Strat Abuse - What should I do with this guitar?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Strat Abuse - What should I do with this guitar?

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Do you guys have recommendations of what type paint to use for this? I'm thinking the slime green, or pastel of some sort, suggestion is the direction I'm gonna go.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Adamadamadam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Changing tack back to electronics, for the Jag I'm building I plan to turn the rhythm circuit into a simple control for a contact mic attached to the trem plate. That output will be connected to the ring of a stereo jack, and I'll knock together a simple breakout-box so it can have its own effects loop down the line. I'm no EE so do your own research, but it looks like Alembic's Stratoblaster circuit has enough input impedance to make a contact mic not sound wretched. Just another idea.
Adamadamadam

committed
committed

Postby WORMDIRT » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:40 am

An old bandmate of mine put a guitar body on a lazy Susan and spun it and dripped paint on it while stoned as fuck. Looked pretty rad. A more serious suggestion would be to do a carvin style crazy pickup switching system where you can coil tap and split and reverse phases and whatever. Put a super hard on boost on a switch in it.
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:38 pm

Damn, I still haven't done anything more with this project haha. Thanks for the reminder!

Need to clean up the reshaping, and do a little wood filler work before anything else.

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 am

Jero wrote:Damn, I still haven't done anything more with this project haha. Thanks for the reminder!

Need to clean up the reshaping, and do a little wood filler work before anything else.

Yeah I didn't notice the post dates. Good luck dude :thumb:
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 am

just take it out behind the barn and shoot it like Old Yeller and put it out of its misery.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Jero » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:10 pm

dubkitty wrote:just take it out behind the barn and shoot it like Old Yeller and put it out of its misery.

Oh come on, it isn't that bad

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Jero wrote:
dubkitty wrote:just take it out behind the barn and shoot it like Old Yeller and put it out of its misery.

i think he's sayin' he wants you to paint it yellow. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
Jero wrote:

i think he's sayin' he wants you to paint it yellow. :idk:

:lol: I'm not opposed to that. I'm still thinking either toxic neons or pastels, with the pickguard swapped or painted flat black, and some inky drips from the pickup holes. Plus some fun electronic nonsense. I really need to fix that fucked up back side by the neck pocket and clean up the upper horn before anything else.

...I've also considered doing another one of the asteroids space paint jobs like I did on one of those Out There Echos a while back. That way, when it inevitably end ups just sitting around unused, it will at least look interesting :hobbes:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Jero wrote:I really need to fix that fucked up back side by the neck pocket and clean up the upper horn before anything else.

Another way to go.. do you have a powered hand planer or a belt sander.. :idea:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Jero » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
Jero wrote:I really need to fix that fucked up back side by the neck pocket and clean up the upper horn before anything else.

Yes to the belt sander. What do you have in mind? Take it all the way down? :snax:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:11 am

Jero wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:

Yes to the belt sander. What do you have in mind? Take it all the way down? :snax:

:lol:
Not exactly.. you could taper the body from the end to where your gouges are giving you a thinner heel and that "I meant to do that" charm :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:56 am

seriously, though, i'd take down the other horn to match the one you re-did, for a sort of Mustang/Duo Sonic effect. i love the left-hand access on my Duo.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Jero » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
Jero wrote:Yes to the belt sander. What do you have in mind? Take it all the way down? :snax:

:lol:
Not exactly.. you could taper the body from the end to where your gouges are giving you a thinner heel and that "I meant to do that" charm :thumb:

Oooo I like the way you think :cool: good call.

dubkitty wrote:seriously, though, i'd take down the other horn to match the one you re-did, for a sort of Mustang/Duo Sonic effect. i love the left-hand access on my Duo.

:thumb: That was kind of the goal when I started! Something between a mustang and a g'n'l fallout...but for some reason I stopped somewhere in the "what the hell?" department :lol: ...and I have since acquired a fallout.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat May 11, 2019 5:47 am

I would re-do the finish. I have an el-cheapo peavey strat and when I pulled the finish I noticed it had a layer of veneer on the front and back, looks like yours has that too. idk if it bothers you as much as it bothered me, I was planning a natural finish so it was not nice looking to me (still need to pick that project back up lol). It would be alot more work tho since you have to do filler and shit.

btw love the mirror pickguard, psych as fuck
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects