Suggest me a vocal mic/ways to treat my bedroom

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Suggest me a vocal mic/ways to treat my bedroom

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:32 pm

What microphone would you suggest for recording intimate, quiet, whispery vocals at home, in an untreated bedroom "studio"?

The style would be something like this:

Mixed with Elliott Smith style quietness.

(Except… well, bad, because I can't sing. But never mind that.)

There is faint, low-end, noise from my computer in the room, but I think that can be EQ-ed out if it is at all audible when there's actual vocals, and it'd get lost in the full mix anyway. However, the room sound is, though not complete shite, unlikely to be flattering. Feel therefore free to also suggest some stuff I can do to mitigate it being after all an untreated space—e.g. cheap stuff I can buy, or techniques I should employ.

I already have a couple of SM58s (who doesn't), and might just end up using one of those unless the suggestions are particularly compelling, but I'd like to weigh my options. Good old trusty SM58 might be my best bet after all though, since using a dynamic mic is less of a pain in an untreated room. Then I could spend money on a reflection filter, or whatever, instead of a new mic.

My current idea is to get a reflection filter, maybe also a pop filter, and then prop up my "bed" (I only use a fairly thin mattress on the floor) against the opposing wall.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Re: Suggest me a vocal mic/ways to treat my bedroom

Postby ognoy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:32 am

Do you have a closet/wardrobe/klesskap?
If you do put your mic in there somehow.

Mics: depends on your budget, but Shure Sm7b is often used when the room is not ideal.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:47 am

interesting news to me about the Sm7b
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:58 pm

ognoy wrote:Do you have a closet/wardrobe/klesskap?
If you do put your mic in there somehow.

Mics: depends on your budget, but Shure Sm7b is often used when the room is not ideal.

I have a klesskap and know about that hack, but it's not exactly conveniently placed with regards to the computer. I've already looked at the SM7B and read precisely what you suggest, however it is about twice my budget for now.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:48 am

SM7B sounds great for more aggressive vox, so if you ever want to yell a lot, in addition to not yelling, I can't recommend it enough.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:30 am

added it to my watch list :snax:

slight derail - how is it as an acoustic instrument mic?
i mean, obviously, not every mic can be great at everything, but i've had a couple that were pretty decent all-rounders
i realize this depends on the instrument, but let's use standard tuned acoustic guitar as the baseline? thx
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 am

goroth wrote:SM7B sounds great for more aggressive vox, so if you ever want to yell a lot, in addition to not yelling, I can't recommend it enough.

I actually prefer condenser microphones placed half a metre away for yelling vox. Mighty chuffed with how it turned out for the last released track I did that on, which was a sort of in the style of emo anno '93.

The band I'm recording for here will be pretty quiet/whispery, likely from the throat/head. I don't foresee a lot of yelping.

BTW, Dandolin, from what I read about the sm7b is pretty much great at everything *except* acoustic guitar. People recommend it for kick, snare, cymbals, brass, whatever. I've used it for recording kicks (on the side opposite to the pedal), wrapped under a duvet and pillow, in a full-band recording setting, and those sounded great.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:19 am

thanks VREEEEVROOOOOW :hug:
sounds like it could be a nice utility player, but i'll hold onto a condenser too :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording