Drill press buying advice?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Drill press buying advice?

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:07 pm

I need to drill a neck for mounting on a body so as best not to fuck it up I’m going to get a drill press. So for light guitar DIY and some pedal build/mod stuff.

So what’s good? What’s bad? What features do I want? What features don’t matter? Should a bench-top press suffice?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Drill press buying advice?

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:12 pm

I've been using a harbor freight table top drill press for 8 years or so. Cost like $60. Have never felt the need to replace it. Probably going to buy another of the same one soon.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:21 pm

One thing, if you ever decide you want it to do more than neck stuff the distance from the bit to the post that holds the table is important like if you want to drill holes for bridges or trough body strings, most small presses don’t have enough clearance...
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Jero wrote:I've been using a harbor freight table top drill press for 8 years or so. Cost like $60. Have never felt the need to replace it. Probably going to buy another of the same one soon.

The one drill press I routinely see “that one falls apart on you” about is that one, so the vote of confidence is interesting.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:30 pm

Gone Fission wrote:
Jero wrote:I've been using a harbor freight table top drill press for 8 years or so. Cost like $60. Have never felt the need to replace it. Probably going to buy another of the same one soon.

The one drill press I routinely see “that one falls apart on you” about is that one, so the vote of confidence is interesting.

:idk: I’ve had tons of hit an miss on that stuff... I have a tabletop belt sander that is a harbor freight thingy that I’ve had for over 5 years... and I’ve worked in a shop where we tried their brad guns and were killing the things every two weeks... (not my idea to use them...) I’ve had tones of good times with craftsman stuff...

What is your budget?

As to a tabletop press. Yes they are fine, you just have to be careful on big stuff... I have a skil 3320, I’ve had it for 3 years and no issues, even while drilling 2” wide holes in rock maple...

One extra point. If you are going to be drilling mounting holes in a premade guitar neck give thought to a cheap drill press vice because holding in straight isn’t easy unless it has no fingerboard radius to make it wobble and vice will hold it by the sides of the neck and therefore square.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:09 am

Its worth it to look on craigslist for used higher end for a while imo, sometimes you can score a good deal on something like this, if you have the room for a floor press and can swing one it's worth it if you think you'll be doing more with it than drilling enclosures.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 am

On budget, don’t want to spend more than $200. A vise was on the radar. I had seen Wen’s drill press table, which doesn’t seem to care what brand you mount it on, and that seems like a nice add on.

There is always local Craigslist for a floorstander, but it’s not like I would use it that intensively or that much.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:49 pm

If you arent gonna be using a drill press day in day out, what about the portable ones that are designed to be used with a drill?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:53 am

This totally too pricy but seems cool https://toolguyd.com/woodpeckers-auto-line-drill-guide/
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:01 am

The harbor freight stuff is fine within limitations. I had the ~$200 model and while it wasn't the best I never had any issues. It comes with a warranty anyway?

I would say go on CL for something used but I've found people want too much for that kind of stuff used usually.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:12 pm

If you aren't making money on the machine the Harbor Freight press will be fine. I have drilled hundreds of pedal enclosures with one and it does the job perfectly well. Its worth noting that almost any higher quality press will be much larger which can be a hassle depending on your space.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects