Mac Cult

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mac Cult

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:36 pm

I am realizing that after probably one more guitar, there is noting on my immedate radar that I have to have now. As it currently stands, I think I am ready to start exploring drum tracks and trying to get some Guitar recored.

I also realize that I don't have the energy or will to dive in to a program like reaper, but could be forced too if I still use PC for home. Macbooks seem, way easier to manage and get going and my current laptop is on its way out.

I need to know from fellow users if jumping to the Mac Cult is worth - I already have an Iphone but only use 10% of the features that in it.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Mac Cult

Postby ibarakishi » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:11 am

its not worth it imo. this is coming from a longtime mac user who actively writes, records, and releases music consistently and works on visual stuff too. my next system will be switching over to a pc. i could make a long post about this, but the short answer is it isn't worth it and i don't want to support apple anymore when they consistently have shown that they don't care or want to develop pro consumer products. the hype isn't real.

as for reaper, it isn't hard to get into. there are a million tutorials on youtube and again, it is by far probably the most open platform DAW available. if you need to do something, it can do it. again, this is coming from someone who started on and loved using Logic, but switched to reaper a few years ago. don't want to sound like a stan, just speaking from personal experience that reaper is amazing and if you are actually looking to get stuff done with no nonsense and the company itself actually updates the platform based on user feedback actively with zero paywalls, etc. for upgrades or new versions. I would way rather throw money at them than Logic, and i enjoy using it more than logic too overall regardless of cost, etc. Also with reaper, it needs next to nothing to run it on just about any system. im guessing whatever you own currently could run it if you are doing simple recording.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby MaxMaps » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:22 pm

ibarakishi wrote:its not worth it imo. this is coming from a longtime mac user who actively writes, records, and releases music consistently and works on visual stuff too. my next system will be switching over to a pc. i could make a long post about this, but the short answer is it isn't worth it and i don't want to support apple anymore when they consistently have shown that they don't care or want to develop pro consumer products. the hype isn't real.

as for reaper, it isn't hard to get into. there are a million tutorials on youtube and again, it is by far probably the most open platform DAW available. if you need to do something, it can do it. again, this is coming from someone who started on and loved using Logic, but switched to reaper a few years ago. don't want to sound like a stan, just speaking from personal experience that reaper is amazing and if you are actually looking to get stuff done with no nonsense and the company itself actually updates the platform based on user feedback actively with zero paywalls, etc. for upgrades or new versions. I would way rather throw money at them than Logic, and i enjoy using it more than logic too overall regardless of cost, etc. Also with reaper, it needs next to nothing to run it on just about any system. im guessing whatever you own currently could run it if you are doing simple recording.

This is great input thank you. What I plan to do is simple, and while my current laptop should be fine, the battery life is a real drag. It’s served me well for a 650.00 computer, so up grading will be all about battery life and the amount of storage I can put in it.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:03 am

I changed to Mac 2011 and would never go back. Had a Macbook that worked great for 10 years. Changed over to a Mac Mini with the M1 chip because the Macbook was getting too slow for video editing.

Logic is mostly brilliant to work with, and occasionally frustrating. I guess like most DAWs
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby manymanyhaha » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:48 pm

Reaper is indeed really easy for bread and butter stuff, and has an extensive amount of features for when you want to get complicated.

Haven't used a Mac in, oh, 25 years but I will say this: If you are going to do midi, Apple has done a solid to its users by making midi much easier to work with than Windows. But if you aren't going to be doing a lot of midi in different software programs that are trying to communicate and sync with each other, I am not aware of a reason to go with Macs for basic DAW work, over Windows. But I'm a sheltered mac-ignorant..........

Edit: Whoops, sorry, just saw this was two months ago. Manymany apologies.....
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording