In need of advice: looking to try an amateur recording

Moderator: Ghost Hip

In need of advice: looking to try an amateur recording

Postby HAVN » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 pm

I have a decent space and lots of song ideas that I've been kicking around 10-15 years. Since I can't find the right people to play with, I'm going to make a go at recording an album myself. I have no notions of churning out a masterpiece in my basement -- it'll be an adventure and I'm genuinely interested in seeing what I can come up with.

I need recommendations for:

1) Interface: Looking for something that'll allow me to do at least four simultaneous channels. Apogee Quartet looks pretty cool and sounds like it has good mic preamps. Can someone school me?
2) Overheads: Seems like there are all sorts of opinions on this subject. How are the SM81s?

I have a relatively new Mac so everything will be recorded on that. Thinking Logic as far as software goes. My budget is probably in the $2000 to $2500 to get off the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions you have on this front.
Last edited by HAVN on Mon May 09, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAVN

committed
committed

Re: In need of guidance...

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:52 am

If you believe you need four, get six or eight. Trust me!

And mic-wise, they'll work. I haven't had to mic drums in years, so others might offer cheaper or more varied options.

Software et al I'm going to be worthless on, as I will never use a Mac!
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HAVN » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:56 am

rfurtkamp wrote:If you believe you need four, get six or eight. Trust me!

And mic-wise, they'll work. I haven't had to mic drums in years, so others might offer cheaper or more varied options.

Software et al I'm going to be worthless on, as I will never use a Mac!

Only problem is that price seems to go up exponentially--thanks for the advice, though.

Anyone have any thoughts on drum overheads?
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm

You end up in mid-range interfaces (300-600) but that'll get you 6-8 easily on any platform.

I've got 16 in one unit, and another 8 I can chain in as needed as discrete units.

Remember that you should be able to chain interfaces (from what I understand it's MUCH easier in iOS).
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:24 pm

A great option for a mac user is the Resident Audio T4. They dropped to $250 recently. I get 0 latency with my MacBook pro recording all 4 simultaneously.

As for overheads, I really like my Cascade Fat Head II's. They are ribbon mics, something to keep in mind. B&H has a great price on them currently (same with the T4).
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echoraven » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 am

On the interface make sure it's class compliant. I have an Akai EiePro (4 inputs) and love it sexually, but it's not class compliant so one day it'll be obsolete so I've stopped doing any major updates to my mac's software. ..but the connectivity is AWESOME!
On recording software. Consider Reason. For $60 it can't be beat. There are full blown studios using this and at the price it should have a larger installed user base in case you run into issues and/or questions.
echoraven

committed
committed

Postby Psyre » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm not sure, but I think echoraven is referring to Reaper, not Reason. Reaper is a great program and is an optional $60, but if you already have a mac, I think Logic really out performs Reaper as far as ease of use and workflow.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echoraven » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Psyre wrote:I'm not sure, but I think echoraven is referring to Reaper, not Reason. Reaper is a great program and is an optional $60, but if you already have a mac, I think Logic really out performs Reaper as far as ease of use and workflow.

He's right and I'm a dumbass.
echoraven

committed
committed

Postby HAVN » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Lots of good food for thought here, I'll look at all of this, including the interface.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby GardenoftheDead » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:28 pm

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clarett8PreX

The SM81s will get the job for the overhead/hi-hat mic purpose. Could also go for these with a little extra $$$ http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NT5
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Fuzz_Pi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Do you plan to only use overhead mics or overheads + kick & snare close mics?

In case of the latter I'd use a shure SM57 (could use on Guitar as well) on the snare, Shure SM7 (great on Bass and Vocals) on the kick, in conjunction with overheads setup in Recorderman technique. I've gotten some of my best drum sounds with just 4 mics in this configuration.

Have you considered renting mics also? It'd be a huge quality jump for not too much cost if you rented a pair of Neumann KM184s to use as overheads.
Fuzz_Pi

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby db3jed » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:31 pm

On a Mac, Logic is tough to beat.
Reaper is a good alternative (and inexpensive) but the Mac updates tend to lag behind the Windows version so it always felt like I was working on a beta version.
I moved on to Logic and never looked back.

I use a Roland OctaCapture and can vouch for it.
I've used a bunch of other interfaces through the years and frankly you couldn't pay me to switch.
Rock solid, bullet proof, pick your adjective; this thing has been stable & reliable and I get along well with the preamps.
A buddy of mine has the Roland QuadCapture and reports a similar experience.
Another friend has been using an Apogee Duet with excellent results.

The SM81 will work fine as an overhead (and will double nicely for any acoustic guitar work you might do) but for the price of one of them (+/- a few bucks) you could pick up a pair of mics from one of the more inexpensive brands (MXL, CAD, sE, Rode, etc.).
There's tons of reviews and discussions out there on the cheaper mics.
Just a thought.
I personally have used a pair of old Radio Shack PZMs as overheads for eons now.
I also use a pair of MXL 2003A large diaphragm mics on OH every once in a while also; depends on the room.
The 2003A is one of the most under-the-radar mics being made right now.
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
db3jed

uncommitted
uncommitted

Location: North Louisiana. Yeah, it's a seperate state from South Louisiana.

Postby rfurtkamp » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:44 pm

The Roland interfaces are rock-solid on PC or Mac, they're what I recommend to non-techie friends who don't want to deal with configuration.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HAVN » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:02 pm

db3jed wrote:I use a Roland OctaCapture and can vouch for it.
I've used a bunch of other interfaces through the years and frankly you couldn't pay me to switch.
Rock solid, bullet proof, pick your adjective; this thing has been stable & reliable and I get along well with the preamps.
A buddy of mine has the Roland QuadCapture and reports a similar experience.
Another friend has been using an Apogee Duet with excellent results.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just submitted an offer on one of these.

Still looking around for mic solutions.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby HAVN » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Managed to get it for $270. Seems like a good price to me!
HAVN

committed
committed

Next

Return to Tech & Recording