Thinking about cutting a pickguard out of laminate—bad idea?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Thinking about cutting a pickguard out of laminate—bad idea?

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:11 pm

I’ve really been charmed with the idea of using a vintage-ish boomerang laminate sample from Wilsonarr that I could spend 50 cents on at the big box hardware store to cut a trashcaster pickguard out of. The price is right but I see stuff about wearing out carbide cutting tools to work it. So is this just a stupid folly?

(I’m tempted to use the EVH “Frankenstein” style broken-off control portion idea to do electronics and direct mount pickups in the swimming pool while I figure out the complement and wiring I want. So we’re not talking the most extensive and precise crafting to nail it.)
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Thinking about cutting a pickguard out of laminate—bad i

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:43 pm

We are just talking about countertop/table top lament? Should be fine with any wood working machinery. My memory of working with the stuff is it is very brittle, you usually make "cuts" by scoring the back and snapping, edge cleanup and smoothing after you rout the edge is traditionally done with a file. I'd recommend using a router [you will notice that small one-handed routers are called laminate trimmers ;) ]/drum and spindle sanders for working it for curved shaped. if you must use a saw.. use something with really fine teeth like a metal cutting blade, that way it doesn't snag and create a bunch or tear-out. about dulling tools... this is why blades and bits and such are replaceable.. they always wear out do to use..
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Thinking about cutting a pickguard out of laminate—bad i

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:14 pm

Yep, countertop laminate. In any size for that sort of use it’ll cost. But 8” by 10” samples two for a buck . . . so, yeah, that doesn’t seem too discouraging.

Rick Turner had used the stuff in his Model T electric guitar, and that had made an impression on me. If I ever get around to a lap steel project, the vintage diner aesthetic seems like a good fit.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects