Bass Issue Help

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Bass Issue Help

Postby Stinkbug » Sun May 19, 2019 4:47 pm

I was hoping to get some advice on why I could do, or what might be wrong with my brother/bass player’s bass. A few months ago at practice, it just stopped working. He kept saying he would bring it somewhere, but that didn’t happen, so I’m seeing if there’s something I can do. It’s a Sterling Music Man Sub bass. When I plug it in, it makes almost no sound. Sometimes, a random note will come through when playing the E string, but it’s super low volume and farty. They are active pickups, but I just put a new battery in. If anyone has any idea of the issue, that’s be awesome.
Gatorpunch.bandcamp.com
Stinkbug

involved
involved

Re: Bass Issue Help

Postby kosta » Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm

I would start by checking the wires at the input jack and work my way backwards to the pickups from there. Seems like some shorted wiring in there somewhere. Could also be bad pickups, but stuff like that is more commonly caused by wiring issues I'd say.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Pepe » Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm

I would start at looking at the potentiometer's or output jack's wires. Especially potentiometer wires are prone to breaking when the nuts aren't tightened, because you turn the whole thing until something breaks. I've seen that in numerous guitars in the shop I used to work (doesn't exist anymore).
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Stinkbug » Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 am

Awesome! Thanks, I’ll definitely check out the wiring this weekend when I’m over.
Gatorpunch.bandcamp.com
Stinkbug

involved
involved

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects