Alt wood finishes

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Alt wood finishes

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:46 am

So...anybody want to have a thread where we talk about ways to finish guitar projects other than your "standard industry practices"?

I'm ok with the old standbys, but when it comes to my projects, I don't feel good about failure :lol: and there's no way I have the space/time/patience to make some of these perfect looking finishes that come on the commercial product. Plus, when it really gets down to it, I usually like finishes that don't look so...perfect, whether they're on guitars or what have you.

Also, I like the look of guitars that have been played/lived into a naturally beat-up appearance, but almost every time I look at an intentionally relic'd finish, I'm like :barf: so I don't really see this thread as being about that whole thing. But on the other hand - I am not against scheming a finish that will be...more susceptible...to relicing sooner (because, unlike our would-be dictator, I am not under any delusion that I have unlimited time to enjoy the straight-edge relicing process).

So, right now I'm researching milk paint, and liking the no-VOC lifestyle it affords.

Got me a cedar tele body with nice grain. :snax:

Thinking about darkening that grain, then dyeing that body a certain color (oh, say...purple), then splatter painting some alt colors like black, white, lavender, pink that would show up under dings and abrasions, then laying a streaky daphne-blueish milk paint over all o'that (gotta pay tribute to my patroness :D ). But I'm wondering if I'm way overthinking it. Definitely not putting any grain filler in, nor much of any kind of clear coat over the whole mess. Still thinking about stamping the whole thing with purple lizards after it's done :p

Anybody know anything about adding a patina over a finish?

Anybody care to share?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Alt wood finishes

Postby Dandolin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:34 pm

BRAMP guess someone farted?

Just remember pickled finishes. :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Not sure what you’re after exactly but some “different” finishes I’ve seen:

Milk paint on the Schorr guitars.

Whitewash thin enough to see the grain through.

Sandblasted, no grain filler, or simply unsealed and stained. Wudtone is a rubbed finish you can do yourself. I had someone spray nitro for my body without sealer or grain filler and it also got the “baseball bat” grain texture, which I love.

Splatter paint, perhaps a bright color over dark stain.

Simply apply tung oil / some other tinted oil finish, like the stuff they use for gunstocks. It stains the wood in a more traditional way, makes me think of furniture.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:41 pm

yass --all of these are worthy ty :hug:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Missed this thread. :hello:

I think you're overthinkin'. :idk: That being said, I approve of the purple. :)* :D :thumb:

Nice lookin' body. :love:

Thread needs some photographic examples of what you're goin' for. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Achtane » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:45 pm

I think there's a distinction between "distressed" and "relic" somewhere. Maybe it's in the intent. There's a difference between an "alt finish" and a guitar that looks like it's been gigged for decades but was produced last year. Don't worry about it.

Do use a blowtorch to blacken the wood grain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Thread needs some photographic examples of what you're goin' for. :snax:

haha, yeah, sure enough, but I think I'm still searchin' for inspiration :hobbes: Likin' what I'm hearin' so far - I'ma do some additional reasearch. I guess I was just hopin' folks who have good experiences with a certain technique could pop in here and drop a word (not just for my sake, but as a revolvin' isea factory) :snax:

Achtane wrote:I think there's a distinction between "distressed" and "relic" somewhere. Maybe it's in the intent. There's a difference between an "alt finish" and a guitar that looks like it's been gigged for decades but was produced last year. Don't worry about it.

Do use a
blowtorch to blacken the wood grain.

:joy: sound advice thx
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:08 pm

So, yeah, this is s'posed to be "torched satin" - it's a start....

I'm assuming this was torched per-application of the paint, a la Achtane's suggestion.... :snax:

This is fairly cool - advertised as "pickled"
I really like the galvanized-bucket-type pickguard with that....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:28 am

I'm very sick of VOC stuff too, I'm currently experimenting with water based lacquer (General Finishes Pre-Cat), the odor is very, very low (smells faintly like windex) and it cleans up with water. Only problem is it sprays like shit and takes a long time to dry, I just get non-stop fisheyes with it....need to figure out how to use it.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kosta » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 pm

I've had really good luck with Speedball screen printing ink. I diluted it with water and brushed it right on the wood with a foam brush, and then finished it with Tru Oil. Worked great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGKiyZcvZq6/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFRPuF3vZkk/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE_SuEOvZgR/

I did the top with Minwax white tint base, and also finished with Tru Oil:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGICn_0PZni/

This one I did with some raw pigments from Kremer Pigment. It's basically super saturated pigment dust. I mixed it with a little bit of pearl flake and water, applied with a foam brush, and then finished with Tru Oil. (Sorry I don't have any close-ups handy, but it's semi transparent and shows grain. That dark spot is a knot in the wood, for example.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0w2WjZnINP/

(Is there a way to embed IG images??)
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:05 pm

ooh - thanks - really digging on these; some great ideas to try, and doesn't seem too fussy or smelly at all :)*
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kosta » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Yeah exactly. Non-smelly, non-toxic ftw. I did both of those in my really small (and now slightly bigger) NYC apartments. The ink and the pigment are both water based, and the Tru Oil is fairly non-toxic and non-smelly. If you do go down the Tru Oil route, I've had great luck wiping it on in really thin coats with coffee filters. They're lint free and not very absorbent so it's hard to overload them and get too much finish on there at once. Thin coats cure faster as well.

These flexible polishing papers from Stew Mac are awesome for when you get past 800 grit sandpaper.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... apers.html
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:23 pm

awesome tip on the coffee filters - just the kind of thing I'm looking for. I have a tendency to get heavy handed sometimes, and something like this is important to me because it fool-proofs it to an extent.... TY :joy:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Feelings on “pickled” finishes? On a guitar I might try that with primer tinted blue or pink or green, not just straight up whitewash.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:32 pm

I have a schecter hellcat VI with the white finish. it's a matte finish with no grain filler. it's badass, but not for purists

not my pics but you get the idea
https://reverb.com/item/12678462-schect ... 2018-ivory
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects