Guess this is a build thread now: Baby's First Jazzmaster

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 am

So... I have been looking at super cheap chinese parts on ebay for no reason really for quite some time. Recently though I have had some jazzmaster gas and I realized the neck from this peavey guitar I've pulled apart would look super cool on a jazzmaster. It is also like a cheap neck so pairing it with a disaster of a basswood body wouldnt feel wrong.

I made some other thread earlier were I asked could get custom parts. After this I realized I should probably just get better at doing shit myself and I feel like finishing is something very intimidating that I really need to get around. I wanna try out nitro finishes because: 1. You can get them in cans from gitarrdelar.se and 2. I have no respect for any instrument I own and nitro is supposed to look good when you beat it and scratch it and not like chunk off.

What I'm really asking though if its possible to put on two or more layers of nitro in different colours and have them not chip down to the wood immediately. What I wanna do is get the look of a guitar where the original finish has been painted over like alot of relic guitars have but not doing any relicing and wear it down like the awful guitar owner I am. There is some butt ugly James Hetfield ESP that gets this pretty well but its like different shades of shit-colour. This should work right and not just wear down to the wood directly since nitro is kinda glossy so the paint shouldn't stick that well? Should I use more paint than suggested for a normal finish? I read 1 and a half cans is what is required so if i get one of each I feel I should be set. Kinda worried about the paint glowing through cause I want the top layer to be white and have red underneath.

I know I shouldn't really be worried about much cause I'm just building a custom Squire in essence (if even that :lol:) so fucking up isn't that big of a deal since the bodies I have found are like 70 bucks each. I would be nice to have some input though on how to make a crappy guitar look as awful as possible

The shitty ESP btw:Image
(seriously jesus christ that colour scheme is awful)
Last edited by qersty on Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Painted over relic (without the relic)

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 am

I have no idea what you're askin', but that color scheme is horrible. :barf:

I've seen a lot of really nice instruments for sale with one finish color over another though. :idk: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am

Chankgeez wrote:I have no idea what you're askin', but that color scheme is horrible. :barf:

I've seen a lot of really nice instruments for sale with one finish color over another though. :idk: :snax:

Basically if one finish chips off before the one underneath does so i get spots of the bottom layer poking through and not just the wood. I think it wall work though If I don't sand it down too much. I feel most of the people who do this though have a modern more durable finish underneath, which obviously does not wear as easily as nitro.
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am

Like worst case I could begin with a layer of poly or whatever but then that wouldnt wear as sexily
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:11 am

Nash Guitars, who I see doing a lot of what they call "paint over paint" finishes, say "All of our finishes are 100% nitrocellulose lacquer, hand mixed in small batches.". Leading me to believe that both finish colors are nitro. :idk:

https://www.nashguitars.com/colorindex

Seems to be the same process with Fender "color-over-color":

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/series/ ... -sunburst/
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:37 am

Should work then unless I fuck up really badly. Thank you.

Now I better order a body before i change my mind :lol:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 am

:thumb:

Yeah, you may wanna look more into the process. I'm not sure exactly how it's applied. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:14 pm

http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html
I found this link which explains how fender did their finishes. Apparently they used rejected sunbursts as a base to cheap out on white paint. I think the trick should be putting a clear coat between the finishes if I want the see-through effect. If you put the finishes directly on top of each other it becomes just like a ring around the wear. Thinking of maybe doing a burgundy mist base and clearcoat that and put red on and white directly on the red would be a really cool effect.
This guitar in the article has pretty smexy layering

Also a little fun learning about this. I thought the effect I was after comes from people refinish guitars at home and not bothering with the paint
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm

looking at the fender color over paisley guitars. wonder if i could do something like that with water decals...
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:42 pm

The best cover color is gray. Paint gray over the red, then you should be able to do the white over that!
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:37 am

JonnyAngle wrote:The best cover color is gray. Paint gray over the red, then you should be able to do the white over that!

As in avoiding any bleed-through happening?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Thu May 02, 2019 4:53 am

The body has arrived! Impressed by it for the price though the neck pocket is not perfect which I'm a little bummed about, it seems also like they tried to fix it with sawdust or something. Not gonna attempt to fix it cause I know that I would just fuck it up more. Whatever! I paid next to nothing so there isn't much to expect. Gonna have to do some research and see if spending a buttload of money on a legit tailpiece is worth it or not. Probably gonna get a roller bridge for it.

Also I'm considering to abandon the original idea for the finish and simply go with burgundy mist as I am sceptical that my ideo would work. I've also just really dug pictures of burgundy mist jazzmasters.

I'll get back once I've gotten things planned out more. First I need to figure out how I should get the neck mounting holes right
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 02, 2019 9:45 am

Burgundy Mist is nice too! :!!!: :love: :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Guess this is a build thread now: Baby's First Jazzmaste

Postby qersty » Tue May 14, 2019 5:25 am

Put the neck and pickguard on to get the drilling done, looks alright! a little off
Ok alot off... This made me cry honestly but hey it works and is straight
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kosta » Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am

Youch. Is it still straight, through to the bridge and tailpiece? You might want to check before you get too far down the road, in case you need to dowel the bolt holes in the neck or body and redrill them.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects