which is sayin' something....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm

I can't stop thinking about this pedal. I already know I'm gonna end up getting one at some point. It's only a question of when.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 am

:excellent:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:44 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I can't stop thinking about this pedal. I already know I'm gonna end up getting one at some point. It's only a question of when.

You should get one as soon as you can.

:hug:
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:48 pm

yeah, this one would suit you well, UC :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Pladask Elektrisk