856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Moderator: multi_s

Re: 856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Postby multi_s » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:29 am

swimming.away wrote:did instructions for mac osx firmware upgrade ever show up? also, has anyone else ran into issues with LEDs? REC is always flickering on mine when it should be solid...

You can use the mac os instructions for the ct5 but use the 856 pedal and 856 firmware instead,

it is at the bottom of this page

https://mtlasm.com/count-to-5-firmware-update/

if you have a hardware malfunction you can open a support ticket here

https://mtlasm.com/support/support-ticket-request/
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Podicle » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi. I recently purchased one of these crazy devices and I have been trying to get my head around it. It's been a lot of fun! Just a couple of quick queries:

Is the time section independent for each note, or is it shared across notes? If I change the number of repeats and quantisation on N2, for example, does this apply on N3? I get that N1 works differently to set overall tempo.

Same question for the pitch. I assumed it would work differently for each note, but I swear I've heard N2 change when I adjust pitch for N3!

Do delays ever run longer than the length of the sample in N1? Or each time the sample starts, does the whole thing reset? So if I set N2 to have 4-5 delays, will it play out all those delays, despite the loop restarting? I occasionally have repeats seemingly appear out of nowhere several loops later, despite not having skip chosen.

All of these, in theory, can be answered by listening to the unit, however as anyone who has tried one knows, things get insane pretty quickly, usually in a good way!

Thanks in advance.
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Dandolin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Welcome to ILF!
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Podicle » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks!
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Podicle wrote:Hi. I recently purchased one of these crazy devices and I have been trying to get my head around it. It's been a lot of fun! Just a couple of quick queries:

Is the time section independent for each note, or is it shared across notes? If I change the number of repeats and quantisation on N2, for example, does this apply on N3? I get that N1 works differently to set overall tempo.

Same question for the pitch. I assumed it would work differently for each note, but I swear I've heard N2 change when I adjust pitch for N3!

Do delays ever run longer than the length of the sample in N1? Or each time the sample starts, does the whole thing reset? So if I set N2 to have 4-5 delays, will it play out all those delays, despite the loop restarting? I occasionally have repeats seemingly appear out of nowhere several loops later, despite not having skip chosen.

All of these, in theory, can be answered by listening to the unit, however as anyone who has tried one knows, things get insane pretty quickly, usually in a good way!

Thanks in advance.

They are all independent of each other. When you set the switch to N2, you are working exclusively on N2. There are some global parameters, but I believe those mostly live on N1 (like tempo). My recommendation for learning the pedal is to work with simple vocal clips. It makes it a lot easier to understand what is going on when you hear your voice speaking a sentence vs music. The 856 for Zellersasn is quite a journey. The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Podicle » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:43 am

Thanks cosmicevan. I've been using short, 3-4 note arpeggios and I think I have a reasonable undeerstanding now of how it works, not that I could replicate a sound in my head, but I can at least steer things in the right direction.
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Never » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:32 am

based on the comments I'm reading (like cosmicevan's), it sounds like this machine might have a mind (or organic quality) of its own / be more of a partner than a tool -- is it hard to make the same thing twice? that's the kind of gear I'm looking for, something I could never sit down ahead of time and fully plan out, so that it forces me to pay more attention in the moment. (especially if I can have some control over something like rhythm relatively steadily, so there's some structure as a contrast/skeleton to the inability to fully control other things.)

would this be something good for that type of playing? where I could start a recording without a plan, listen closely to what's happening, and see what I get in the end? I was afraid it would be the opposite, like an incredibly powerful tool that you would have to plan ahead and be very intentional with

(to be clear, I don't mind a steep learning curve at all)
Never

committed
committed

Postby Podicle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 am

From my limited experience it seems to be exactly what you want. It would be very hard to start from a set endpoint and work backwards to create that. You instead start tweaking and follow your nose until you create something unexpected.
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:53 pm

it is definitely difficult to do the same thing twice unless you practice it...but there is a learning curve to getting your head around it. Once you do, there is a TON of stuff to explore. I like to create rhythmic things from a captured sample and then jam to that.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Podicle » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:40 am

A couple of other things:
I have noticed that the pedal isn't clearing between loops. My understanding is that in A=B mode, stopping playback and recording a new loop should clear the old settings. That isn't happening and I'm having to pull the power to clear things, otherwise as soon as I stop recording it starts playing back my previous samples. It wasn't doing that when ai was playing around with the unit a couple of weeks ago. Very strange.

Also, I'm convinced that the delta knob for N1 doesn't work as described in the 1.6 manual. In A=b mode with the tempos switch on Free, it is meant to give a +/-10% tempo change. Instead, it causes radical changes, slowing and speeding the tempo beyond any other control in the unit.

Any thoughts?
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Podicle wrote:A couple of other things:
I have noticed that the pedal isn't clearing between loops. My understanding is that in A=B mode, stopping playback and recording a new loop should clear the old settings. That isn't happening and I'm having to pull the power to clear things, otherwise as soon as I stop recording it starts playing back my previous samples. It wasn't doing that when ai was playing around with the unit a couple of weeks ago. Very strange.

Also, I'm convinced that the delta knob for N1 doesn't work as described in the 1.6 manual. In A=b mode with the tempos switch on Free, it is meant to give a +/-10% tempo change. Instead, it causes radical changes, slowing and speeding the tempo beyond any other control in the unit.

Any thoughts?

I've definitely noticed tempo changes not always working as I expected. I never actually pinned it down, but always assumed it was pilot error like I didn't have it on N1 or didn't have all the switches set to FREE...or perhaps I was expecting changes to happen instantly but they were waiting for the clip to finish playing before coming into play. Best bet is to carefully target the functionality and use a vocal clip to experiment with and then report back. I'm always too far gone from my clip when oddities happen to know if they are me or the device...I've learned to live with the surprises and react accordingly.

As for clearing loops/settings...I keep a preset saved of what I consider my starting ground for working w the Zellersasn. I have never had audio appear when I didn't expect it...but I'd guess it has to do with the overdub/feedback functionality. Try more carefully and deliberately...I'd be surprised if things magically changed for you without you updating anything. It's more than likely something changed in your workflow.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Podicle » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Playing with it now with single note loops. In N1, delta is definitely not working as intended. None of this is an issue, as I seem to always be able to do what I want. Just wasn't sure if there were undocumented changes. The reset thing has definitely changed in the last couple of weeks. Pedal is in the same position on the same pedal board using the same power supply. In R=B when I stop recording a new loop it is instantly applying my previous settings to my new loop. I can reset it easily, but it certainly has changed from a few weeks ago. Maybe I should re-update the firmware?
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Yeah delta doesn’t work as it should in N1 for tempo. It seems to me that if I toggle R=B to FREE and leverage the TMPO clockwise it will consistently speed things up. My workflow has been to use quantize since the delta has always worked as expected for me there in doubling and tripling the rhythm...but taking a closer look, I am liking the response better in FREE / FREE where it seems to be setting the number of loops/minute.

Scott, would love some clarification around how to increase tempo of loop playback when in R=B mode. Assuming delta and TMPO are set at noon when you record the loop, how should these knobs react when in FREE mode on N1? Skip and quantize work as described but tempo seems to be buggy. Please advise when you catch a moment...for now I am working w the TMPO in FREE / FREE to speed things up reliably.

Such a cool device
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Podicle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 am

Not sure if developers are still monitoring this or whether they are intending to do more firmware updates, but a feature that would be really useful is to mute the two tracks other than the one you have selected - i.e. solo the one selected. I am constantly having to switch back to turn the gain down on the other tracks, and invariably forget to switch back to the channel I think I m editing. A shortcut to solo would be very helpful.
Podicle

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby multi_s » Sun May 16, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. IF we make another major firmware release I will try to add something like that.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly