DRAUME

Moderator: Pladask

Re: DRAUME

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:13 am

cosmicevan wrote:I can't believe I blew this. Bad me.

There’s another restock in a month of two, so not too long to wait.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 am

Thanks for the interest. Website performed better this time around. For those having issues this was due to a cart-gridlock. Will try announcing next batch release date well in advance.
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:29 am

The only issue I heard about (besides selling out) was that people got an error telling them to select a shipping method. I just clicked the fields a few times and it worked out.

Looking forward to trying out the new version!
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:41 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:The only issue I heard about (besides selling out) was that people got an error telling them to select a shipping method. I just clicked the fields a few times and it worked out.

Yep, I had this issue but it ended up working out for me. It was a stressful 10 minutes tho haha
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:49 pm

cantremember wrote:
oldangelmidnight wrote:The only issue I heard about (besides selling out) was that people got an error telling them to select a shipping method. I just clicked the fields a few times and it worked out.

Yep, I had this issue but it ended up working out for me. It was a stressful 10 minutes tho haha

This was the issue I had as well. I did end up getting one, but ended up having to select my secondary shipping address.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby wblackmon » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:34 pm

I had the same issue. Added to cart, then on the page for shipping, it seemed to require you keep the checkbox selected for entering A separate Shipping Address (couldn’t select ‘same as billing’ address). Each time I tried to reset it, I kept forgetting to click the Terms and Agreement checkbox at the bottom (which reset each time). Finally got it sorted and over to PayPal, then got the confirmation.

I didn’t have any issues with Fabrikat earlier this month.

Such great pedals BTW. Inspiring from a musical and engineering standpoint!
wblackmon

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Blood_mountain » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:50 am

Settle in, this is a long one and I didn’t bother with a TLDR version...

Draume V1 vs V2

First impressions of the differences between Draumes V1 and V2. Keeping in mind that I’ve only had V2 for about 6 hours and am still very much in the honeymoon phase. V1 is a pedal I’ve loved, and the changes mentioned in the lead up to the pedal launch were enough to make me want to try out V2.

Reverb Algorithms

Hall
V1 is more resonant and clangy than V2, with V2 sounding smoother and mellower. There is less pronounced pre-delay in V2, tho it’s not crazy pronounced in V1 IMO. V1 hall sounds more digital to my ears, V2 more natural. V1 sits behind your playing, with more separation between dry and wet signals, whereas V2 blends in with the dry signal more so it sounds more cohesive.

Metal
In V1, there is a pretty significant volume jump when switching to Metal, and this has been fixed in V2. V1 metal is much sharper and colder, V2 is still resonant and metallic, but in a more subtle manner. V1 Metal has a much more percussive predelay to it, and borders on being overly metallic. It sounds like what I would imagine playing inside a metal drum would sound like. V2 again is softer and less pronounced. I think I’ll find the V2 more useable, but it’s less distinct from the Hall setting than the V1 metal vs hall.

Grain
The most obvious change in the modes seems to be in the Grain setting. V1 sounds like it’s pulled directly from a Fabrikat algorithm. It’s pronounced and jittery and a typically granular sound. V2 has a smoother, less glitchy and choppy sound. V1 is much more similar in sound to a multi tap delay/reverb/granular synthesis effect. V2’s grain setting is more subtle, smooth and diffused. Since I have Fabrikat, I appreciate that the grain mode in V2 has been made something more original to Draume, but if you don’t have a Fabrikat or other granular effect, the V1 probably gets you closer to what you’d imagine “granular” to sound like.

Other controls

Clock
Seems to operate identically on both pedals.

TXT
Much harsher, staticky and metallic on
V1. I often felt like I needed to dial back the TXT control and tame the high end a bit with the tone control. I always liked the sound of V1 TXT when i had it at between noon and 3 o’clock, tone way rolled off at about 9 o’clock and clock between noon and 9 o’clock. The V2 seems to have a more useable range with less overall harshness. Similar sound, but less up front, less like totally blown out speakers and more like only partially blown out speakers. I don’t know if I’ve found a sweet spot for the TXT on V2 yet, but listening closely I can hear some interesting high end harmonic activity going on and an almost sample rate reduction, bit crushing undertone that sounds promising and not overpowering.

FM
Probably one of the biggest improvements on the V2 IMO is the random frequency modulation. There is always a bit of digital sounding static/distortion present with the FM control on V1, and at some lower clock settings and with the tone rolled off, it can sound great and fitting - similar to the white noise/hiss of old tape or vinyl. At higher tone and clock settings that distortion becomes not unpleasant necessarily, but kind of distracts from the FM warble. On the V2 there is no distortion with this control and it’s much more suitable to my tastes. It feels more usable through the sweep range and more interactive with the TXT control.

AM
The random AM modulation control on the V2 has also apparently been updated with a bit of a different sound, tho I think most would not necessarily notice a major difference without a very close listen. The V1 is a slightly harder on/off square wave random tremolo sound, and the V2 is just very slightly rounded and more subtle. Very slight difference there tho I feel.

Tone
The changelog mentions the hi/lo emphasis tone control on V1 has been swapped for a 2nd order lo pass filter on V2. Both sound really good to me.

I love the V1 pedal, but will most likely keep the V2 and sell the V1 as the V2 suits my style of writing and playing better. Both are incredibly fun pedals and sound great.
Last edited by Blood_mountain on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:35 am

Blood_mountain wrote:Settle in, this is a long one and I didn’t bother with a TLDR version...

Draume V1 vs V2

Thank you for this detailed writeup. Hope this makes it easier for people to decide on the pedal :D
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby Blood_mountain » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 am

Pladask wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:Settle in, this is a long one and I didn’t bother with a TLDR version...

Draume V1 vs V2

Thank you for this detailed writeup. Hope this makes it easier for people to decide on the pedal :D

My pleasure. As always, thanks for building the dream machines you build Knut!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:My pleasure. As always, thanks for building the dream machines you build Knut!

I'll second this. Really a joy to have builders creating things that are unique and different, not just ANOTHER of the same effect in a different box.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:
Pladask wrote:

Draume V1 vs V2

My pleasure. As always, thanks for building the dream machines you build Knut!

I also should clarify that I used words like "clangy", "cold", "metallic" and whatnot and those could be interpreted negatively, but I didn't intend them to be negative. Rather, I think they identify that the sounds created by those algorithms are appropriate and accurately represent the intended emulations.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby wblackmon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:48 pm

I received mine in 3 days, delivered to Austin TX after getting one from Sunday’s batch.

Blood_mountain’s review is amazingly detailed. I can’t disagree on any point. Especially in the area where Draume is described as beautifully noisy.

I have been toying with various lo-fi sort of pedals: ZVex Lo-Fi Junky, Hungry Robot Moby Dick/WardenClyffe, Caroline Kilobyte/Megabyte... all I can say is that although those are very nice pedals, I won’t miss them or will move on from them most likely. Draume makes them unnecessary.

From my limited play this AM, Draume is immediately unique and really easy to dial in. You will accidentally discover beautiful sounds as you look for ‘your’ sound. Extremely easy to dial in. Easy to understand and pickup on the play between the parameters. The full range of motion on the knobs is in play. You won’t find yourself in a self-oscillating landslide.

The AM/FM warble is really nice. The texture is gritty, grainy, but not like gain/overdrive. It’s so easy to dial back. The decay (and the left foot switch) are a bit of a nice surprise/revelation. It essentially does what the Hungry Robot ‘the Wash’ seemed to do (or stacking delays/reverbs), a swirling, yet slowly building wash.

So...you get the warble, you get the breakup, you get the washy ambient. AMAZING. And I haven’t even started looping the output or pushing Fabrikat glitches and octaves into it.
wblackmon

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby pugnax » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Is it possible to update a V1 to V2 via software update? Or is it a fundamentally different pedal?
pugnax

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Pladask » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pm

pugnax wrote:Is it possible to update a V1 to V2 via software update? Or is it a fundamentally different pedal?

They look very similar but are fundamentally different on the inside. Wish it could be so simple, but software update unfortunately isn't possible. sorry!
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby elefontpress » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:00 pm

Hats off to you Knut! Got mine today and – early verdict, but i think this just kicked the Mood off my board. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHOnfAAHxlm ... gjmlcfd08u
elefontpress

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to Pladask Elektrisk