FABRIKAT - Granular Synthesis / Sample Playback

Moderator: Pladask

Re: FABRIKAT - Granular Synthesis / Sample Playback

Postby Pladask » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:54 pm

cosmicevan wrote:
Pladask wrote:Thanks! The move to tall knobs is for two reasons:
* Easier to source good quality knobs (less waste)
* Easier to play the pedal. I have quite thin fingers, but accessing the toggle switches can be a struggle without altering the knobs surrounding them :)

I figured you were playing into the reverb flipper crowd by creating a variety of flavors for people to collect. That rarity factor and all :lol:

Damn it you got me! :lol:

On that topic:
Those black plate Fabrikat was the result of checking out the quality of a manufacturer mask finish (matte black) which ended up as a bit of a let down (50% discard). Decided to use the leftover 5 plates instead of discarding it completely. I could imagine from an outside point of view it could look like a capitalization on the current civil rights movement going on. That said I'm super glad these ended up so popular and that I still hadn't sold them when BandMemes666 contacted about the raffle. For those of you who don't know we're participating in a charity raffle organized by SheShreds Media and BandMemes666 togehter with about 20 other brand in support of Black Lives Matter, Bail Project and Critical Resistance. A black plate Fabriakt is one of the prices. More info below:

https://sheshreds.com/pedals-raffle-for-black-lives/
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Pladask wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:
* Easier to play the pedal. I have quite thin fingers, but accessing the toggle switches can be a struggle without altering the knobs surrounding them :)

I figured you were playing into the reverb flipper crowd by creating a variety of flavors for people to collect. That rarity factor and all :lol:

On that topic:
Those black plate Fabrikat was the result of checking out the quality of a manufacturer mask finish (matte black) which ended up as a bit of a let down (50% discard). Decided to use the leftover 5 plates instead of discarding it completely. I could imagine from an outside point of view it could look like a capitalization on the current civil rights movement going on. That said I'm super glad these ended up so popular and that I still hadn't sold them when BandMemes666 contacted about the raffle. For those of you who don't know we're participating in a charity raffle organized by SheShreds Media and BandMemes666 togehter with about 20 other brand in support of Black Lives Matter, Bail Project and Critical Resistance. A black plate Fabriakt is one of the prices. More info below:

I didn't have a 50% discard rate with a recent PCBWay order of matte faceplates but Ill probably go with regular gloss black on the next round just for ease of wiping fingerprints off before boxing pedals. Who are you using for your plates?
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:17 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Who are you using for your plates?

PCBWay mostly. Those black FR4 plates from OSHpark look delicious though! :drool:
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:25 pm

OSHPark is pricy though
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:39 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:OSHPark is pricy though

Definitely! They're probably not buying from OSHpark, but I think that is the type of plates Lightning Wave uses for their pedals.
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Lee told me once what he uses and I just cannot remember. I bet if you email him, he would tell you. I want to say he CNC cuts them himself??? Lee you're out there right?? ;)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:52 pm

I don't know who makes the Lightning Wave faceplates but they're just graphics in the copper layer with an ENIG finish and gloss black solder mask. They look a little different than the ones I use in that the solder mask is raised above the copper layer so they may just be a large copper fill with ENIG finish and black silkscreen for the negative space of the graphic.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:56 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:I don't know who makes the Lightning Wave faceplates but they're just graphics in the copper layer with an ENIG finish and gloss black solder mask. They look a little different than the ones I use in that the solder mask is raised above the copper layer so they may just be a large copper fill with ENIG finish and black silkscreen for the negative space of the graphic.

Are you sure it isn't black FR4 with ENIG and transparent soldermask (no silkscreen)? :?:
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:03 pm

You're right that it is black FR4 but there is definitely a layer raised above the ENIG surface that looks and feels more like a silkscreen than solder mask. On my plates there is no perceptible difference in surface level between the ENIG and the solder mask. On the Lightning Wave pedal all the black that makes up the graphics is a distinct raised feeling probably the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Pladask wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:

On that topic:

Saw that raffle. Very cool of you to get involved.

...in other news, Matrise should be showing up within a few hours. I'm excite. Gonna put it in the empty space on the bottom right and then figure out how to wire up this mess of noisemakers (prolly...no definitely gonna need to add more power).

•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:40 pm

solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:00 am

BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:34 pm

I ended up picking up a Fabrikat a while ago during a release and it was at a time when I had recently taken on a few other projects and I never really gave Fabrikat a fair shake...as such, I decided to put together this little board to help explore Fabrikat with some focus this week.

although I'm only through bank 1 in my focused exploration, there really is so much to offer in that little box. I'm finding an immediate favorite in Beat Repeat mode. In a desktop situation, that mode is :!!!:
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:52 pm

These will restock on September 28th 10:00pm GMT+2 !!!
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:48 am

Any more Fabrikat restocks planned? I loaned mine out in a temporary trade and it is looking like I might have a hard time getting it back.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Pladask Elektrisk