856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Moderator: multi_s

Re: 856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Postby cosmicevan » Mon May 17, 2021 9:53 pm

Podicle wrote:Not sure if developers are still monitoring this or whether they are intending to do more firmware updates, but a feature that would be really useful is to mute the two tracks other than the one you have selected - i.e. solo the one selected. I am constantly having to switch back to turn the gain down on the other tracks, and invariably forget to switch back to the channel I think I m editing. A shortcut to solo would be very helpful.

That would be great. I still struggle with the volume jumps when toggling between Ns if working on a recorded loop/sample.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Fuzzharm » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am

Hi all, I just joined because I want to talk about this pedal (well, among other things). So I just got an 856 a week ago and it's amazing but does take time to learn. My first sessions with the 856 left me feeling disoriented - confused but giddy with the possibilities. I'd wanted a looper but knew I wouldn't be satisfied with its limits. The 856 delivers in the left field looping category. The only thing missing is reverse (as others have mentioned). I've been a guitarist forever but have left it and come back more than once. After some time devoted to synths, and modular synths, I've come back to guitar again. However, even though guitar remains much more expressive and dynamic, I wish for the ability to step outside the sound and manipulate it, as you can with analog synthesizers. Well, the 856 is getting me close to my ideal of folding a guitar into modular synthesis by taking a snippet of guitar sound and manipulating it against itself. Now I'm just imagining the 856 having separate outputs for each N that could be fed into pedals and then into a mixer. Is this what Max/MSP is like? In any case, I like limits... so I respect the idiosyncrasies that come with not being able to control every detail and staying with the controls on the 856 itself instead of breaking out into full MIDI control.

A few things early in my 856 journey that I'd like to note, and which might help others...

1) Not screwing up the recording-set loop tempo. Record in R=B mode to set the base loop and the beat tempo, but then switch to FREE record mode before overdubbing using the FBK control. This way, you set the initial loop time (R=B) and do not reset it when overdubbing because FREE keeps whatever tempo has been set. However, I am having some issues with not getting the timing of the overdub perfectly, and ending up with audio drops as the loop end and beginning fade out and in.

2) Avoiding volume jumps when switching between N. Someone (cosmicevan?) mentioned that if you hold the FBK switch while turning the GAIN knob, the gain is unaffected. This is absolutely invaluable when switching between N where, for example, N1 might have GAIN at max but N2 has GAIN up halfway. You switch from N1 to N2, hold down FBK while turning GAIN to halfway, then release FBK and manipulate GAIN starting from the correct initial location for N2 (halfway in this case) - voila, no volume jump. This trick of holding down FBK and turning a knob without affecting it works for any parameter. Crucial! The trick, though, is you have to remember the settings for your individual N in order to set the knobs in the right locations. Close enough is close enough here, and this trick works great.

3) The limiter. Apparently there is a built in limiter and you'll definitely hear it in action if slamming all N at max gain. Gain staging is important to keep in mind especially when the layering starts getting intense.

4) Footswitch. I need the 856 on the tabletop but also with footswitches on the floor. Just got the Singular dual footswitch that's made for the Beat Buddy. It was cheap secondhand and works fine. Connect the footswitch to the expression pedal in of the 856 and set the internal dip switches from expression pedal to foot switch operation and you're good. Worked perfectly.
Fuzzharm

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby multi_s » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:46 am

Fuzzharm wrote:Hi all, I just joined because I want to talk about this pedal (well, among other things). So I just got an 856 a week ago and it's amazing but does take time to learn. My first sessions with the 856 left me feeling disoriented - confused but giddy with the possibilities. I'd wanted a looper but knew I wouldn't be satisfied with its limits. The 856 delivers in the left field looping category. The only thing missing is reverse (as others have mentioned). I've been a guitarist forever but have left it and come back more than once. After some time devoted to synths, and modular synths, I've come back to guitar again. However, even though guitar remains much more expressive and dynamic, I wish for the ability to step outside the sound and manipulate it, as you can with analog synthesizers. Well, the 856 is getting me close to my ideal of folding a guitar into modular synthesis by taking a snippet of guitar sound and manipulating it against itself. Now I'm just imagining the 856 having separate outputs for each N that could be fed into pedals and then into a mixer. Is this what Max/MSP is like? In any case, I like limits... so I respect the idiosyncrasies that come with not being able to control every detail and staying with the controls on the 856 itself instead of breaking out into full MIDI control.

A few things early in my 856 journey that I'd like to note, and which might help others...

1) Not screwing up the recording-set loop tempo. Record in R=B mode to set the base loop and the beat tempo, but then switch to FREE record mode before overdubbing using the FBK control. This way, you set the initial loop time (R=B) and do not reset it when overdubbing because FREE keeps whatever tempo has been set. However, I am having some issues with not getting the timing of the overdub perfectly, and ending up with audio drops as the loop end and beginning fade out and in.

2) Avoiding volume jumps when switching between N. Someone (cosmicevan?) mentioned that if you hold the FBK switch while turning the GAIN knob, the gain is unaffected. This is absolutely invaluable when switching between N where, for example, N1 might have GAIN at max but N2 has GAIN up halfway. You switch from N1 to N2, hold down FBK while turning GAIN to halfway, then release FBK and manipulate GAIN starting from the correct initial location for N2 (halfway in this case) - voila, no volume jump. This trick of holding down FBK and turning a knob without affecting it works for any parameter. Crucial! The trick, though, is you have to remember the settings for your individual N in order to set the knobs in the right locations. Close enough is close enough here, and this trick works great.

3) The limiter. Apparently there is a built in limiter and you'll definitely hear it in action if slamming all N at max gain. Gain staging is important to keep in mind especially when the layering starts getting intense.

4) Footswitch. I need the 856 on the tabletop but also with footswitches on the floor. Just got the Singular dual footswitch that's made for the Beat Buddy. It was cheap secondhand and works fine. Connect the footswitch to the expression pedal in of the 856 and set the internal dip switches from expression pedal to foot switch operation and you're good. Worked perfectly.

Hi, Thanks for your review and for those tips!
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby njanssen137 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Hello, joined ILF recently to look at the thread and all the resources pertaining to the CT5 as it's the most fun I've had with a piece of gear in a while. This seemed like the most appropriate place to ask, but is there any plan to do another run of the 856? I'd really like one, and even though the used prices aren't terrible I'd really rather buy one new, from the horse's mouth so to speak.
[bandcamp]https://njanssen.bandcamp.com/music[/bandcamp]
njanssen137

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby multi_s » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:45 am

njanssen137 wrote:Hello, joined ILF recently to look at the thread and all the resources pertaining to the CT5 as it's the most fun I've had with a piece of gear in a while. This seemed like the most appropriate place to ask, but is there any plan to do another run of the 856? I'd really like one, and even though the used prices aren't terrible I'd really rather buy one new, from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be any made this year/soon.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby droolmaster0 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 pm

I just picked up the 856 and also the cto5 again after a couple of years. The 856 is obviously a v2, but is there any way of determining easily what firmware is installed on it? I recall that there are instructions here to update it on a mac, but i also remember that it is not the friendliest procedure (i'm not handy at this stuff) and would rather not bother if i already have the latest one.
droolmaster0

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby multi_s » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:54 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:I just picked up the 856 and also the cto5 again after a couple of years. The 856 is obviously a v2, but is there any way of determining easily what firmware is installed on it? I recall that there are instructions here to update it on a mac, but i also remember that it is not the friendliest procedure (i'm not handy at this stuff) and would rather not bother if i already have the latest one.

IIRC something that was added in 1.6 that is missing from previous fw was the feedback modes. Prior to 1.6 I don't think there is a way to get the feedback led to blink (feedback is either on or off in old versions, but in 1.6 has 2 modes and off).

So in theory if you can get into the feedback mode where the led blinks, then you have 1.6

Code: Select all
FADE/GAIN/FBK
In the middle position, the GAIN knob controls the loudness of the note set.
In the top position, this controls the fading of repeated notes. If turned counter-clockwise, the repeated notes fade-out and if turned clockwise, the repeated notes fade-in.
The FBK position can be clicked, which will cycle through feedback modes. If the FBK light is constantly illuminated, when recording, the output of N1 is also recorded. If the feedback light is flashing, the output of all notes is also recorded. If the feedback light is off, only the input to the pedal is recorded. FBK can also be used to reset note parameters, see STRIDE/ABS/UNI.

Its not that difficult to flash it with mac though. You can email support@mtlasm.com if you need assistance with that.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to Montreal Assembly