The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Moderator: drolo

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby drolo » Sat May 23, 2020 11:12 am

mathias wrote:Here’s my ask Drolo for today: Are there more useful DSP effects/algorithms waiting to be discovered/invented which are not related to existing effects types? It seems like DSP has a unique strength in time based effects like reverb and delay, given that it can record and play back sound over time.

But I mostly see modulation on the delayed sound, shortening/stretching the sound, or randomly sampling the array (glitch type effects) so I’m wondering if there’s more possible.

That's an interesting question and one that I often ask myself actually.
Everything has more or less been invented to some degree.
I think where combining certain existing ideas or processes is where there's still interesting things to be discovered.
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

drolo wrote:
mathias wrote:Here’s my ask Drolo for today: Are there more useful DSP effects/algorithms waiting to be discovered/invented which are not related to existing effects types? It seems like DSP has a unique strength in time based effects like reverb and delay, given that it can record and play back sound over time.

But I mostly see modulation on the delayed sound, shortening/stretching the sound, or randomly sampling the array (glitch type effects) so I’m wondering if there’s more possible.

That's an interesting question and one that I often ask myself actually.
Everything has more or less been invented to some degree.
I think where combining certain existing ideas or processes is where there's still interesting things to be discovered.

Envelope w bit crusher is super dope. Keep making them combos!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mathias » Sat May 23, 2020 1:41 pm

In my head (software engineer background) the delayed line is just an array that we write to like a buffer, and the delay time is the offset from the write position. Computer science doesn’t give me many interesting things to do with just an array, especially in a single tick or step. There’s maybe some more interesting things with matrix math if we resized the array into 2D but that feels weird, what would it mean to take a (using easy numbers) length 16 array, recast it into a 4x4 matrix, run some math on it like reflecting it, rotating it, or transposing it, and then return it to a 16 length array. Some of these (haven’t tried, need to get a simple scripting environment set up where I can play with these ideas on a computer) might sound like a sliced up delay where you cut it into 4 equal parts (for our 16 length, 4x4 example) and then swap some of those sub-arrays around to re order the delay repeats. I don’t know. Just riffing here.

I think I forgot one more thing that could be interesting with the “tape head” array delay example, which is using some chance of writing it back with the incoming signal (feedback in the traditional delay, and in analog delay pedals, using with lower amplitude.) We could use other things to decide whether to write the current play head as part of the write head position, like a random number generator being above some threshold or based on whether an envelope has been triggered on the input.

:shrug:
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby drolo » Mon May 25, 2020 2:42 am

absolutely!
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mathias » Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 am

I brought up the matrix operations because on some processors those are faster than loops (or two nested loops) for iterating over arrays. But I don’t know if the Spin assembly language would support matrix operations.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby drolo » Mon May 25, 2020 5:39 pm

mathias wrote:I brought up the matrix operations because on some processors those are faster than loops (or two nested loops) for iterating over arrays. But I don’t know if the Spin assembly language would support matrix operations.

It's way not capable of doing that and I'd be way too incompetent to apply that if it could :)
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Less of a question, more of an observation - Stretch Weaver sale just now was probably the most drama free internet release I have ever encountered. Put in my cart, clicked on checkout, done. Holy moly. Anyone else have amazing luck or just me? I tried plugging in for a wired connection today, but I had a zoom meeting going for work at the same time...I can't believe it worked!!!! Now we play the 2 month waiting game.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drolo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 pm

actually, of the 2 test shipments to the US I did since international shipping resumed, one got there in 13 days and the other 22. I hope yours will not really take 2 months despite your pessimism :)
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:15 pm

drolo wrote:actually, of the 2 test shipments to the US I did since international shipping resumed, one got there in 13 days and the other 22. I hope yours will not really take 2 months despite your pessimism :)

I was kidding (hopefully) about 2 months. Either way, it was worth the wait for the Molecular Disruptor (I still haven't gotten past the 1st chip) so I'm sure it will be worth the wait for the weaver whether 22 or 52 days. I'll post when it arrives.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drolo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:24 am

cosmicevan wrote:Less of a question, more of an observation - Stretch Weaver sale just now was probably the most drama free internet release I have ever encountered. Put in my cart, clicked on checkout, done. Holy moly. Anyone else have amazing luck or just me? I tried plugging in for a wired connection today, but I had a zoom meeting going for work at the same time...I can't believe it worked!!!! Now we play the 2 month waiting game.

you win ... :excellent:
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 pm

drolo wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:Less of a question, more of an observation - Stretch Weaver sale just now was probably the most drama free internet release I have ever encountered. Put in my cart, clicked on checkout, done. Holy moly. Anyone else have amazing luck or just me? I tried plugging in for a wired connection today, but I had a zoom meeting going for work at the same time...I can't believe it worked!!!! Now we play the 2 month waiting game.

you win ... :excellent:

Revenge is always tasty or rather those who laugh first laugh hardest before they knock on wood they are winning!!!

...my tracking still says it left belgium and waiting to arrive since June 16th. Must've taken a boat again :idk:

I do still check the tracking every day or two.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drolo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:35 am

yep all US shipments are stuck somewhere for the moment
I can only presume it has to do with the current state of things there :(
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 pm

drolo wrote:yep all US shipments are stuck somewhere for the moment
I can only presume it has to do with the current state of things there :(

Yeah, up is down over here around these days. If I was a pedal coming from Belgium, I'd hide out too. I'm not too worried. I'd love to play with the stretch weaver, but I know it will come eventually and have my hands full with other nonsense projects.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drolo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 am

rumor has it, despite the lack of tracking updates, most of the shipments have now been processed by the US customs, some have even been delivered ;)
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:18 pm

HERE!

The stretch weaver showed nothing on tracking for weeks and then BOOM at my doorstep!!!

•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to drolo