856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Moderator: multi_s

Re: 856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Postby The Eristic » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:21 am

I really need to get a remote switch to use it without injuring myself in my current application, anybody using a particular one and/or have any recommendations? Just a dual momentary TRS of some kind, I guess?
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby multi_s » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:07 am

Hi,

If you need a schematic for the required box or want me to make one let me know. It's quite simple.

S
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Phuzzy856 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Worked with Zellersasn for the first time since the honeymoon was cut short a while back.

lol, i'm sitting here thinking of something to say...

THE PROCESS of getting to a 'setting' in FREE, and then going into AREC to "jam" is 'fun',... but, of course, I forgot to hit SAVE!

And I'm having problems specifically hearing the result of what I THOUGHT it was going to sound like, but that may be 'guitar' oriented... the 'mushiness' of guitar vs voice, say.

DOES ANYONE HAVE SPECIFIC 'PITCH 1-6' PITCH SEQUENCES THEY LIKE TO SHARE? I've been keeping:

N1 = no change
N2 = P1 = -12
P2 = no change
P3 = +12

N3 = P1 = -4/5
P2 = no change
P3 = +4/5

Frankly, I feel like I'm just flailing and grasping for straws here. I seem to have had more success with +12 at the end of N3 instead of N2...?? I WANT TO BE MORE CREATIVE!- but this box can be a little poker-faced!

Also, I'm feeling OBLIGATED to use ALL the Pitches, just cuz they're there, which is silly, but... uh..mm...
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby Phuzzy856 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Scott, are you inspired by David Cronenberg? serious question... I get suuuch a feeling from your pedals!!!
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby cosmicevan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:01 pm

I tend to do three pitches guesstimated to be at the 3rd, 5th, 12th...or just 3 random spots between 0 and +12 w one being on +12. I vary if they are all up or up down up or whatever.

I find the real magic of building something in R=B or FREE (I don't use FREE, except when mangling tempo settings) and then taking it to AREC is that AREC will vary bigly depending on the length of your recording. If you do a shorter phrase than you built it with, it will sound different because everything will be jammed into a tighter package so to speak. I find that when I work with a phrase captured from R=B I end up building something very rhythmic but when I take it to AREC it becomes very melodic. Such a wonderful box.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MeatWhiplash » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:11 am

Received my 856 and had some time to mess around with it. Already seeing the inspiration this thing will bring.
I learned guitar as a teenager and then became more immersed in DJ/sample based production during my college years. After taking much time off from making music to focus on visual arts, I've found myself back making music again. I feel like the 856 can be the link between both of these worlds.

I did a lot of prep work before the pedal arrived, studying the manual, reading forums, and watching videos. My first experience with it was less daunting than I had imagined. It almost seems like pedal plays you, not the other way around. There are already a ton of ideas I would like to try.

One question I have, which seems very simple but I haven't been able to find clear guidance on is the Noteset function (N1,N2,N3) and how it relates to the Feedback when function when recording on top of an already existing loop.

So if you are in r=b mode and record you initial loop, it lands on N1 correct? Then you flip to Arec mode, flip on Feedback(solid light) to record on top of the initial loop. Is this new loop only going to N1 or N2 or N3, based on which switch you have engaged? And what is the difference in the recording function if you flip the Feedback switch to a blinking light?

Thanks in advance!
MeatWhiplash

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:40 am

MeatWhiplash wrote:Received my 856 and had some time to mess around with it. Already seeing the inspiration this thing will bring.
I learned guitar as a teenager and then became more immersed in DJ/sample based production during my college years. After taking much time off from making music to focus on visual arts, I've found myself back making music again. I feel like the 856 can be the link between both of these worlds.

I did a lot of prep work before the pedal arrived, studying the manual, reading forums, and watching videos. My first experience with it was less daunting than I had imagined. It almost seems like pedal plays you, not the other way around. There are already a ton of ideas I would like to try.

One question I have, which seems very simple but I haven't been able to find clear guidance on is the Noteset function (N1,N2,N3) and how it relates to the Feedback when function when recording on top of an already existing loop.

So if you are in r=b mode and record you initial loop, it lands on N1 correct? Then you flip to Arec mode, flip on Feedback(solid light) to record on top of the initial loop. Is this new loop only going to N1 or N2 or N3, based on which switch you have engaged? And what is the difference in the recording function if you flip the Feedback switch to a blinking light?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried your use case, but theoretically, N1 is what you recorded...N2 and N3 are copies of what's recorded...so if you add to N1, whatever you've set to happen on the N2 and N3 copies would happen to whatever you did to N1...if you blanked out N1, then N2/N3 would blank out, if you re-recorded N1, N2/N3 would be modified versions of N1 based on how you have N2/N3 set up. This is how the presets work too, so if you save some and toggle between it applies your N2/N3 onto whatever your N1 is.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MeatWhiplash » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Ok thanks. What I'm gathering is no matter what any recording is applied to N1 and then N2/N3 are duplicates of the same recording, but with whatever parameters you have applied to them respectively.
It actually dawned on me early to just use the gain to turn down N1 and listen to how the recordings are being applied to N2 and N3. Haven't had time to mess with it yet.

With this line of thinking, am I right to assume that when the feedback light is solid, it means the recording of N1/N2/N3 is being done and will be applied to all of the Notesets. And when the feedback light is blinking it means only N1 is being recorded and whatever is happening N2/N3 is muted?
MeatWhiplash

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:00 am

MeatWhiplash wrote:Ok thanks. What I'm gathering is no matter what any recording is applied to N1 and then N2/N3 are duplicates of the same recording, but with whatever parameters you have applied to them respectively.
It actually dawned on me early to just use the gain to turn down N1 and listen to how the recordings are being applied to N2 and N3. Haven't had time to mess with it yet.

With this line of thinking, am I right to assume that when the feedback light is solid, it means the recording of N1/N2/N3 is being done and will be applied to all of the Notesets. And when the feedback light is blinking it means only N1 is being recorded and whatever is happening N2/N3 is muted?

The only advice I have is to use a voice speaking to experiment. It is way easier to understand what is happening to a vocal phrase vs a musical phrase. I'm not certain on the feedback light. I don't often add to my loops, I record em and mangle em and occasionally use AREC.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MeatWhiplash » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:36 pm

Great advice, using vocals really helped delineate how the parameters and recordings functions worked. I'm still a bit confused about AREC setting, but overall it's making a lot more sense. Just have to put in the time.

I've figured out how to sync the 856 beat clock with Maschine Mikro, which helps with keeping it synced with a beat. Still need to play with getting the transport controls to work properly and trigger the 856 to playback.
MeatWhiplash

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:30 pm

AREC is cool, it's kinda like a rolling sample / loop that at any point you can hit play and have it just loop. The cool part about AREC is that you set the size by hitting recrod and then record again. Whatever mangling you did to your settings are now applied in a rolling fashion. It's super cool.

The main way I use the pedal is to capture a sonic moment and then turn that moment into a rhythmic monster leveraging all 3 Ns, tempo, repeats / time to repeate, swing, pos on my sample, offset on my rhythms and pitch (particularly where I work with repeats in N2/N3). I can get down w stride as well, but don't mess w much else. I work up a rhythm, then jam on that for a while, then jump on AREC and in walks Mr Happy Accident. I need to get into the MIDI side of this and all the preset possibilities. There is so much brilliance in this pedal that no one has really dabbled with.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MeatWhiplash » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Ok I need to mess with Arec more. Generally I start in R=B mode, then go along pretty much the same path as you messing with parameters. I have a decent handle on what most of them will do except stride, which seems to have a mind of it's own. One of the biggest helps for me was turning down the gain on all but one of the N's and then playing with parameters. Then I repeat the process for the other N's and slowly turn up gain so I can see how they layer. Eventually I get some kind of loop rhythm going. From there I switch to Free mode and add notes/chords on top of the loop.
If I end up with something I like I record it out to a Zoom with the hopes someday it may be the foundation for a track.

When I have used Arec it's after I have that initial loop going from R=B mode. Usually the whole things just falls apart from there. I need to try to start the recording with Arec and keep going changing the loop timing as you say.
I agree this pedal is beyond brilliant, the capabilities seem endless. As someone who has been using samplers since the MPC 2000 days,it's opening up a whole new world.
MeatWhiplash

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Stride is awesome. It moves the selected portion of audio through your sample, so if you have a 5 second sample and trim it down to 1 sec via LEN stride determines the audio played back by scrubbing that 1 second of playback across your sample...if that makes sense?
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Phuzzy856 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:37 am

Like in the Video Tutorial:

When you're in AREC, and you're counting off the 'Silent Loop'...

a) When you have N1 Feedback engaged (solid White light) BEFORE you start your SilentLoop, the Feedback goes on and on and on and on for a seemingly... I don't know, is it Infinite? I sure do hesitate playing more stuff, as it gets out of control right away.

b) When you have N1 Feedback engaged (solid White light) AFTER you've made your SilentLoop, the Feedback sounds just like a regular Delay on N1... great, to my ears! THIS is currently my favourite feature of Zelly, which is kind of embarrassing, but, it IS cool!

What's going on there?
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby swimming.away » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:15 am

did instructions for mac osx firmware upgrade ever show up? also, has anyone else ran into issues with LEDs? REC is always flickering on mine when it should be solid...
swimming.away

uncommitted
uncommitted

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly