Tape loop dudes, I need your help.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tape loop dudes, I need your help.

Postby Psyre » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:54 pm

So I've started doing casette loops. No problems at all with a basic 6 Second loop, however I've seen some with routing that allows for 30 Seconds. The one thing I can't figure out is how to fix the additional spindles to the cassette. Everyone leaves that part out. Do any of you know how to get something a little closer to this?

Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Tape loop dudes, I need your help.

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:08 am

Get a needle or nail really hot and push it through almost to the other side [or all the way through]. Cut the excess...

Or find those cool Ikea like screws with an inside threat and smooth outside.

I haven't done either..just suggestions
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Psyre » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

Great suggestions at that. I'll give it a go.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Keep us posted! I tried to play a few times and didn't have great luck making clean splices or getting the right tension on the loop. All tips and tricks are welcome. :)
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 pm

I was thinking that you could probably rig up some neat little tensioners with the little springs they use in the lids of rubbermaid trashcans or like a walkman or something (v-shaped with the loop in the middle).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Psyre » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:18 pm

Will do, I just aquired a nice mass to canabalize shells and tape. I havnt haduch time, as I've been setting up the new recording/jam space, but I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whitecapsof » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am

where do you guys buy tapes from?
whitecapsof

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 am

Wal mart? Radio Shack?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm

whitecapsof wrote:where do you guys buy tapes from?

It's pretty damn hard to find new tapes under 90mins, and stores that happen to have them (not online) charge like $8 for 3 basic speech quality tape.

So I mainly keep an eye out for some I've specific ones I've found that I like and sell in bulk cheap on ebay.

As for the rest of my supply, I work at Goodwill and we don't sell cassettes, which is sweet for me because I can get all of it that comes in for next to nothing, I got a stack of 12 brand new Sony 90's for $1.50. Helps to feel a little better about the miniscule paychecks.

My favorite tape to buy new are the midline Fuji tapes, they seem to sell in small bulks for $1 or so a tape.

Also, sweet avatar, I was just listening to that album last night, and California now hah.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whitecapsof » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm

it didn't even occur to me until right now that 90min tapes are less cost effective if i'm using them for tape loops...haha

I picked up a couple sony uxs 90min chrome tapes for $3 each from a local record store...not a great deal (actually it looks like people are selling them on ebay for ~$10 each so nvm) but I needed something I could use to mess around with the portastudio I just bought.

And yeah I got really into bungle last winter. I think I like California better, but Disco might be the most interesting
whitecapsof

committed
committed

Postby Faldoe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:15 am

Mr. Bungle is too good. I'm gonna have to revisit the tape loop stuff. I have an old 4 track that should be put to use. I tried making some tape loops but didn't realize there are ways to make longer loops!!!!
Faldoe

Postby sonidero » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:39 am

Breauxxx, find cassette singles... Also goodwill gets a shit ton of tape a and you should get them all... I worked at the one over here doing media and still have tapes I haven't used yet... Pop an ad on CL in the wanted section and ask people for free tapes; again still haven't gotten to that pile...

Old tapes are the best to record over cause sometimes you get the remenants on the bleed through...

There's a shop down the road that still has the blank clear 30 min blanks in bulk if you need me to go get some...

Holla...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Faldoe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Dawg. I got tapes but are there special types that have more pulleys that can't be used for longer loops or are people modding existing tape casings for longer loops?
Faldoe

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:55 pm

whats good w/ those answering machine tapes? they are endless and can be a couple minutes long
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whitecapsof » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Faldoe wrote:Dawg. I got tapes but are there special types that have more pulleys that can't be used for longer loops or are people modding existing tape casings for longer loops?

Pretty sure it's the latter. Seems like too much work to me :hobbes:
whitecapsof

committed
committed

Next

Return to Tech & Recording